doing the 3day walk for Breast Cancer and ???

blackbeltmom2010
on 4/7/11 12:47 am - Champlin, MN
I'm very excited to be doing the 3day Walk for Breast Cancer this year. I will be walking 60 miles of 3 days.

I have questions for anyone post-op that has done this after RNY.

How did you do?
What did you do different eating wise to have enough energy, nutrients to keep going?

The walk isn't until August so I'm in training now.

Any advice would be great!

Here's the link to my webpage if you would like to donate!!

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR?px=5763599&pg=personal&fr_id= 1626&et=M1gFgOMQJjKTv5pmmb_pTQ..&s_tafId=463426
Michele    

342/333/220/155      HW/SW/CW/GW       

Mary B.
on 4/7/11 1:39 am - Southern, MD
Congratulations on the Walk!!

This is my first year too...so I cant offer many tips. I am however, supposed to be working on creating a good protein bar that we can carry with us..assuming the protein bars they will offer may not be as much as we need or have too much sugar. Im collecting recipes now. I also figure the ones I like (Pure Protien) may melt since they pretty much have that chocolaty coating.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

blackbeltmom2010
on 4/7/11 5:22 am - Champlin, MN
Please share when you create one!!

Good Luck and Congrats to you too!!
Michele    

hedrider
on 4/7/11 4:48 am - Midlothian, TX
Oh, yay!  One of my favorite subjects...

This is my fourth year with the 3Day.  I haven't walked it since I was pre-op, but I've been Medical Crew the past three years.

A good protein bar is not a bad idea, but what you really need is something with electrolytes and sodium.  They have tons of snacks, but not all of it is RNY friendly.  Some is...  pretzels, cheese sticks, fruits, nuts, potato chips...  They do have PBJ snacks, cookies, and granola bars if you do not avoid sugars.  They have water and gatorade so if you avoid sugar you need to find your own sports drink.  I bring my own in the little tubes to add to my water.  There are 3 meals a day, and snacks EVERYWHERE... so there will be something you can eat somewhere close by.  Sodium is super important.  Super.  If you have to forgo protein in favor of sodium, do it.  I cannot stress that enough.  You will gain about 5-10 pounds post-walk.  You are inflicting trauma on your body and putting it through an extreme event... it will retaliate!

When you do your online check in, make sure that you sign up for the vegetarian meals.  You don't HAVE to eat just vegetarian, but it gives you more choices.  I found that I preferred the vegetarian options more than the regular.  They have chicken breast and steak, but it was tough so I played it safe with the vegetarian stuffed mushroom and it was yummy.

I brought all my vitamins seperated into baggies by day and just transferred them into my daily pillbox.  I brought protein but honestly didn't mess with it because it was such a hassle.  And I could go 4 days without and be just fine (it's 4 days when I crew, we come a day early).

Do all your training, that's the most important.  Do the long 10, 12, 17 and 18 mile walks.  Your feet will thank you!  I did about 57 of the 60 miles and only had one blister.  I did all my training walks,  Check the website for training walks near you and join as many as you can.  My teammates who did not train had a MISERABLE experience and have not been back since!  You will be walking from about 6am until about 2-3pm depending on how fast you walk, or if you walk all the miles or sweep or sag to the different stops.  You will also not want to carry much with you in your fanny pack as it tends to beceome quite heavy.  You also want to dress in layers.  I wore my capris, a tishirt and a light windjacket that i could roll up and tie around my waist.  Bring safety pins to pin things to you if you need a hat or gloves.  I brought extra socks to change into at lunch and pinned the wet ones to my fanny pack.  During training, if you feel a tender spot on your feet address it.  It's these areas that you will get blisters on the walk...

I'm a complete and total pro at packing for this thing too, so if you have any questions... any at all... just ask and I'm pretty sure I have an answer.  And I don't mind answering any questions or talking about my experiences, as you can tell from my LONG post!!!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

blackbeltmom2010
on 4/7/11 5:22 am - Champlin, MN
WOW!!

That's a lot of good information!!

I'm sure as the walk gets closer I WILL have more questions for you!!
Thanks for all the advice!!

Michele    

Mary B.
on 4/7/11 5:45 am - Southern, MD
AWESOME info! Thanks. Im going to copy and paste your info so I have it close by!

I dont wal****il Sep, but Im getting my training in. We have our Kick Off event this weekend.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views