Sensitive question here from the newbie...

tamtully71
on 8/15/11 12:28 pm
I have been on my liquid diet for a week now and my surgery is in the morning and I feel as though I am extremely constipated!!!!   I have not had bm since I started my liquid diet :(  did any of you experience this feeling???
JodiLee1
on 8/15/11 12:36 pm
You didn't get enough fiber with your liquid diet.  Tell your admission nurse when your last BM was.  You will be on a stool softner after surgery. Miralax after surgery everyday in your drink helps a lot!  Your bowels will be more on the constipated side until you are able to eat more normal foods.  Keep up on stool softners or Miralax.
Jodi

tamtully71
on 8/15/11 12:42 pm
Thank you :)  I bought miralax today and stool softeners as well so I will be sure to tell my nurse in the morning I have never been one to be constipated this is a new feeling for me and an uncomfortable one at that!!!   Do you use benefiber powder in your food or anything???
poet_kelly
on 8/15/11 12:46 pm - OH
I agree with the other poster, it's probably because you didn't get much (or any) fiber on your liquid diet.  And you're not gonna get much the first few weeks after surgery so some benefiber in your protein shakes might be a good idea.  Stool softeners and Miralax are good too.

I know how miserable it is.  I've had a lot of constipation lately.  I think it's a side effect of one of my meds for depression.

Sometimes people end up with very loose stools right after surgery so that might give you some relief.  If you're really miserable, though, you might wanna do an enema tonight.  I'm just thinking you don't wanna be dealing with bad constipation right after surgery when your belly hurts and stuff.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jessica O.
on 8/15/11 2:23 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
No advice but just wanted to say Good Luck!!
Chickenboob
on 8/15/11 9:04 pm - Rockland, Canada
I was taking benefibre and my BM were extremely painful. Then the weight loss nurse told me not to use benefibre until you can get 2L of fluid in per day because it turns to concrete in your intestines.
Firefly48
on 8/15/11 11:45 pm
I ALSO HAD NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE BUT GETTING FIBER IS TOUGH THE FIRST 7-8 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY....ONCE YOU GET THROUGH THIS AND CAN EAT VEGGIES AND FRUITS AND SALADS WHICH I ADD IN EVERY COUPLE DAYS...IT HELPS A LOT. BUT I WAS REGULAR DAILY AND NOW EVERY FEW DAYS...SO IT IS AN ADJUSTMENT YOUR BODY NEEDS TO MAKE.
BEST OF LUCK... 

Carebearny1999
on 8/16/11 2:00 am - Rochester, NY
Probably too late for you now (The time is NEVER right on this thing!) but I'd have taken a laxative if allowed before surgery!  :-(  You do NOT want to go into surgery constipated....Good luck! 

Georgia C.
on 8/16/11 3:22 am - IL
Part of my pre op prep was to drink a bottle of citrate of magnesium the day before surgery. Cleaned me out. Check on it. Maybe do a search here. I know I've seen others mention this. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics