Hormel Healthy Shots

Techrx
on 6/7/11 12:14 pm - TX
Has anyone tried the Hormel Healthy Shots double protein drinks? They were recommended to me since I am having issues meeting my daily protein intake. If so, where do you usually purchase them? Thanks for any input.
Here's to a new and exciting journey!        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/11 12:26 pm - OH
Although they claim to have all of the necessary amino acids necessary to absorb the protein, this is primarily collagen protein, which (despite what their main page says) is a crappy protein:
www.healthy-shot.com/healthy-shot_nutrition_information_shee t.html

Almost anything that gives you such a "high" amount of protein in only 2-3 ounces is going to be collagen protein.  Do not waste your money.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

facethemusic
on 6/7/11 12:48 pm
I agree with Lora. 

I had issues with getting my protein in too.  I bought unflavored protein and add it to anything I can.  I also finally found some flavors I like such as Syntrax Nectar and BSN Lean Dessert Cinnamon Roll.  You can also get ENS plus Protein drinks from Celebrate that are really good.  The vanilla cake batter is divine.  Plus it has vitamins and calcium in it. https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/protein/protein.html

Also when I think Hormel I think Chili, not protein.  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Amy R.
on 6/7/11 10:47 pm
Crap!  That stuff is expensive  =(

I went and looked at it because it sounds so yummy and I don't mind paying more for good protein but at $64 for 30 servings, or $17.50 for 7 servings, I don't think my budget can take it. 

Bummer, because it sounds reallly good, and I noticed that it has a lot of vitamins as well.
Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 5:07 am - Wilson, NC
Actually, THESE have a PDCAAS of 1.00

I have the paperwork with testing to prove it.

ShrinkingJoe
on 6/7/11 11:31 pm
The name "Hormel" caught my eye.  The protein they use must be what would otherwise be waste-product from their animal rendering / meatpacking business.  Not that it is unsafe to consume, but it seems like an afterthought for them...
NIXMOMMIE
on 6/8/11 2:22 am - NC
i recently discovered that i can ad a half scoop of eas vanilla protein to coffee and u can not even taste it. makes for a quick breakfast. an hour later follow it up with a slice of meat and cheese and you have 20g under your belt to start the day.

Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 5:08 am - Wilson, NC
Despite most collagen products, this is one that IS a good one for us. It has a PDCAAS of 1.00, which means it is fortified with all of the needed amino acids (predominantly tryptophan, which is what is missing in most collagens).

I have some to try in my fridge.. but I've been hesitant...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/11 6:33 am - OH
It still doesn't make it a high quality protein, though...

Lora

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 12:14 pm - OH
Have you tried it yet...?  I'm not a big fan of peach flavored stuff, so I'm wondering how the peach tastes (since only the peach "double protein" version is SF and I'm going to be having another surgery one of these days and need ot add some supplements back in (ick)... and not-so-great-quality protein is better than NO extra protein).

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics