How do you do it?

sherryb1948
on 6/30/11 8:58 am
 I have not had surgery yet but have tried different shakes. I have found I like the vanilla ones best, with a tsp of almond extract, a little splenda, half cup of unsweetened almond milk, half cup water. I dont know if you can have almond milk. I blend this mixture in a bullet, but I'm sure a blender will work. I am having a problem getting oked for surgery and am very discouraged. Gone through 8 months of prep and now am told my surgeon won't do it because I need to take a baby aspirin and that might cause ulcers. Anyway, I used Jillian Natural Whey Protein, vanilla cream shake. Got it at Walmart. I actually enjoy it. Hope it helps and I wish you the best.
Sincerly, 
Sherry
Lisa R.
on 6/30/11 9:51 am - CA
 That actually doesn't sound too bad, but after throwing up today I just think the consistency of the shakes is also what is killing me.  I have got to find a way other then shakes to get my protein in on a regular bases.  

Sorry about your hard time with the surgery.  If you can't get the RYN then you can do the sleeve, in fact you are the perfect candidate for the sleeve as you have to take NSAIS.  I wanted the sleeve but was rejected for that procedure and only approved for the RYN.  I only have (or had) 90lbs to lose so I thought the sleeve a better choice but my insurance didn't agree.....

twincredible
on 6/30/11 11:06 am

I am further out than you, but I have been managing to get 100+ grams of protein per day from food for some time now.  I do sometimes eat Pure Protein bars, and I also drink Click protein, but not every day.

I eat a LOT of seafood (shrimp, tilipia).  It is very low calorie and low fat (not that you need to be worrying about so early out) and paks quite a protein punch.  For me, it has always settled well with my pouch and there are so many different ways to prepare it.   Play around with marinades and seasoning.....make salads and top them with shrimp, broil, grill, bake the fish....the possibilities are endless!

Good luck!

Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

littlewitch1973
on 6/30/11 11:12 am - NY
 I will be honest - I have tried dozens of protein shakes, and the only ones I like are Unjury. They have a great taste, and mix well. 

I am pre-surgery, and decided to get used to the protein shakes now... they are now my breakfast and lunch daily! My daughter even likes them, lol... 

Good luck finding something you like. 

Carrie W.
on 6/30/11 2:30 pm - KY
I was told to get all my protein from food. To also follow my plan and only have three meals, I was eating 4oz of chicken or fish for every meal. That didn't leave any room for anything else but at at least 28g of protein per meal, I wa****ting goal.

Now I have a shake for breakfast so I CAN have some veggies. I hate every shake I've tried too but I'm extremely fortunate in that I can drink anything as fast as I want. So I mix my shake with as little fluid as possible and suck it up with a straw. It's nasty but it doesn't last long.

I hope you find something that works for you!! Take care,
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

KSKVA11
on 7/1/11 7:04 am - Manassas, VA
Pur unflavored protein powder.  You can cook with it.  Put it in cream of chicken soup, mix with an egg and scramble it.  Don't know if you're on soft food or liquids at this point.  Don't remember how long I was on liquids and soft diet. There are lots of proteins out there that are not milky.  Isopure, Wonderslim clear fruit drink powder, Bari Wise, Proti Diet, Bari Wise Tea, IDS New Whey Liquid Protein.  All of these are at Bariatric Choice website, but the IDS you can get at The Vitamin Shoppe.
That one is ok, but I don't like sweet at all so I mix it with Crystal Lite lemon ade an cut it with water.

I put the Pur unflavored powder in my V-8 juice, in coffee and tea.  The key is to disolve it in a little water first.  You can bake with it, put it in spaghetti sauce.  My favorite way is in white sauce with shrimp.

Even when you can eat more, it's still hard to get enough protein.  I was told I'll always have to supplement.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 228 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 120 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.