Are there any protein shakes that dont taste bad? HELP!!

VictoriaA
on 3/10/11 7:14 am
Ive been trying out different protein shakes out to see which ones would work best for me. So far Atkins and the costco protein shakes taste so bad! Isnt there a tasteless protein powder I can add to other ingredients so it will taste better? HELP! Ive drank carnation instant breakfast and that is pretty good but I dont think that would work after surgery or would it? What about the protein bullets?

Any help would be great!

Victoria
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/10/11 7:23 am, edited 3/10/11 7:23 am - OH
Although there are unflavored protein powders, there is no such thing as a truly tasteless protein powder. The Carnation really does not have enough protein to meet our need post-op. Since everyone's taste in protein powders is SO different, and what you like no you may HATE later, I would strongly recommend that you go to www.vitalady.com and order a bunch of single serving samples (just be sure to write down the exact brand and names of ones you fin that you like, because many of them have similar names and you migth end up ordering the wrong one!)

Do NOT waste your money of the bullets. They are made of a carppy type of protein (collagen) and then don;t even contain all the maino acids you need to absorb the crappy protein that's in them... so you are wasting your money and ingesting calories and getting almost no protein.

Lots of people buy the DaVinci or Torani sugar free syrups ot add to the protein shakes.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 3/10/11 7:23 am - OH
Protein bullets don't work 'cause they are collagen protein and we don't absorb it.

You can do no sugar added carnation instant breakfast but it doesn't have much protein and still has kind of a lot of sugar.

There are plenty of protein shakes that taste good, at leas to me.  Go to vitalady.com and order a whole bunch of samples.  Also go to celebratevitamins.com and ask for some free samples of Chike and ENS.

Kelly
samsander
on 3/10/11 7:43 am - CA
My "go to" shake is RTD Pure Protein in Frosty Chocolate. It seriously tastes like a chocolate shake!

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Christina D.
on 3/10/11 7:43 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I am a person that really doesnt like the milk based proetin shakes, I found cytomax cytosport.  They are a light drink, kinda like a gatorade or crystal lite, they have 40 grams of protein in 20oz. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/11 7:57 am - SC
I tried about 10 different protein drinks before finally finding one I like.  I don't like the chalky milky ones. 
My suggestion would be to order samples of anything you think you may like.  That is what I ended up doing after spending an unfortunate $30 on some ProBlend 55 Chocolate.  (yuck!)  My personal favorites ended up being the Syntrax Nectar drinks.  They are fruity and don't leave that funky chalk feeling in your mouth.  You can order them from all kinds of website, but if you call Syntrax they will send you all the flavors for $13 with free shipping.  The number I called to get them was 866-333-7403 x 801.  I spoke to Amanda, gave her my info and 3 days later that box of goodies was on my doorstep.  You can also order samples of all kinds of different protein drinks from www.vitalady.com, www.nettrition.com, www.bjsbariatrics.com  

Like I said I've tried tons of them.  I think between my hubby and I we tried close to 15 different protein drinks before settling on Nectar.  My favorites are the Caribbean Sky, Twisted Cherry and the Lemonade.  To give them an extra boost of flavor I add a packet of the Crystal Light drinks.  

Hope that helps some!  Good luck find the drink for you.
NIXMOMMIE
on 3/10/11 8:08 am - NC
Hey, I just posted a really good recipe for one, it does have milk but if i liked it you may.  I hate milk.  Good luck..

Smileygrl810
on 3/10/11 8:11 am
Pure Protein Frosty chocolate is the best to me. I don't like the other flavors they offer but I can drink the frosty chocolate ones. I have to drink 3 a day right now for my pre op diet and it's full of "good" protein and keeps me full. I've heard good things about ENS but haven't tried it yet.
paranoidmother21
on 3/10/11 8:18 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Go now, do not pass go, to both Bariatric Foodie and The World According to Eggface. Both are blogs by post-ops with great recipes for all sorts of things - including ways to make protein shakes tasty and different.

Yes, you still need to find a base protein you can tolerate, but the advice to order a bunch of single-serve packets and try MANY before you buy a tub is absolutely on target. I think it took me about 10-15 different types before I found the ones I tolerated early out, and then 3 months later my taste buds changed again and I had to go through the whole procedure again. However, I've been pretty stable on tastes for the past year, so all is good.

I seriously some days would rather drink a shake than have food because some of the recipes from Nik and Shelley are that tasty!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

bunnyandbubby
on 3/10/11 8:54 am - Henderson, NV
 I'm with some of the others... Pure Protein RTD is the way to go.  I have a full stock of the frosty chocolate, cookies 'n cream, banana cream, and strawberries and cream flavors handy at all times.  I'm a bit obsessed.  Not so keen on the vanilla one, though.  I get mine at Trader Joe's or order them online from GNC.

I liked the Atkins ones pre-op, but my tastes changed so much post-op that I ended up hating them.  I also did the bullets before I realized that they were useless (like someone else pointed out).  Plus, they taste soooooo gross.
ANDREA 

HW 290/GW 159 (reached 2/19/11)/CW 142

Recent Topics
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 23 views
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 59 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 309 views
What's on your Monday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 374 views