Vitamin vets-need help buying Vitamin A, please

myspanisheyes
on 6/7/11 2:43 pm - TX

Which vitamin A should we take and what mgs should I buy....how often should we take it? My skin is extremely dry. I had to go out and buy the Lancomb for extremely dry skin. Just as soon as I put it on, my face absorbs it fast. I am very sensitive to the sun so, once the sun is out, I cover up when I have to go somewhere. I stay in doors during the summer months. I drink about 96-100oz of water a day! I have an appointment for blood wrk in 3 weeks!

Thanks for your help!

Jody ***
on 6/7/11 11:02 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Wait for your labs and be sure they put Vit A to be tested.  Its not normally one they test (at least from my Dr)

I don't supplement A because of dry skin but because I was deficient.  I use a dry Vit A from Vitalady and take 10k iu a day. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Dave Chambers
on 6/7/11 11:26 pm - Mira Loma, CA
AS a recent post op, you'll need to rely on labs and pay close attention to them, to make sure you're not deficient in vitamins in coming months.  Even at over 4 years post op, I was still adjusting vitamins, based on my labs.  If you stay inside, or not, you'll likely be deficient in vitamin D.  You'll need a dry D3 to get these levels up, as D3 is absorbed better than the traditional D2 that you'll find on most vitamin shelves in stores.  Dry forms of D3, A, E, etc. will be absorbed far better than traidtional forms, as these dry forms are not packed in oil. You'll malabsorb items in oils, and not get full benefits of these vitamins.  DO NOT cheap out and get  the lesser expensive D3 in softgels, for the same reason--the oils in the softgel will not allow the D3 to be as effective as it should be.  ALWAYS get printed results of your labs for reference in coming months. You can track you progress in improving defiencies in specific vitamins, and adjust your daily intake accordingly.  Your body's ability to retain proper levels of vitamins will likely change in coming years, so these labs should be done at least once per year forever.  I get my dry D3 from Vitalady, and based on my personal labs, I need a 50K daily to help my D levels be above 80, as recommended for long term health.  Others may be able to take 2-3 of these 50K (or less) per week to maintain an 80 plus score on their D labs. So each patieint is different, and you do need to rely on your lab results. TOO many post ops end up with vitamin defiencies when they rely on a phone call, simply stating their labs were fine.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 4:37 am - Wilson, NC
Vitalady.

Stay away from beta-carotene sources. They require high acid in the gut to absorb properly, and we don't have that.

myspanisheyes
on 6/8/11 5:38 am - TX
Thanks everyone! I have been taking the D-3 50,000. 3 times a week since the last Lab in May! I was taking it everyday right after my surgery! Vitalady has two different Vitamin A which one should I get? Tender Dry Vitamin A 25,000 or Bio-Tech Dry Vitamin A. How many per day and how often do you take it.

Thanks again!

Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 6:44 am - Wilson, NC
They're the same, just different labeling.

And how often is based on what your labs say. For me? I need 25,000 IU a day. But my bff runs high on A so taking it would be bad for her.

myspanisheyes
on 6/8/11 6:56 am - TX
Thanks Andrea!:)

myspanisheyes
on 6/8/11 8:30 am - TX
Andrea, I will be seeing the my family dr. and would like to ask her to do a complete blood work. Is there a list I can obtain that has everything I need to have checked. I have been going to the Bariatic clinic on the military base where i had surgery. My surgent has not ordered Vitamin A, K, Copper, zinc. I normally go get blood work done a few days before seeing him, therefore, I never no what he has ordered. Last time I asked him why has he ordered vit A, K, ect. he said, "we just don't request those. I know my fam. dr. will order them if I ask her.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Andrea U.
on 6/8/11 8:32 am - Wilson, NC
http://wlsvitagarten.com/lab-tests/
myspanisheyes
on 6/8/11 8:54 am - TX
You are awesome!! Thank you sooo much!

Most Active
Recent Topics