Anyone 8, 10, 15 or 20 years post-op??

Sweetprincess
on 6/24/13 5:15 pm - bend, OR
RNY on 08/16/85

Seriously....I cannot be the only one out here.....

Sweetprincess
on 6/24/13 5:17 pm - bend, OR
RNY on 08/16/85

NO REGRETS.....seriously I cannot be the only person this far post-op

mom23reds
on 6/25/13 6:59 am - Bryan, TX
I will be 6 years out in September. My first 'problem' just occurred: small bowel obstruction.

I started out at 367 (5'1" tall). I got down to 208 in about 16 month. Then regained to 255. I'll find out tomorrow how much I weigh now since I lost a lot of weight with the obstruction.

My downfall has been exercise. I need to get back to the pool to walk five days a week.

Susan
PomMomTx
on 6/25/13 10:56 am

Hi there!

I had open RNY in April 1999. I lost 130+lbs and was compliant with eating and exercise for the first 5 years, and maintained at 180/sz 12 (I'm 5'8'). 

Over the years I regained 40 pounds which I have upped and downed for a while now.

It's STILL the very BEST thing I ever did for myself!!! I still maintain the vitamin/supplement regime to keep everything in balance.  Overall, I'm doing fine. I check the blood labs as regular as possible, eat not quite as good as I should (time to get back right on food and exercise to get back to goal) and am generally healthy.  

This thing works well as long as YOU work it for yourself!!  FYI - My surgery buddy is still at sz 9 goal (she had 2 kiddos post-surgery) and doing great! We touch base at least annually.

Open RNY/GB removal/appendectomy4/99; -132lbs; Re-gained 40lbs by '09; Now w/in 20lbs of goal/low wt

gypsy22
on 11/28/13 2:37 am - high river, Canada

Hi there I believe you've been looking for me!! I had surgery Dec 3 2001, this year marks my 12 year surgiversary from RNY procedure in Alberta. I never got down to my goal, but came close and mostly stabilized at 135 lb mark. My goal probably wasnt healthy at 120lbs. I have had minor regain up to 149lbs over the years. I let it be the kick in the pants I need, come back to the board and realign my head, obviously whenever you regain and look at it hard, you can figure out where and why it happened. Pouch rules are reminded, and eventually it comes off. If I eat more than 1200 cal/day I gain, simple. too loose I have to cut calories and sugar. Good luck everyone, it is possible to keep it off with exercise and determination. Also I would love to tell people who are in the honeymoon phase of loosing and they say "its gone forever", that is a fabrication they tell themselves and it sets the person up for regain, its NOT the right frame of mind. This is not the easy way, it requires work, and discipline.

Surgery Date: Dec 3 2001 w/Dr. Carl Nohr Medicine Hat, AB

SW: 235lbs; CW: 135lbs; GW; 125lbs

indybuttercup
on 11/28/13 3:10 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hi surgery 10/07. My Goal set by dr was to loose 50% of my body weight. I was 550 and am 265 now. Considering skin removal. Very happy no issues and even at 265 (I am 6 foot) I can run,jog, shop. I can eat anything but usually do high protein. Best thing ever

Kelly Sherley
on 1/19/14 1:16 am - Burleson, TX

NO REGRETS! Did it twice! Even though I am discovering the unknown side effects of RNY due to having it early on, I can help educate others and hopefully  prevent someone else experience the symptoms and health issues caused from malabsorption. I plan on blogging more on my site as time permits..but in summary

I am 12+ years post op. 10/2001 original. 

Revision in 2003 for staple line failure and had stomach transacted from pouch which was not commonly done in 01. The staple line failure allowed pouch contents to go into stomach inhibiting weight loss. 

MAY be related to RNY

Developed major depressive disorder. - lethargy - malaise . Finally diagnosed recently with autonomic dysfunction after seeing many doctors for 3 years. 

Google gastric bypass and autonimic dysfunction and you will find medical documentation and studies that are surfacing on some of us older post ops. Also found journals related to fybromyalgia symptoms developing in post ops.  Could it be as simple as depletion of vitamins and minerals over time? 

Here is one informative post

Severe Micronutrient Deficiencies in RYGB Patients - University of ... www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/.../ODonnell_November2011.pdf
KevinBacon
on 1/19/14 3:13 am
VSG on 03/10/14

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

billmacc7
on 1/19/14 3:33 am - MA

Love this thread...I am just over 3 years Post Op from Lap RNY, went from a high of 346 to 200. I try do follow the basics of mindful eating, protein first, vitamins, and exercise...loved hearing of those who are longer than 5 years post op and common traits being to follow the program!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

SJP
on 12/15/14 11:40 am, edited 12/15/14 11:41 am - Kansas City, MO

I know I'm answering this a few years late but it might help someone.  I had my surgery Sept 2003 and the only complication I had was in 2007...  I had been taking NSAIDs to help with hip pain (I know...I shouldn't have and I knew better but it was the only OTC drug that worked)...  Anyway, it caused intestinal bleeding which put me in the hospital for a few days.

other than that I've have no problems.  My WLS was RNY (proximal).

i started at about 265 then settled at about 118.  My diet over the years has taken a nosedive so I'm at 138 now....  Food is a constant battle so know that this is a longterm war.

Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 10 replies · 61 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 292 views
What's on your Monday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 352 views
Monday Monday
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 48 views