OT Spring is here...any green thumbs in here? I need some advice

katiedid_911
on 4/30/11 2:37 am
Finally Spring is here in Iowa (hopefully it will stick around this time) and it's beautiful out there today!  I want to dig up some plants and move them around, but I need to know if it's the right time?  Any green thumbs in here or around today? 

I have a plantbed infront of my light post and it's full of icky looking sedums that I want to pull out and am going to do that today.  Any ideas what I can plant there instead?  I think I want something that climbs (besides weeds, even though I can grow those really well) and would attract hummingbirds and butterflies and no hostas.  I have a ton of hostas LOL  Give me your cool ideas please!  I'm so excited to garden this year now that I can actually get down on the ground...and back up!  LOL  
Come visit my blog, Is This For Real?!?  katiedid911.blogspot.com/

unewillow
on 4/30/11 3:34 am - CT
If you want something that climbs I would suggest Clematis. My mom has one in our back yard and every year it grows and flowers no matter how much they chop it down the winter before.

tinkerbell025
on 4/30/11 5:03 am - Fargo, ND
morning glory's
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
grmadeb01
on 4/30/11 5:30 am - FL
a passion fruit plant has the coolest flowers and they smell wonderful, it smells up my whole pool patio...and the flowers are not like anything i have seen before, i am not sure if they will grow in cold climates..but if so..they climb and will take over once they are established...i have had mine for 3 years no and had to cut it back just to a stick like last weekend and it is already growing back out a feeler...and they attrach butterflies...mine is full of them, but they also have the catabpillers that love them to....one year it got ate alive, an di had tons of butterlfies all over the pool patio...but it came back nice and full..
have a great time gardening
debby
katiedid_911
on 4/30/11 5:32 am
Thank you guys!  I can't wait to get started, but the lastest frost recorded in Iowa was May 10, so I usually wait until after that.  But that's not that far away! 

jenni93
on 4/30/11 7:55 am
My mom and dad have a Trumpet Vine growing up their lightpost and it is quite impressive.  It clings and climbs easily and has large orange "trumpet-shaped" blossoms that the hummingbirds LOVE and pretty green foliage.  It gets bigger every year, rather than dying back like morning glories, and is now more than half way up their utility pole (probably 15 feet.)  They live in southern Michigan, so I'm sure it would be hardy in Iowa too.
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

katiedid_911
on 4/30/11 1:12 pm
Jenni,  I have some of that on the east side of my house...I never thought to have one right up front..duh!  I looked at mine tonight and it's growing up a storm!  Thank you for the idea!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views