NUVISTA COUPON CODE

Siberia
on 6/7/11 12:13 pm
NUVISTA is a whey based protein supplement with prebiotic inulin fiber which fills you up, meets ASMBS guidelines for key nutrients and is good tasting.

Take 2 packets per day to provide 30 grams of high biological protein; mix into a pudding or shake adding water or high protein fat-free milk (for extra protein)

Call 1-800-365-7354 or My-Nuvista.com to order

Coupon code for 25% off:                        TRYNUVISTA
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/11 12:43 pm - OH
According to the content on their website, the calcium is a blend, but does not include calcium citrate and no where do they reveal what KIND of protein is in it.  Itr also has 17g of carbs per serving.

All in all, while perhaps high in vitamins and appropriate for pre-op diets, not a good choice post-op even if the protein is whey-based (which I doubt, because I think they would have mentioned it).  Despite them claiming that they meet the ASMBS recommendations for BOTH pre- and post-op vitamin supplementation, the lack of calcium citrate tells me that this is not true.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Siberia
on 6/7/11 10:18 pm
Whey protein is listed as the first ingredient on the label.

According to their literature:  Calcium phosphate tribasic is listed as the calcium source which provides 1500 mg per day in 2 packets as per ASMBS recommendations. I understand that this blend was developed because citrate tastes sour and does not work well with milk based products like milk and yogurt.  The inulin has been proven to aid in Ca absorption, and the Fe is encapsulated to reduce interaction with Ca which further improves absorption of Ca.

Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 12:15 am - Wilson, NC
Calcium phosphate requires a high degree of stomach acid to break down, which RNYers don't have.

Therefore, the calcium isn't really absorbable by us.

Siberia
on 6/8/11 2:35 am
From the Company literature: 

There are 5 different sources of Ca the main one is Ca Phosphate Tribasic.
The product contains 5 grams of prebiotic fiber which are fermented in the gut and provide blood flow stimulation which affects the intestinal lining leading to a healthier gut and lower pH which can help to suppress harmful bacteria and in turn can reduce watery stools.  Reduced constipation is due to reduction of fecal bulk, bowel frequency and gut motility are improved.  The prebiotics help to increase Ca absorption. The inulin source has been proven in clinical studies to enhance Ca absorption into bones.  Obese individuals who are at risk of suffering osterarthritis, osteoporosis and weak bones later in life and in S/P GB patients who may be at risk of bone problems due to Vit D and Ca deficiencies may benefit from the Ca and fiber.

More info is available at: http://www.beneo.com/scientific-expertise
Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 3:01 am - Wilson, NC
Prebiotics do not increase the stomach acid in the stomach, which is needed to begin the process of digestion in the first place.

It's a nice concept, and is good for normies -- but NOT for us.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/8/11 3:07 am
Another not-so smart and pushy sales person, no?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 3:07 am - Wilson, NC
Also, the link above is nothing but additional propaganda, with only a single line stating "increases calcium absorption" with no substantiation of that claim.

Beyond the fact that this is not a bioavailable calcium in an achlorhydriac system, I see no scientific evidence on the page listed "for more information" and would be more willing to base my thoughts on THAT rather than a page with propaganda written by an Italian company claiming scientific superiority without giving the proof of such.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/11 6:36 am - OH
If they are, indeed, using a high quality whey protein, why does their website not provide an ingredients list? (I still stand by my other objections even if it IS whey protein.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Siberia
on 6/8/11 7:03 am
It's on the website under What is Nuvista?
Most Active
Recent Topics