1 month appts..

Casey P.
on 9/20/11 9:18 am
 I've been there, it's surprising how little medical professionals know/have the same info about Bariatric medicine, I kinda just laugh it off, the only thing I can say is about the B12, the NUT 's reasoning is sound, the B12 goes and cycles through your system and you lose a little each cycle so if you take it daily a lot more just will be cycled out and like she said, you'll just end up wasting money....You know your stuff, but you should try and find a better NUT.
"I'm not here to change lives"-Me
"You're no fun anymore"- Monty Python

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011
   "Let's try this again..."

poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 9:23 am - OH
The Anerican Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we should take 350-5000 mcg B12 daily (unless our labs indicate we need more) so taking 1000 mcg only once a week probably wouldn't be enough.  I know we do pee out any "extra" that we take in, but taking it daily doesn't mean we are taking extra that will be peed out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 9/20/11 9:18 am - MN
 AAwww we don't have whole foods here that i know of so i might just have to order the chews.  Some of them hurt my teeth...i fully expect i will be losing what i have left of real teeth within the next few years because of this surgery..this is a good thing thoughl....lol  

I did remember we have a vitamin shoppe here so i drove over to the next town to check that place out.  I found these 1000 IU's of D3 and K and you just take one a day.  They melt in your mouth.  Quite spendy but thats all they had except for liquid and i wasn't sure about that?  

Good job Dan complaining.  You did an awesome job and evidentally got them thinking there are other ways of doing things.  Really i feel sorry for all the people behind me coming in and getting misinformed.  I feel blessed to have you all to constantly answer my questions about this stuff.  And i thought exactly the same way about the tests Kelly.  Thats the thing that sucks.  But trust me i will tell them what i am taking. I thought of doing things their way for the first 6 months just to see but i would rather not.  I need those vitamins.  

Keep the chatter flowing...its a good place to complain..lol and my 1st NUT appt. after surgery...i think it should have been longer i mean i am learning how to eat all over again and i really needed the food information.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 9:25 am - OH
Is 1000 IU D3 enough for you right now?  Wasn't your vitamin D level low before surgery?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

weein
on 9/20/11 10:02 am - CA
Did people know that there is a difference between a registered dietitian and a nutritionist. A RD is monitored by the state they work in and have to pass regulated exams. They also have have a BA degree and most have post graduate degree work.  A nutritionist doesn't have to have any formal training at all, although there are programs that you can take for a nutrition degree.   I know many on here have had a lot of problems with there NUT's. One person mentioned that there's was following there "book". So maybe this person hasn't had any formal training. Which I think is sad. I agree we have to advocate for ourselves to get the results we want, but it would be nice to get advice that is at least helpful and not potentially hurtful.   It is just some thing to think about.

Eileen

hlacy
on 9/20/11 2:44 pm - Chandler, AZ
Agreed. I am so glad my surgeon has two dietitians and not NUTs! DIEs likely have CE they have to do, not so sure on NUTs.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

lilbear412
on 9/20/11 12:07 pm - MN
 I am not sure if that will be enough?  1000 a day?  they did have  5000's too.   I need to try the upcal. Now my stomach is feeling better.  

It is sad that really my NUT got frustrated because she knew that i knew more than her?  Not trying to be big headed because i DON"T know everything thus the questions constantly but really i know a lot...lol  I think i might print out the ASmBS stuff to give to her and at least let her read up on it.  Maybe she will pass the word on to others and who knows..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 12:33 pm - OH
I think she probably was bothered because you knew more about the ASMBS recommendations for multivitamins and B12 than she did, yes.  And no, you don't know everything, but you know the basics and you're intelligent enough to know what questions to ask and to think about things and to use some common sense.  Maybe you should print out the info and give it to her.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.