Want to share a GREAT protein find

Rustys-Gal
on 5/29/11 5:20 am - Chesapeake, VA
I am 11 days out from my RNY and am doing really well with the exception of protein supplements.  Prior to surgery, I read a lot of helpful tips here on the OH site and ordered sample packets from several different mfrs to have on hand post-op.  Unfortunately, I found for me,with the exception of the ready-made EAS Chocolate drinks, everything else I tried did not agree with me.  So... I made another trip to my local Vitamin Shoppe and was patiently helped by a very nice young man *****commended Dymatize Elite Fusion in Cookies & Cream flavor.  OMW - I can't tell you how great this tastes to me.  It mixes with water and tastes like a milkshake. I believe the cost was around $38 for a 2.91 lbs jar.  

Serving: 1 scoop

Cal  190
Fat 6 g
Sugar 1g
Protein 23g

http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/505/elite-fusion-7/
mdolan20
on 5/29/11 5:46 am - Brick, NJ
thanks! I'm always looking for something new...getting tired of isopure!
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Lady Lithia
on 5/29/11 6:59 am
23 g of protein = 92 calories
6 g fat = 54 calories
1 g sugar = 4 calories

Where are the other 40 calories coming from?

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 4:46 pm
redbedhead
on 5/29/11 7:13 am - Colorado Springs, CO
be sure to look at all the nutrition facts.  you say 1 gram of sugar  which is 4 calories, but as lithia pointed out there were 40 calories missing from your calculations.

I went and checked your link there is ACTUALLY 11 grams of various carbohydrates only one of which is labeled as sugar.  there is your missing 40 calories.  Sugar is a simple form of carbohydrate.  Starch is a more complex form and when digested will break down into sugar, but since it is not put in the ingredients already broken down it does not get included in the sugar count so you could be adding a bunch of starch (Corn syrup solids are one form I saw listed in the ingredents) to your body and unknowingly adding slow acting sugar to your diet.
siberiancat
on 5/29/11 7:44 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
A word of caution.  Employees of Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc. are not aware of nutritional needs of bariatric patients.  Their clientele are usually exercise enthusiasts.

They can really give bad (and health damaging for those of us with altered GI tracts) advice.

You need to educate  yourself so you can educate them and say "no, as  a matter of fact ____________.) Fill in the blank.  They don't know the physiology and where vitamins are absorbed or why we need certain types of protein.

I'm a RN, I've educated myself regarding how my body is different with the malabsorption and restriction.  Read, Read, Read.

Ask questions on OH.  There are many who can help you.

Most of us don't do well on protein the first couple months - but it is life or death medicine for us - we have to have it.  I've gagged it down, vomited it up.  I just kept finding ways to get it in.

You can do this.

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

allvalerie
on 5/29/11 8:37 am - Seward, AK
"I've gagged it down, vomited it up.  I just kept finding ways to get it in."

Well said lol

That's how I felt about protein shakes for awhile but just keep drinking them or eating different things and making sure I got my protein in!

First couple months were hard that's for sure-

Valerie
BariatricBSN
on 5/29/11 11:55 am
I am SO happy you posted this, I just ordered Dynamatize Elite Chocolate right before I got on this board!  YAY!

babycat35
on 5/29/11 12:27 pm - Gilbertsville, PA
How and where do we get free samples of protein drinks? I have Whey Protein from wal-mart that is 32 grams of protein. 1 scoop. I did not go through the nutrition class before the surgery yet. Any help would be great, thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 5:47 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views