Blood sugars :(

tamtully71
on 7/25/11 8:02 am

I have a surgery date on the 16th of August!!! I am a little worried my last A1C was a 7.9 which they said was fine... I have been struggling with my sugars lately and I only have 3 weeks til surgery... I have only had a few bad days so I am hoping that will not cause my surgery to be pushed back.  I have been really watching what I eat and covering carbs with insulin, I have been cutting way back on my carbs as well, but it is a constant struggle :(  Did anyone else deal with this before surgery and if so did it affect your surgery date and if you have already had surgery how has it affected your diabetes????  I have suffered with diabetes for the last 10 years... my aunt passed away a few years ago due to complications from diabetes and she was over weight as well actually  we have the same body structure and build, but she was a tad but shorter than me... Just wondering if anyone went through this ...   I am so excited to start this journey!!!!

Denise B.
on 7/25/11 9:51 am, edited 7/25/11 9:52 am - Binghamton, NY
Your A1C will get much better with the weight loss.  I had A1C that were all over the place, which is the main reason why I had the surgery, and the last one before the surgery was 7.4.  It has been almost 2 years since my surgery and the current A1C was 5.6 and has been as low as 5.4, which my doctor thinks is wonderful.

Currently for loosing more weight, I have been at a stall for about 9 months.  This is ok with me since I know I am NEVER going to be a tiny person.  I exercise when able, get the protein in along with the water.  I do wish I could get a few more pounds off but loosing 76 pounds will have to do, as I started at 287.  If more comes off, that is a bonus.  My health was the most important thing.

Good luck with your journey!
Get a dream, make it yours, and let no one steal it!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highest weight 285, day of surgery 265, current weight 209, and holding steady.

hellyham
on 7/25/11 10:30 am - ME
I had surgery on may 18th, at that time my A1C was 7.4...when i started this journey my A1C was 10.2..

I saw my doctor today, 12 wks after surgery and my A1C is 5.2...I am no longer diabetic...I hope all works out for you too. Good luck and keep me posted on your journey also.

tamtully71
on 7/25/11 10:39 am
Thank you :)  I am so ready for my sugars to come down and to be able to stop taking insulin!!!  Congrats of your A1C!!!!!   That is so awesome!!!!!
nana2boys
on 7/25/11 11:28 am
I had my surgery 7/7/11 and they took me off my metformin in the hospital.  My levels stay around 90 to 112.    I know it is only goingto get better.  Before my a1c was 7.4  I can't wait to see what the current level will be.

qnmimi
on 7/25/11 12:52 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I was off metformin for my 2 week liquid diet, had my last insulin injection the morning after surgery, and diabetes has been in remission ever since. Your surgery team will know what your labs will be, will check your sugars frequently post op, so just the fact your hgb A1c is high, doesn't mean you'll do poorly post op. Lots of us are doing great!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views