Stricture and Ulcers who knew?

SkyHarborGirl
on 9/23/11 10:02 am
Today I had an EGD an to my surprise not only was I dealing with a stricture, I have ulcers in my pouch!  They dialated my stricture and gave me a prescription for the ulcers.  It is nice to know that not being able to eat 'wasn't in my head' like everyone kept telling me.  Now waiting for the meds to kick in so that I can begin to feel like myself again.

immafatgirl
on 9/23/11 10:07 am - KY
Wonder what caused the ulcers?. get well soon. at least u have meds now. good luck
Loveshinesthru
on 9/23/11 10:14 am - Mesa, AZ
 I heard coffee and pepper can give you ulcers and if your meds get stuck in your pouch they can too.. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

emt_amy
on 9/23/11 12:36 pm - MN
I'm going to get scoped tomorrow morning at 730. I've been throwing up a lot lately.
rbb825
on 9/23/11 1:49 pm - Suffern, NY
Did he do a biopsy for HPylori?  This is a bacteria that causes ulcers?  Did you have an Endoscopy as part of your preop testing to be tested for Hpylori?  Many surgeons require this to prevent ulcers so early out.  Have you been on a PPI since surgery?  What did he give you for the ulcer?  Carafate and a PPI?

Have you taken any NSAIDS?  Pepto bismol?  Caffeine?  Smoking?  Alcohol?  Steroids? any of these things can cause ulcers early out or just not taking a PPI.  whatever the cause, you need to get it healed and prevent it from coming back,.  You need to make sure he did a biopsy for HPylori though because if it is an ulcer caused by the bacteria, it will never heal without antibiotics.  In that case, you need something called the Prevpac.

After 8 weeks, either way, you need to be rescoped to make sure the ulcer healed.

BugdocMom
on 9/23/11 2:49 pm - CA
If your doc prescribed carafate, you'll feel relief almost immediately. That stuff is a miracle drug. Good luck. Hope you are able to eat comfortably soon.
SkyHarborGirl
on 9/23/11 11:19 pm
My ulcers were caused by the irritation of the blood vessels in my stomach, now pouch from the bypass.  No biopsy was needed.  They said the ulcers were from nothing that I did or didn't do and that some people just have sensitive stomach tissue.  Unfortunately the prescription that the doctor gave me was not legible to the pharmacist and so they called the doctor for verification (i.e. they wanted to give me horse pills but I told them liquid is the only thing I can take) but the doctors office never called back before the end of day which means I now have to wait until Monday or Tuesday depending on if the pharmacy has what he is requesting.  The prescription is for Sucralfate.  I guess I will be a liquid drinker for a few more days.  Trying to make the best of it.  I thought I would go shopping for some new clothes today to take my mind off of it :D

Sunny64
on 9/23/11 11:30 pm
I had my surgery a week after yours and am being treated for ulcers too.  I would do what you can to get the script.  I felt better within 10 minutes of taking the meds.  I got a generic pepcid that is called Famotidine and the generic Carafate which is Sucralfate, together they were pretty cheap.  I am also on liquids for 3-4 days.  I appreicated the post about Hpylori as I had that before.  I will call back the office next week to see if I need to do anything else.  Love the Vets :)

Sunny64
on 9/23/11 11:36 pm
I forgot.  The Sucralfate looks like a horse pill, but you put it in 3tsp of water and it dissolves in like 15 seconds.  Really cool to watch it expand-FYI  Tastes like chalk, but hey, it works.  So if he was trying to give you that, it dissolves in water.  

Most Active
Recent Topics