Pre Op Diet

lilbear412
on 8/20/11 10:00 am - MN
 What are you doing for your pre op diet and what are you eating?  RNY

Me.....i am on a TEN day liquid high protein diet..broth, Carnation Instant Milk, tea, milk, jello, water, propel, coffee....   I am on day 6 and starving..seriously..lol
TexasBlossom
on 8/20/11 10:07 am - TX
Don't forget to try an get some protein drinks in there, as well as some broth ect. My pre-op plan also includes veggies such as artichokes and such. but it's a 14 day diet.
Life's Short. Pray Hard.
Shirley O.
on 8/20/11 10:14 am - NM
 I have 3 shakes a day using the Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement powder (was advised to use this because of the fiber, vitamins and minerals in it in additon to protein).  I add either skim milk or a small amount of fruit to the shake.  Then I have one soup per day using the OptiFast chicken or tomato soup packets.  Other than that, I 'm having water and decaf tea.  The salt really helps, I think.

I'm on day 10.  The first two days were terrible.  Since then, except for dizziness, it's been ok.  I know when the protein runs out I have to quickly get something.  Weekends are harder, no question.   

I don't see much protein in your diet;  what about some whey isolate protein to add to broth.  They also recommended Body Fortres whey isolate protein from Walmart.
Highest Weight 280, Surgery Weight  240  Current Weight 164  Goal Weight  140

Shirley
New Mexico

gabbyabby
on 8/20/11 10:15 am
 I wish I got veggies.  I would eat raw lima beans right about now.  I guess those prolly are not even a veggie.  well I would eat raw waxed beans.  (and I HATE those).  LOL

wynter57
on 8/20/11 10:21 am - Panama City, FL
Isn't it funny how when you are on a liquid diet, even stuff you normally don't crave sounds SO delicious!?!?
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

lilbear412
on 8/20/11 10:28 am - MN
 YES Wynter.  My Protein comes from the Carnation Instant Milk Essentials.  Thats all i am allowed.  i am about to embark on my home made vegie soup.  I usually haven't eaten any of the vegies but i think i might bite into a few.  The chewing is something i think i miss.  

poet_kelly
on 8/20/11 10:46 am - OH
How much protein is in the carnation instant milk?  That doesn't quite look like a high protein diet to me.  I understand it's what your doc told you to do.  I'm just saying, it doesn't seem like very much protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 8/20/11 2:27 pm - MN
 CARNATION® BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS drink is a great-tasting, nutritious breakfast drink that provides balanced nutrition. Each serving provides approximately 220-250 calories. This creamy drink also provides at least 25% of the Daily Value of B vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, B12) which help convert food to energy. Start your morning with one glass of CARNATION® BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS Drink — with 21 essential vitamins and minerals, 25% daily value of protein, and 50% daily value of calcium per serving.

It also says it has TWO times the protein of an egg.   I am suppose to drink 5 to 6 a day but have been drinking 4 or 5 instead.  I only like the milk chocolate and it gets a bit to sweet for me.   I see that Nestle's makes other drinks for the bariatric patient also.  

I have lost almost 10 lbs in a week.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 8/20/11 2:30 pm - OH
Two times the protein of an egg is not very much protein.  Eggs have just six or seven grams of protein.  Carnation instant breakfast, if mixed with milk, has about 13 grams of protein.  Yeah, twice as much as an egg, but still not very much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 8/20/11 3:47 pm - MN
 Yeah your probably right and yes its mixed with milk..tomorrow i will eat some cheese. ha!!  actually its only 10 days so i am not worried much.  i will sneak in more protein even tho i am not suppose to eat.  I am starving and a little protein can't hurt.  I will be doing an all  liquid day the day before surgery with the magnesium citrate which my doc actually told me i don't need to do as i have a history of it making me sick.  But i will do some anyways.   Thanks!!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 212 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 278 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?