Protein Bars

50andFabulous
on 9/24/11 1:15 am - TX
My surgery was 16 August and i'm still feeling like i can't quite get all my protein in.  I have been handling food very well but am now considering protein bars.  I bought two Met-RX bars the other day but i'm afraid to try them.  One has 26 gr of sugar!!  The other has 2g sugar and 28g sugar alcohol!!!!!  Is it just me or does this seem really high!  I don't want to dump!!!  Can anyone give me any suggestions on what protein bars work for you and what i need to be looking for when choosing a protein bar.  Also am I to early out to even be considering protein bars?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 1:18 am - OH
Some protein bars are very high in calories and in sugar.  I would not eat one with 26 grams of sugar, I would dump on that.

How about the Atkins protein bars?  They are low in calories and sugar.  I like the chocolate chip granola ones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Becca R.
on 9/24/11 1:36 am - WA
I like the "pure protein" ones the best they have 20g of protein and only 3 sugar plus they are not as large as some of the other brands out there so I can easily eat it in one setting. and they are pretty soft and creamy so I would say you might be able to call it a soft food if your still in the phase. You just have to read labels and make sure that it has enough protein to justify the calories/carbs and if the sugar content is low enough. you have to try a bunch before you find some you like.  
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
hedrider
on 9/24/11 2:00 am - Midlothian, TX
Not all protein bars have no added sugar.  As a matter of fact, most are LOADED with sugar.  You have to check the labels and the ingredients list.  When I have a protein bar I 99.99% of the time use Pure Protein.  The chocolate chocolate chip one is my favorite.  I've had the Atkins bars, the Think Thin bars, Oh Yeah, and a few of the others - and all are good but I always come back to the Pure Protein.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Paula F.
on 9/24/11 2:54 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Some of the bars are for body builders looking to put on mass.  It sounds like maybe you got those.  Kelly's suggestions are good.  I should have read the rest of the posts first, because I too am interested in getting more protein in, but not sure when I can attempt the bars.  I know not yet, as I am still in pureed stage.  Also, I have heard many good things about Quest protein bars.  If you like them on Facebook, sometimes they send out free samples.  I got one in the mail preop, but one of my kids ate it before I could get a taste! LOL
dufiedog
on 9/24/11 7:13 am
Absolutely love the Quest bars.  Great stats.

redheadjean
on 9/24/11 10:02 am - Canton, MI
I echo the last poster.  Quest bars are my favorite.  You have to order online and pay shipping, but they are worth it.  20 grams of protein, 15 grams of fiber (and I have trouble getting enough fiber), 1 g sugar, and no sugar alchohols!  The chocolate brownie is the absolute best and I just ordered a box of the new peanut butter and jelly flavor.  The vanilla ones are great too.
Jean  
50andFabulous
on 9/24/11 11:57 pm - TX
Jean,  what is the website that i can order these from?  That choclate brownie sounds delicious!

Most Active
Recent Topics