Anyone 8, 10, 15 or 20 years post-op??

smilingsandie
on 12/25/14 5:55 pm

Hi, I am 15 years out. I was 287 at surgery. My lowest was 118--but I looked really bad. I am stabilized from year two on at 139-145. I'm 5'4" and wear a size 8 or 10. I'm now 53 years old.

Complications: Developed a hernia in the intestines about a year out--quickly solved by my great surgeon who changed the way he did surgery to avoid it in other patients.

Plastic Surgery-- I had two tummy tucks to remove excessive skin. One at Stanford (I almost died!) They did a terrible job--I lost a lot of blood and they stapled me up quick and I was left with no belly button! SO, I had another plastic surgeon fix it and it looks great. I had a lot of skin to remove, so I have an anchor scar. I don't even notice it anymore. This was done about 3 years out. I could use surgery to remove the excess skin on my legs and arms, but can't really afford it.

Excersize habits: Don't flame me. I don't really exersize. Never have and probably never will. I'm not a couch potato though--I'm very active with hiking, fishing, and running around town. I sweat each day from physical exertion. I just don't "formally" exersize.

Diet: I eat whatever I want--just in small amounts. I no longer like pasta or rice. I don't eat too much sugar any more--I gain weight when I do and I still dump if I eat too much.

Vitamins: Don't flame me here either. (I've never been one to comply with things) I don't take them. None of them. No multi-vit, no B12, no extra calcium. None. I have my levels checked each year and I'm perfect in all categories. Not saying you should do this. This is just me.

Things I wish I had known. 1) If you're marriage is not solid, you'll probably get a divorce. My husband liked that I was fat. (Although when I was fat, he was always telling me to diet.) When I got thin his own demons ruined us. He was always sure I was having an affair, etc. (I never did) I'd still have the surgery-- I'm much happier without him. It was a 28 year marriage. I'm now engaged to a dentist. 2) Watch out for alcohol! Prior to surgery I could drink all night without getting anything but a buzz--after surgery I was a falling down drunk after 2 glasses of wine. I had to cut out all alcohol in order to keep my sanity. I don't miss it anymore. It's kind of weird to me now how much people drink.

Lastly-- My ex-husband, my daughter, and both of my sisters have all had the RNY. All of us are over 10 years out. Out of 5 of us, only two of us have kept off our weight. The reasons the others have not are: One drinks too much--the sugar puts weight on you, and two take psych meds that are known weight gainers. This is NOT a panacea--you CAN re-gain your weight. You MUST be careful not to out-eat this tool by eating sugar or carbs to excess.

Just an example of what I normally eat:

Breakfast, 1 egg, 1 pc. of toast and butter. (Pretty much every day--I don't like cereal or yogurt or anything like that. If I'm too lazy to make an egg--I just put some peanut butter on toast)

Lunch/Dinner (I combine the two about 4 pm) About 2 oz. of meat, applesauce or some other fruit. For example, a pork chop with apples and onions, 1/2 a steak with 1/2 a potato, a piece of pizza.

Snack: Some trail mix (with M&M's) at night if I'm hungry. Or a piece of cheese, or some crackers-- whatever's around. Sometimes I'll make 1/2 a sandwich.

Oh, I almost forgot-- I developed a problem with uncooked vegetables or fruits. They give me a pain in my chest that mimics a heart attack. I can't eat them at all. No problem for me, I didn't like them pre-op and I don't like them post-op.

Bonus: I'm now engaged to a dentist who calls me a "cheap date" because whenever we go out, I just eat part of his meal! LOL

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/17 11:25 am

I am 20 years out. I had gastric roux n y with Dr. Alan Wittgrove at Alvarado Med. Ctr in San Diego. I lost 100 lbs in 9 months. First few years...a lot of different foods bothered me. The usual, rice, pasta, certain cuts of beef. I stopped eating beef, but paid for it. About 2008 I was anemic and had to go on iron supplements for a year. Doctor told me I had to eat it once a week for the rest of my life so I have been doing that (flank and filet mignon are the only cuts that don't bother me/less fat) and have had no problems. I kept my weight off (maintained about about 150/size 8) but since going through menopause starting at age 47..now at age 55..I am up to 170 and am a size 12. I do lose if I eat low carb/keto..which I am doing now, but at age 55..if I stay a size 10/12..I'm good. I rarely get dumping syndrome, and I eat a bit more than I used to..but I trained myself to eat off a cake plate or using a decorative plate but keeping my food on the inside of the rim design, so as not to stretch out the pouch. Still lactose intolerant..but I was before surgery. I have never regretted this surgery. I never had a problem losing weight, just maintaining..even exercising like a fiend. The women on my Dad's side were all normal in their youth but out of high school started gaining. I lost weight 2x on my own..but could never keep it off..it would creep back within 4 years. I just wanted to live the rest of my life not having every waking moment consumed with "what I can't eat". I pretty much eat whatever I want..just in limited quantities. I am also on no prescription drugs of any sort, and have no afflictions whatsoever. Diabetes and heart disease run in my family, and I have no signs of either. Life is good. Very good.

Evelyn J.
on 3/25/19 11:43 am - Cedar Lake, In

RNY Sept 13, 2003!

i had my surgery on Sept 13, 2003!

I had problems with my surgery. I had the leak that was always told to us. I could not take anything by mouth for two months or until my drains were clear which was two months. But the results have been very good. Although I lost a 131 pounds and have after 15 years gained 40 back. I would do it over again if I needed to. I am now working on the 40 extra pounds to get back down where I was. So if you are just now having your surgery or have had your surgery and we're wondering if you can keep the weight off. You can if you follow the directions of your doctor. It's still work to keep the weight off.

Evelyn J.

331/200/180

Rhonda13
on 12/9/10 1:08 am
My friend had Lap RNY almost 12 years ago and was even on Oprah about it 11 years ago.. she has gained weight and had a very hard time throughout the years.. I am just happy I got my surgery now due to technology being better today...
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 11 replies · 69 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 292 views
What's on your Monday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 352 views
Monday Monday
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 48 views