It's killer waiting to meet all insurance requirements.

maimeem71
on 9/5/11 12:20 am - ID
I've started the process of getting approved thru insurance for gastric bypass and the time is going by so slow. I wi**** could go by faster. How did everyone in my position pass the time? Help
johnsoca
on 9/5/11 1:24 am - Madison, AL
I used the time to start practicing life after bypass -- I cut out carbonated drinks, which was a biggie for me because I was hooked on Diet Coke! I started drinking protein shakes for breakfast. I started counting protein grams and increasing my protein intake to the 90-100 gram a day level. I cut way back on carbs.  I started walking to increase my endurance and get back into the habit of exercising. I lost 30 lbs before surgery and I think that all the work I did before surgery really helped make my transition easier after surgery.

tahoelady1958
on 9/5/11 1:27 am - reidsville, NC
RNY on 01/16/12
i wish i could tell you, but i am in the same boat as you...i have done all the testing(glad all of that is behind me) but now i am in month 2 of the doctor's weight  loss program required by fed bcbs..i have been absorbing all the knowledge i can from these boards for the last 6 months...not a contributor yet with questions or answers, cuz i dont even know when or if i will be approved...but hopefully both of us will be on the other side SOON!!!
nfarris79
on 9/5/11 1:45 am - Germantown, MD
 Mine was a 6 month long process, so there was plenty to do - - scheduling dr visits, attending follow-ups with all the drs, sticking to a fairly restrictive plan..... My advise is to start attending support groups; even postop groups, if just to sit in and hear what you'll face after surgery. I followed this forum alot, especially during my 2 week preop liquid diet when I needed to avoid the kitchen to not go insane. I recommend this book: "Eat It Up" by Connie Stapleton PhD. It's good to start to get into the mentality that you'll need to face for the rest of this journey. The more work you do now, the easier it can be on you. Fill your mind, face your demons, memorize your plan - - that oughta keep you busy!! 
Good luck!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

maimeem71
on 9/5/11 1:54 am - ID
Thanks for the book tip and that's a great idea to attend the support groups.
maimeem71
on 9/5/11 1:51 am - ID
Thanks for the replies. @Johnsonoca those are some good ideas. Did you find a specific plan to follow or did you get the info from the doctor. I do need to start now.
@tahoelady1958 I know it sucks. I was hoping to get started sooner the cost for the surgery is cheaper then all the diets I have failed.
johnsoca
on 9/5/11 12:24 pm - Madison, AL
The first month or so I simply cut back on my portions and avoided carbs. After my first appointment with my NUT, I started following his suggestions. Any high-protein, low carb plan would work, though. If you already have your doc's post-op plan, you can start eating the foods on it. You don't need to reduce your portion sizes to post-op quantities, though. Just  stick to sensible portion sizes and no seconds.

Dave Chambers
on 9/5/11 2:02 am - Mira Loma, CA
Use this time to begin adapting your current lifestyle to comply with post op lifestyle.  You'll lose some wt and establish some great habits. If you smoke, STOP now.  Smoking causing severe ulcer issues to almost all post ops who begin smoking again after surgery.  Find a support group, and listen to the post ops there discuss how they've dealt with issues they've faced post op.  Drink plenty of water, as drinking enough water post ops is a major challenge for many. Give up sodas. Do these things one per week, don't try to make a lot of changes in one week. Begin any exercise you can physically do, starting with walking, etc.  It took me 8 months from my PCP referral to my surgical date.  I had to repeat some testing, as my surgeon wanted to veryify some items.  Be patient.  Listen to these forums, as most posters here try to be very helpful.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 28 replies · 166 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 43 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 314 views