Pot Smoking after Surgery

poet_kelly
on 8/18/11 2:05 am - OH
I've never tried it.  When I used to work for a hospice, I had some terminally ill clients that used pot so they could get food down.  People with cancer and AIDS seemed to find it really helpful.  I don't think I had any clients that smoked every time they ate, though.  They just did it at times they felt particularly nauseous.

Have you talked to your doc about why you can't get food down without pot?  Because while that seems to be pretty common with endstage cancer or AIDS, it's not normal five months after RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 2:33 am - Columbus, OH
 My next appt w/my surgeon is in Sept and was going to mention it then...  Although I am a bit nervous to bring it up  lol
poet_kelly
on 8/18/11 4:32 am - OH
I wouldn't worry too much.  Surely your surgeon knows some people smoke pot.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/18/11 2:38 am - Baltimore, MD
I've never smoked anything but I just want to thank you. The fact that you asked that question made my whole day and gives me new hope that we can, in fact, be a supportive community here.

In general, I am concerned about something though. Some nausea/pain is normal at first, but if you get in the habit of smoking to alleviate that you might miss what nausea/gut pain is meant to be which is a warning sign. I'd hate for you to get sick off of something because your senses were dulled by the marijuana (I like that better than "pot") and you didn't notice something was making you a bit ill.

So watch out for that. But again...THANK YOU! Most interesting thread in a loooong time.
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 2:59 am - Columbus, OH
 I was hoping for no judgements when I posted this...and got none.  I'm convinced we can be a super supportive community.  YAY!  :)

I honestly just got so sick of tossing almost every bit of protein I put into my body.  Tuna.  Barf.  Chicken.  Barf.  Turkey.  Barf.  You get the idea here?  I was eating DORITO's, which was all my body would let me keep down.  Flipping DORITO's??  Isn't that what I should be avoiding?  LOL

ANYWAY, It's definitely gotten better...but I do still smoke from time to time..ok, just about every day.  My job is stressful and I enjoy just letting go when I get home.

I do think of transferance tho....so I worry (god I worry about everything, really!) about that to an extent...and I'm keeping an eye on it.  So is my family! LOL

Silk911
on 8/18/11 7:35 am
Hi Chi Chi,

Thank you so much for a thread like this... !!!

I don't smoke pot but I might as well.... my hubby smokes it everyday before meals accept in the morning. He has an awful form of arthritis that attacks his internal organs as well as his bones.

Hi Arthritis has robbed him of an appetite. He now weighs about 115 lbs and is 5'10". Very underweight. The pot, not only, takes away most of the inflamation and dulls the pain in his bones but also gives him the 'munchies' and he can eat a whole meal again.

If it's too cold outside for him to smoke it, he smokes it in the house and I get the munchies too... lol.. even though I'm full, I want to eat more and more. So I've trained myself to grab a sugar free hard candy and suck on it instead of eating.

I was having trouble with keeping food down and my dietician taught me a trick. She said that my stomach needed to be 'primed' to be able to accept food. I thought it was a little weird but I listened. She said that about a half hour before eating to slowely drink a 1/2 cup of skim milk. It would prepare my stomach for food.

So I tried it for a week. Ya know what?? it worked like a dream. So while I'm making a meal, I have a little glass of milk to drink and get my stomach ready for food. You just need to make sure you finish the glass at least 15 mintues before eating to ensure that the stomach is empty.

Have fun, be careful of the transferrance and the amounts you will eat in the future with the munchies. My motto, Do whatever works for you!!

antntar
on 8/18/11 4:26 am - philadelphia, PA
So now after all the other responses we see that pot can be addicting...which means you will be getting the "munchies " often...which means your gonna, in the long run, probably end up eating either more then you should be or the wrong stuff...then your next post will be how did I put all of this weight back on?! let your body adjust to the surgery and go through what it needs to go through in order to heal and help you reach your goal weight. Why are you knowingly sabotaging yourself? Find other protein sources....eat slower...take smaller bites.... you will figure out how to eat and  keep it down.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 4:40 am - Columbus, OH
 LOL  well, I've been occassionally smoking for...oh...20 years or so.  I've stopped for years and then here and there indulge.  I'm definitely not addicted...but I CAN see how it can be helpful to ppl with chronic pain, etc.  I don't get "munchies"...I still have to force myself to eat whatever it is I'm eating...but I've noticed that it just makes it easier.  I've tried every protein source.  Meat (chicken, tuna, turkey, fish, hamburger, pork), Beans/Nuts, Shakes, etc.  I eat slow, I chew and chew until it's liquid, etc etc...

I don't believe I am sabotoging myself.  I am super sensitive to that, and definitely keep an eye out for anything I may be doing...as I said, I worry about everything... 

I just noticed that it makes it so much easier to eat what I am supposed to be eating.  I suppose eating after taking a hit or two is better than eating and tossing it and getting nothing! :-/

JerseyJim
on 8/18/11 4:58 am - Sayre, PA
Aren't you concerned about discussing your pot smoking on an open Internet forum like this?  It's not like you are anonymous.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 5:26 am - Columbus, OH
 Nope  :)
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 478 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 388 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 399 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?