Unsure of RNY or VSG STIIIILLLL! Surgery in Sept

dicastro1010
on 7/6/11 8:32 am, edited 7/6/11 8:39 am - Escondido, CA
Hi Everyone,

I need help. I was almost 100% positive that I wanted the sleeve, only because my dad's friend had RNY (10 years ago in her 50's) and she is now so baldy that she has to have hair implants.

Then I went to another seminar from the group that is doing my surgery, and the surgeon said that it's all misinformation out there about malnutrition, it's all about taking vitamins etc.He said that their patients have never had issues with malnutrition unless they were grossly negligent about taking care of what they put in their bodies. Also, having been lurking on the VSG board for the last year, I have learned that many VSG'rs have hair loss too just because of the whole "whenever you lose weight you lose hair" thing. I get that. I have lost 100 pounds 3 times now, and lost a little hair, but nothing to where I ever thought I needed to put brown eye shadow on my bald spots or had to get a wig. 

That being said, he also said that you lose the MOST weight weith RNY versus the sleeve, so now i don't know. He said something like 85% of excess weight (in their program, they have done over 14000 surgeries) and approx 50-65% with the sleeve. Oh my!

I also like that technically RNY is reversible but the sleeve is not. I dont believe I would EVER have it removed, but I don't know if I will have some major nightmare complications or? 

The surgeon told me that I would be a great candidate for either one, that I just need to think about which would best suit me. Well how am I supposed to know? This is a life long decision. Any advice? Why did you choose RNY? How do you feel about the whole malabsorption?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/11 9:27 am - OH
The malabsorption with the RNY helps you lose the weight more quickly, but is temporary. By about 18 months out you will be absorbing almost all of the calories you eat (and the vitamin absorption is PERMANENTLY inhibited, so you will ALWAYS have to take the vitamin supplements).  With the RNY, taking NSAIDs is a problem, but is not with the sleeve.  Yes, if people stay current on their lab work and are conscientious about taking the supplements as needed, they are very unlikely to have nutritional problems. The big unknown is how the RNY changes our nutritional status when we get much older and the body begins to be less efficient at absorbing nutrients anyway.  Only you can decide how imnportant it is that you retain your remnant stomach.  You are VERY unlikely to ever need it, but...

Yes, the hair loss happens with any of the permanent procedures.... it is just often more pronounced with RNY and DS because of the malabsorption.  If your father's friend is now in her 60s, her hair loss is also likely partly due to aging, because generally all or most of the hair grows back after the WLS.  That should be a non-issue.

No matter which surgery you choose, the most important part of long-term success is learning new, healthy eating habits.  Without that, regain is likely after BOTH surgeries.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

psx chelly
on 7/6/11 9:35 am

If you're only concerned about the hair loss... I can tell you from my own experience, that when my hair loss began it was coming out in gobbs.

I immediately got full blood work, switch to a formulated *bariatric* vitamin (some will argue not necessary) and upped my protein intake to about 80-100g a day and my massive hair-loss stopped within about 10 days.  I'm not going to lie, a few pieces here and there come out, but its massively better.

MY argument will always be for people to take properly formulated bariatric vitamins (that cost no more than centrum or store brand btw) and drink high quality protein supplements.  Its your health, why skimp or worry about the money right?

RE: the total weight loss.  My surgeon never gave me a "goal" weight.  He is a HUGE proponent of letting your own body decide where it needs to be in the happy place.  The only reason I have a goal weight on my ticker is because that's the weight I remember being most happy when i was younger.

My nutritionist always tells me that everyone is differnt and just to not stress over the scale.  Of course I do look a the scale and want to loose a bunch more, but I am trying to listen to her advise.

Michelle E.
on 7/6/11 11:49 am
I would do VSG.. I have some challenges with absorbing medication like birth control and Iron. VSG'ers dont have the same issues.

Michelle
Jadeyesmiling
on 7/6/11 12:17 pm
VSG on 02/08/16
I got the EXACT information you did in my informational seminar, this is my fourth seminar so I could probably teach one, LOL.  This used to be taught as a malaborptive surgery (bypass) but it is only true of some vitamins and minerals...generally the weight loss is due to the size of the new stomach..which will stretch over time.  However, my surgeon said that the sleeve will only give you about the same weight loss as the lapband and maybe not even as good as that as the band is adjustable.

If there is a considerable amount to loose (such as in my case) the bypass seems like the best surgery.  I just went through thyroid cancer and the radiation kicked my butt and I had tremendous hair loss...but it was temporary...within a year it was back and thick and healthy again. Protein is key!!

This is like anything else...if you dont follow the program...it wont work correctly.  Are there those that slack off on vitamins, loose hair, eat too much from the get go..dont loose a lot of weight...heck yeah.  You need to do your best to stick to plan, work hard to take the supplements and if you do loose some hair, have faith it will come back as your body adjusts to all it is going through.

Best wishes!!  Congrats on your upcoming surgery!! :)

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

dicastro1010
on 7/7/11 4:09 am - Escondido, CA
Thank you SO much everyone for the kind words and support!! Your feedback really helps me to think through all the options. I think it's a great point to make that it's all about being healthy, and either way if I stick to what I should, I will get the weight off and be in a better place.

Diana
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

luckiestparentoftwo
on 7/7/11 7:44 am - Canada
I was like you up to a month ago i was scheduled for ryn..I struggled like the fact of malasorptoin, i had friends who had been successful with both....i struggled .....i put the same question you did out and one response really made me think...I wanted to share it with you..after this i did a bit more research....and went vsg....i was sleeved 6 days ago :-)  Hope it helps  This was written by someone on the board...it helped my cloudyness...

I can only tell you why I chose VSG over RNY: here is my standard reply.

I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision from the band. You can also check out the revision, failure, and food issue forums on here to get an idea of some long term RNY patients. For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

P.S. To add to this since things have changed a bit since I wrote this. I'm 20 weeks pregnant, thriving, the baby is perfect, VSG has not complicated my pregnancy in any way, form or fashion. I'm able to consume enough nutrients/calories to support my body and baby. I do not have to take additional vitamins because of malabsorption and all my vital nutrient/vitamin levels have remained stellar for my 2 years post-VSG.

I would recommend you checking out the revision board to see just how many RNY patients are looking to revise to DS or ERNY because of regain, or other complications. There is NOT one human that could pay me to have RNY.

P.S.S
With the revision in June '09, I was diagnosed with a clotting disorder. With the pregnancy, they have now put me on a daily aspirin dose. Guess what, Aspirin is an NSAID, and if I had chosen RNY, I would have to give myself lovenox injections, and increase my clotting issues. I clot slowly because of a platelet malfunction, they stick to themselves instead of being free floating. Now, the aspirin is a daily thing. With a pouch, this couldn't happen. I'd be really screwed and not be able to moderately treat my condition which has no cure, and is genetic. They're trying to thoroughly diagnosed the clotting factor and figure out if I can get off the aspirin and hopefully be able to get some answers on the platelet factors.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 28 replies · 167 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 43 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 314 views