QUESTIONS ABOUT RNY

Ladytazz
on 8/18/11 4:09 pm
You and me both!
My GERD was terrible with the sleeve.  I took Prilosec daily but still had it so bad I would throw up acid often.  Since my stomach has been made into a pouch I have been off all PPIs for about 9 months and no symptoms.  I was told that often the RNY cures reflux but not always.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/18/11 6:55 pm - OH
1) my surgeon only required 2 days of liquids (clear liquids only the day after surgery and full liquids on day 2)... I came home from the hospital on soft foods.  No matter what your surgeon's post-op food plan is, you will likely not feel like eating for AT LEAST several weeks and sometimes for a couple of months

2)  I had open RNY (and 8-in*****ision from breastbone to waist) so I had quite a bit of pain for a couple of weeks.

3) How much sugar you can tolerate varies from one person to another.  Only 30% of people with RNY dump on sugar... which means that about 70% (almost 3/4) DON'T get sick from too much sugar at all.  Of those who DO dump, some dump on only a little bit of sugar and some people (like me) don't dump unless they have a lot of sugar.  Also, some people's reaction to sugar fades over time. I can eat an average size piece of cake with no problem as long as I eat only a little bit of the icing.  I can also eat almost half a cup of regular (high-fat, high-sugar**** cream like Haagen Dazs befor I start to feel bad. I dumped more easily during my first year post-op.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

flyingwoman
on 8/18/11 10:55 pm
Liquids wasn't hard to get through. The very first day was hard not because of hunger but because of thirst... the day after surgery, your insides are swollen and you have to be careful not to drink too much at once. I think that's true for many surgeries. I didn't experience hunger for months... still don't 100%

2.0 My RNY was lap, the only thing I found hard was i couldn't sleep on my side for 1 week, so my muscles in my back hurt (b/c I am a big side sleeper). I was able to move and walk very early on and was off pain meds by the day I came home from the hospital. I occasionally took children's liquid tylenol, that's it.

3.) It's possible you might not be able to have cake, though it's possible you will too. Most of us don't dump, and most dumpers stop at some point, though some stay dumpers forever. What you can't predict or see before you have surgery is how little things like that matter. They seemed like such a HUGE deal to me before, now I don't really care much. I am not a dumper, and at a birthday celebration I might have one bite of cake. I'm happy with that and don't really want more.

Best!

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 412 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 279 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 193 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics