Any migraine sufferers?

Kristine E.
on 4/5/11 5:48 am - VA
RNY on 01/27/11 with
I get pretty bad migraines, especially around my visit from Aunt Flo. I used to take Midrin, which was perfect! But the manufacturer stopped making it. My doctor gave me Ultram and Imitrex, neither of them work well. What do y'all take that is RNY compatible?
Lady Lithia
on 4/5/11 5:50 am
I loved Midrin, it really helped me a lot

I tend to take percocet

when that doesn't work, I just quietly pray for the strength to rip my head off

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

AliSarah
on 4/5/11 5:52 am
When I was pregnant they gave me fiorinol as it was safe for the baby, it helped pretty well and I don't think it is an nsaid...

I also learned one day that dumping resets migraine in my body, of course I didn't do that on purpose and don't know if I would do that on purpose, but it definitely worked that one time... I haven't gotten anywhere near as many migraines since the surgery as I had before...

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
LogansMommy
on 4/5/11 6:25 am - Marietta, GA
I have suffered since I was 7 with migraines.
After an ER visit with Bells Palsy and fearing a real stroke...
the doctor tried something her colleagues recommended...
A ****tail of Benadryl, Adavant and something for upset tummy.
Since then I have not had to go to the ER...I take 2 benadryl, 2 Tylenol &
a muscle relaxer. Just the other day I used the ****tail!
Sometimes I have to repeat it 2-3 hours later. Oh, and Vicks vapor rub under my nose.
I hope this helps a bitCheri
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

VioletKidd
on 4/5/11 6:53 am - Huntsville, AL
For minor migraines (is there such a thing? I mean the one's where you can almost still function) I get relief from a HOT, HOT, HOT shower (one time I was taking a hot shower and kept turning down the cold water because I was still cold, until I noticed that I had turned the cold water completely off) and then crawling into bed under warm covers and going to sleep.  Yes, it makes me sweat, and when I get up I'm groggy as Hell, but it really helps me.

__Laura__
on 4/5/11 7:08 am
Add me to the list of migraine sufferers who loved Midrin.  Tylenol won't even put a small dent in any migraine I get.  My doctor just emailed me back and he is going to refill my roxicet to have on hand for when I get a migraine, since taking that was like magic and the pain was gone in like 10 minutes.  So that's my plan for any future migraines.  
Goodbye 260's, 250's, 240's, 230's, 220's, 210's, 200's... Hello 190's!  

Tina Mendonca
on 4/5/11 7:16 am - Merced, CA
Fioricet/APAP/caffiene and if not I break into my Vicodin perscription. Pamprin is the only thing I was told that will help with Aunt Flo, but Not for me. I miss my Midol and Excedrine Migraine.

Ann S.
on 4/5/11 8:15 am, edited 4/5/11 8:15 am - FL
I take Topomax daily to lessen the frequency and Axert when I have one. I used to take Imitrex and still have some left, they still work. For me the biggest difference between the Imitrex and the Axert is the Imitrex makes my migraine go away but makes my joints ache, like when your getting the flu. Axert doesn't make me feel that way.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers    

Tarrabella
on 4/5/11 9:00 am - Springfield, IL
I take Maxalt when I miss the warning signs, and it creeps up and gets bad all at once.  That usually does the trick for me.  If I catch it early, Zomig is my drug of choice. 

I also use these pads by Well Patch, for migraines.  I put them on my forehead and the back of my neck.  They have some sort of menthol gel on them that feels cold, and is sticky, so they stick to you.  But they come right off, too, so it's not like you are stuck with something stuck to you.  You can get them at a drugstore, or walmart, even some grocery stores carry them.  They help take the edge off when it gets really bad. 

Also, for when I'm in public, and don't want to look like a dork with one of those pads on my head, there is this stuff called "Head On" - it's like a huge tube of chap-stick - but for your head.  I put it on my forehead and the back of my neck, and nobody can tell you have it on.  It's also got some sort of menthol in it, so it feels cold.  Not as good as the pads, but better than nothing when you are out and about. 

And sometimes, a super, super hot bath helps, but I don't submerge my head. 

Most Active
Recent Topics