Getting back to work

Marivel_352
on 8/16/11 2:57 pm - TX
 Hi Everyone!

I'm having my Roux-en-Y tomorrow and was wondering what the normal time frame would be to get back to work.

My Dr has me tentatively scheduled to be out for 6 weeks but I'd really like to get back to work in about 2 weeks... what are your thoughts and opinions?  Am I being over optimistic or is this a realistic goal?

Thanks!!

Mari

Peggi211887
on 8/16/11 3:14 pm
I had my surgery last November and thought I could get back to work in 4 weeks. My surgeon told me 6 weeks and although I felt good, I needed the full 6 weeks. It really took about 8 weeks before I felt back to normal.
I wish you well with your surgery. You will be glad you did it. I have lost 160 pounds and still counting!
Peggi
Keith_dizzle
on 8/16/11 4:38 pm - CA
Depending on your job, my dr(kaiser) said 2weeks is doable if you'll be stationary with no bending or lifting of any kind. Therwise minimum 4 weeks. And that's all really depending how your surgery goes and how yo do with food, it might seem doable now that you your a preop but give it a day or two and you might not want to go back so quick.

Either way your doctor has to clear you to do just about everything
BugdocMom
on 8/16/11 4:51 pm - CA
I expected to go back after 2 weeks but, when the time came, I was not ready. I could have done it, but it would have been very difficult. I was still having quite a bit of pain,especially in mornings. More than the discomfort, it is just hard to get used to drinking and eating the right amounts and finding foods that don't make you miserable so soon after surgery. I went back to work slowly after 3 weeks, just a few hours a day. I wasn't able to make it full time until about 6 weeks, but I was exhausted. If you can take the time off, give it to yourself so you can get off on the right foot. This is a HUGE investment in your life, you want to give your new lifestyle every advantage! Best of luck to you!!

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/16/11 9:16 pm - TX
Hi Marivel (Texan too I have an office job and was back to work in 2 weeks with my first week back at work - coming and going as I needed to based on my fatigue level. Back 100% the next week. Good luck tomorrow. We will be thinking of you.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

Mia H.
on 8/16/11 11:56 pm - OH
 What are you having... Open or Lap? 

That really makes a difference.  I had an open RNY and no way would I have been able to return back in 2 weeks to my office job.  I was still in pain and tired very easily.  I went back in 5 (suppose to return in 4, but paperwork hold up).  That was plenty.  Take as much time as you can, because you will need the rest and recovery time plus this is a whole new lifestyle you will have to learn.  Take that time to learn that before worrying about the stress of work IMHO. 

MusicBum05
on 8/17/11 1:50 am - Warren, OH
Pain and healing wise, I could have been back in 2 weeks. However, your entire lifestyle is going to change and you need to take at least a full 4 weeks if you can afford to. I am still out since my surgery was just almost 3 weeks ago. You really need that time to heal, concentrate on getting your liquids and protein and learn your body! Plus, as you progress, do you really want to be at work if you have to vomit or are gassy or have an angry pouch day? It is also important what type of incision they are making. I had mine lap and I can say that for the first week the pain was terrible (although the pain meds were great). If you have open, I would think the pain and healing time would be more. Just listen to your doctor and your body. Either way, you are making the BEST decision for YOU! I am so happy with the results and I can't wait for my weight to start shedding (its usually pretty slow at first while things heal). BEST OF LUCK!! I'm sure you'll have an easy surgery and a smooth recovery! Take it slow, walk often and use the damn pain pump!!
Rachael Richardson
on 8/17/11 3:04 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
Everyone is different and it can depend on the type of work you do. I was still uncomfortable and to nauseated to go back to work at three weeks.

I planned to be out three weeks, however, had to extended my family medical leave.  I went back in five weeks the first week part time.  My job is very stressful and unpredictable. Listen to your body and how you feel...I do not know many people who can go back in two weeks.

Donna

mdolan20
on 8/17/11 10:18 am - Brick, NJ
 I'm a teacher of small groups (so I can sit) with an assistant and I was more than ready to go back at 2 weeks. I just found that I sat more to catch my breath.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Marivel_352
on 8/20/11 6:41 am - TX
Thank you all for your advice :o)  My surgery was on 8/17and it went really well.  I have a little pain but nothing major.  My struggle is getting in all my fluids but I'm slowly building up to that.  Other than the fluids, I'm healing quickly and have no mobility or pain issues.

This has been such a wonderful and inspirational site - Thank you to everyone!!  I know I made the right decision
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views