Increase in Cholesterol--WTH???

shannon0731
on 8/26/11 1:55 am - LA

Had my appointment  with Doctor today and got results of Blood work done 8/5--1month post op.

Good news is A1C came down from 8.1 to 6.5.  Protein was a little low, but I was just getting into protein. (dietitian had told me to be at 40-45 grams at that point!! I upped it to 70-80g and have been since right around that time, so I am thinking that will be better next time.

Cholesterol went up! Total from 190-203
HDL down from 64 to 42'
LDL up from 102 to 137.
Triglycerides up from 120 to 122

Also, Red blood count, hematicrit and hemoglobin were low but I think that is because I was not having any meat and had just started iron. I am now taking more iron so I think that will come up as well.

but this cholesterol has me pissed!! any thoughts of why and how I can get it to go the other way--back in range at least?!

Thanks!!

Oh and down 25 pounds since surgery!!

Shannon

I'm Ready!

gbsinsatx
on 8/26/11 2:02 am - San Antonio, TX
 I had a spike in my Cholesterol at my 12 month labs. It was 215!!! My doctor could not explain it. I am a Vegetarian and eat a low fat/no fat diet. Pre-op it was 177. I had it re-tested at 16 months out and it was 135. 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/26/11 2:03 am
This is insignificant change - that low change may  be due to just measurement error.

And as your body is buring its own fat - it releases the fat and cholseterol stored in your fat cells, liver, etc.   It may be high for a while- as you lose weight, heal, etc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chris_ruff
on 8/26/11 2:05 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
was it fasting bloodwork or after a meal? my cholesterol went up after surgery too, but then back down to normal. i wouldn't stress it too much unless you see a trend in your next labs. congrats on the 1st 25!
--Christina
nfarris79
on 8/26/11 2:07 am - Germantown, MD
 I would wonder about the difference between diet-based high cholesterol and age or genetically-related high cholesterol. Also, being fairly new out may not show too many good changes at first but when they retest you might see it go back down? Exercise, if you can tolerate it, helps with the good cholesterol.
Mine went from 260s preop to now normal and I'm 4 months postop! My surgeon even advised me to talk to my PCP about thinking of taking me off Crestor - yipee!!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

msromagnola
on 8/26/11 3:35 am
Mine went up too.  My doc said he expected to see it in all patients.  He explained that the weight loss itself caused it - I guess fat melting into our blood, ha!  I don't know the science of it, but my doc did tell me that when my levels were up.  They were lower at 1 year, but still higher than I want.  Let's see about my next year's report - I'm not losing anymore, so if his theory is correct, it should go down.

MSROMAGNOLA
docd
on 8/26/11 5:20 am - AZ
FWIW....that increase in LDL is not insignificant
I wouldn't act on it with medications, but it is far better off in double digits.

I'd keep a close eye on it.
rbb825
on 8/26/11 6:21 pm - Suffern, NY
Was this bloodwork fasting?  Were you on cholesterol meds preop and then go off them when you had surgery?  When you have surgery, you need to go in fasting - no food or drink other than water for atleast 10 hours.  Many people dont realize this and have breakfast before there labs and wonder why there cholesterol and sugar numbers are all bonkers.  If this is the case, then ignore them - if they were fasting then I would recheck them in 2 months and see if they go down.  IF they go up again, then I would be concerned.  The number that is most alarming is the LDL, so I would jus****ch what you eat and take some Omega 3's.

If you are already showing anemic, then you need to catch it quick.  Make sure you are taking iron and the proper iron.  You want to be taking carbonyl iron - you can get it at vitalady.com it is called Tender irons - they are 60mg capsules and have the necessary vitamin C in them to help you absorb them better.  They are also easy on the stomach and non-constipating. These are the type of irons that we need post op in order to absorb them.  ANything with ferrous in the name, dont' waste your money.  These are cheap - come in a bottle of 400.  I would say take 2- 3 per day - all at one time. I can't say exactly since I dont' know your levels - iron, ferritin, iron Sat, hemoglobin, hemacrit, rbc, mcv

You also want to be careful with your B12 - this is also a vitamin that can drop really fast.  Make sure you are taking a minimum of 1000mcg daily of sublingual B12 - many need alot more.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 28 replies · 150 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 40 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 313 views