How do you do it?

Zombie
on 6/30/11 6:49 am

Ok here is some stuff I was able to dig up on foods. Down at the bottom is a reference on the 100 grams. Hope this helps. Also, about the Wal-Mart and Target I just don't shop there for Protein products I feel that GNC has better choices, but that's just me, if the products you buy at Wal-Mart or Target work for anyone else, then great, even better, they just don't do it for me. I know some places online have good choices to.

As an estimate we figure that you should consume between .7 - .9 grams of protein per pound of body weight. These number vary based on the amount of body fat you have. Women have higher body fat than men, so they should be on the lower end of the scale. Here are some examples:

150 pounds = 105 - 135 grams of protein a day
160 pounds = 112 - 144 grams of protein a day
170 pounds = 119 - 153 grams of protein a day
180 pounds = 126 - 162 grams of protein a day
190 pounds = 133 - 171 grams of protein a day
200 pounds = 140 - 180 grams of protein a day
220 pounds = 154 - 198 grams of protein a day
240 pounds = 168 - 216 grams of protein a day
260 pounds = 182 - 234 grams of protein a day

Food Amount of Protein
3 oz. broiled ground beef 21 grams
3 oz. roasted ham 18 grams
3 oz. veal -broiled 23 grams
3.5 oz. roasted chicken 27 grams
3.5 oz. baked/roasted salmon 27 grams
3.5 oz. tuna canned in water 28 grams
1 beef frankfurter 6 grams
1 oz. sliced ham 5 grams
1 large boiled egg 6 grams
1 cup of Milk 8 grams

• Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
  • Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce

~Paul~

Lisa R.
on 6/30/11 7:26 am - CA
Wow Paul thanks for looking that up and posting it!  My friend's mom is a NUT and I asked her the other day how much protein a person should get and she said .8 x your idea weight....I get no where near that amount.

When I eat meals I only eat protein, meat meat meat!  I will have salad or a few veggies, but only a little to leave room for protein.  I want to eat fruit, I miss fruit so much.  The one protein I can sort of tolerate is a mix that I make with bananas and blueberries for breakfast.  At least that gives me 25 grams of protein, but some mornings I don't want that.

UG!  This protein stuff is the worst!  If it weren't for the protein I think this would be the greatest thing ever.   

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Kim S.
on 6/30/11 6:48 am - Helena, AL
Call your nutritionist and tell him/her you need a dietary plan that does not include shakes.  I've never had one (my surgeon doesn't like them because of cost and taste).  You can do this without them.

Kim

Lisa R.
on 6/30/11 7:32 am - CA
From your lips to God's ears!  I think I am going to try a week or so with no drinks and just really give food protein a chance.  Like I was telling Paul, I make a fruit smoothie that I can tolerate with 25 grams of protein so I will do that in the AM, on work out days do the protein bar, and just eat everything protein.  I just can't do the shakes anymore, they are horrible.  They gag me and today I was driving my son home from summer school and almost got into a car accident pulling over to throw up!  It was the first and only time I have thrown up at all with this surgery 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Zombie
on 6/30/11 7:41 am
Ohhh, bummer. Yeah there's good stuff out there for protein besides shakes. I usually go with protein bars or shakes. If its food I try to do the skinless-boneless chicken breast. Try different things, and I agree with the previous poster about talking to a nutritionist. You just have try different things until you find what works for you.

~Paul~

Lisa R.
on 6/30/11 7:48 am - CA
I don't have a NUT...is that bad?  One came to talk to me in the hospital but that was it.  My doctor give me a list of approved foods each time I go in.   

tiffers1971
on 6/30/11 11:24 am - IN
have you tried making your protein shake with 1/2 of a banana blended in and maybe some frozen strawberries?  the banana will really cut the taste of the protein powder and they are much easier to get down when they are slushy.  And maybe add a little stevia.  I've not actually had the surgery yet so i dont know if those things are actually allowed, but i've had lots of protein shakes and that is how i make them taste better.

kilburn_k76
on 7/1/11 12:01 pm
My surgeon only allowed protein shakes for the first 2 weeks post-op, after that, we are supposed to get our protein from food. I am so glad to see that someone else's surgeon has the same idea! I've read posts on here that if post-ops don't use protein shake supplements that our bodies will start eating our hearts and other muscles, yea, that freaked me out a little! lol
kilburn_k76
on 7/1/11 12:05 pm
cate81
on 6/30/11 7:50 am
 I eat a greek yogart for breakfast, have a pure protien bar, tuna in the pouch pre made, and drink the syntrax nectar with crystal light because I can't stand the thick shakes

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 227 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.