need honest opinions regarding RY surgery.

Pam B.
on 8/7/11 6:24 am
I am considering the ry surgery and need to have honest opinions either for or against this proceedure.  thanks in advance for the advice
Jessica A.
on 8/7/11 6:32 am - Auburn, AL
Personally I researched all types of surgery but in the end my insurance would only cover either the band or RNY.  Before I went to the seminar, I had made up my mind that I was going to do the band.  Then I learned a lot from the seminar and decided to have the RNY instead.  My main reason was the followup visits for adjustments of the band afterwards and the fact that you are putting a foreign device in your body that could potentially break.  I am extremely happy with my choice but it's my decision after much research.  My suggestion to you is read the boards for all the surgeries, research research research, talk to your doctor/surgeon and see what would be best for you.  We can all say whether we had complications or not but the fact is that this is not necessarily what will happen to you.  Good luck on your decision.  I have faith you will find what works for you.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  We are here to help.  :)

griggs.griggs
on 8/7/11 6:51 am - FL
I did alot of reading and studying on my own and talked to people who had WLS and once I talked to my doctor I choose RNY, it is the gold standard in WLS and I wouldn't change haveing the surgery at all I'm happy I did it!!! I wish I hadn't have been so scared and would have done it earlier....

Alicia G.
laura_vermont
on 8/7/11 7:24 am

Before my surgery, I made an appointment with my PCP, to discuss the options with a medical professional -- who would not be profitting from the surgery.  If you're really unsure, consider doing it, my appt was really reassuring.

With any WLS, make sure that you are willing, and able, to do the follow-up for life.  Also, look at the potential complications and see what you can live with. 

Good luck with your decision.

Laura

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Katari
on 8/7/11 7:33 am - OR
Just in case you don't know, there are 4 types of weight loss surgery: the lap band, The VSG, The RNY and the DS. Do your research on those as well.

RNY:

No NSAIDS (asprin, motrin, etc) after surgery. They can increase your chance of ulcers and you DO NOT want those!

Malabsorption of calories is temporary (up to 18 or so months). Malabsorption of vits and minerals FOREVER! You MUST take vitamins the rest of your life! Iron, B12, Calcium citrate, Multi are just the beginning!

Only about 30% of RNY'ers dump so do not count on that to "keep you in line".

Keep an eye out for RH (reactive hypoglycemia) this seems to be more likely with the RNY, but still possible with VSG and DS as well.

Good stats for treating things like: Type 2 diabetes, GERD, High blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc. Depends on what your co-morbidities are. If you do have type 2 diabetes, it's worth looking into the DS as that has even better stats for "curing" type 2!

I had RNY about 2 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. I've had no complications, do not dump, and enjoy having more energy to do everything! I love my RNY!!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

moving-on
on 8/7/11 8:11 am - Rimrock, AZ
Best thing I ever did. Like others said, do your research. I had no complications and feel great.
Pam B.
on 8/8/11 1:32 am
Thanks for all of your positive feedback.  I have done a lot of research, but feel there is still more to learn.  I am not very good at this surfing thing on the internet.  Are there any good links out there that would provide me with more info?
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views