Anyone 8, 10, 15 or 20 years post-op??

ktharp89
on 12/8/10 11:25 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I feel like through my research and looking through these forums that I have a pretty good idea what my life is going to be like for the next 5 years after the surgery. But I was wondering how people are doing several years after their surgery. Any regrets? Lots of weight regain? Anything to add at all? I'm curious.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/10 11:40 am - Boston, MA
 great question I've been wondering the same thing!
Lisa N.
on 12/8/10 12:05 pm - Williston Park, NY
 I am 7 yrs out since having my gastric bypass in 2003.  When first had surgery, I started at 304 pounds and I went down to 187 pounds.  I was never the most compliant patient and I don't think, I ever understood at that time what I was supposed to do (how to eat and drink after this surgery) I started gaining back weight in 2006 and I had stomaphyx, which did nothing for me.  On 11/29/10 I had a revision of my bypass back to a bypass. My pouch stretched back to an original stomach, the stoma had also stretched. They made me a new pouch, new stoma, made a entire new connection. The surgeon also had to remove some intestine and the other part of my stomach was removed. I don't want to screw this up again b/c I don't have any other options after this surgery.
   Lisa
Dave Chambers
on 12/8/10 10:13 pm - Mira Loma, CA
The oldest RNY surgery patient I know is 11 years post op. I'm not sure RNY was done much before that time. BUT that said, my wife had a form of a gastric bypass surgery in 1980. I think it was called a jujuneo illeal bypass with a Koch switch.  It was not restrictive but very malabsorptive.  It took my wife 6 months to learn how to control her bowels from this surgery. She did lose a lot of wt. But she lived on Flagyl and Lomotil to control bacteria issues and diarrhea.  She had at least 3 minor repairs on this surgery over the next 15 years too.  In that time frame there didn't seem to be any specific type of wt loss surgery. More than one surgeon in my locale had their versions of a wt loss surgery.  My wife's surgeon was friends with Dr. Fobi, who does the Fobi Pouch surgery.  We had a taco dinner in a restuarant on the way home from her surgery, and appetite was not diminished.  Wt regain is possible with all wt loss surgeries. Long range success for wt loss control depends on your behavior modification once you're pst the honeymoon period. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MarilynT
on 12/8/10 10:40 pm
I am nine years post op.

I maintain my weight in the 150-155 range; it's not hard, but it does take MINDFULNESS and making the best choices 90% of the time. I eat everything~~and I mean EVERYTHING~~but in moderation. For example: I love Peppermint mochas from Starbucks. I go to Starbucks sometimes on a daily basis (yesterday, I went TWICE). But during PM season, I limit myself to one a week MAX. At Thanksgiving, I had a slice of Pumpkin Cheesecake; then, a few days later I had ANOTHER. But the following week, I went back to basics; and the few pounds I gained over the holiday were gone in a couple of days. It was probably mostly water, anyway!!  Sometimes I dump; sometimes I don't....

I have had TWO significant regains in the past (25-30 pounds); both surrounding stressful periods in my life. It IS possible to eat around this surgery and gain weight. It IS possible to lose significant weight gains by going back to basics (and for me, this DOESN'T MEAN protein supps, etc....I never really used those). Basics for me means lean protein FIRST, followed by healthy carbs (whole grains, fruit and veg) then healthy oils (EVOO, nuts, avocado). I also add or increase exercise when I want to lose, although admittedly I am a sporadic exerciser.

My health has never been better. My labs are always good or better.

I have had two "complications" (Petersen's hernia and small bowel obstruction) requiring further surgery. I just had PS 8 months ago (tummy tuck and breast lift).

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

AshleyInTexas
on 12/9/10 12:58 am - TX
I'm going working on 4 years post-op RNY but........

My mom had Open RNY 15 years ago.  Boy I'm sure glad mine was LAP RNY! She was cut wide open and recovery was a long road.  She was 350 pounds the day of surgery.  She got down to 125 pounds and at 5'5" she looked way to thin.  She decided that was skinny for her and gained a little putting her at 135-140 which is perfect on her.  She stayed at 135-140 for about 11 years.  She did have some regain after having a pacemaker put in this year and now she's at 155 pounds.  She doesnt like being at 155 and wants to lose about 10 pounds.

She's followed the rules strickly for 15 years.  My mom has yet to one sip of carbonation in 15 years.  She's done an amazing job and she's the reason I had my RNY!

The tool will work as long as you follow the RULES!

Ash ;o)

RNY 8-6-2007 stats 5'3"  HW-240  SW-232  LW-127 GW-120  CW-135   
Plastics round #1 on 3-23-2011 BL/BA 575cc & 550cc Silicone under the muscle     
Married 9 yrs with 3 kids- Savannah 8, Skyler 2 & Bryder 1

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

hzleyz60
on 10/6/12 12:23 am - AZ
Twenty years ago, at the age of 32, I had the Roux-en-y gastric bypass on May 20, 1992, twenty. At the time I weighted 298 lbs. Post-op, I was one of those patients that followed the program religiously. It took me 2 years to loose 150 lbs. through a program of diet and exercise. I hired a trainer to firm and tone and worked my way down to a size 4. At year 10, I found myself with cancer, but becasue I was in good health was able to beat it. Menopause has caused a weight gain of about 10 lbs but I live my life post op at a weight around 160 lbs. I am 5'6 inches tall so this puts me into a size 8. The only complication that I have had to monitor post-op has been anemia and lactose intollerance. 
  I take iron and vitamin supplements daily and get b-12 injections weekly. I continue to follow a diet of protein first, 5 small meals a day, no alcohol, no carbonated beverages. My excersize routine has kind of fallen off track due to a new job, however I do golf 2 times a week and walk 7,000 steps a day.  
To this day, I stay away from foods that are high in sugar because I do not want to "dump." WHen eating out, I always have them pre-package half my meal to take home. 
My surgery was one of the first ones done when they did the double row of staples and cut through them. Dr. Kastanza -now retired from San DIego Bariatric, one of the founders of this method was the surgon.  Iam active, healthy and would choose to do it over again if I was given the choice. 
Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/6/12 12:41 am - Baltimore, MD
 Good question. I think surgeon's offices could do better at keeping track of longer term folks so we have better accounts, data, etc.

I thank all those who are years out who post here!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MyLady Heidi
on 10/6/12 4:04 am
 I will be 8 years out in April of next yr, life is amazingly better, I am at goal 139lbs due to refusal to fail myself.  I don't eat a lot and really have a love/hate relationship with food and diet when my jeans feel tight.  Rny was a miracle for me.
Sweetprincess
on 6/24/13 5:12 pm - bend, OR
RNY on 08/16/85

have not been here in a bit....almost 28 years post-op RNY.....doing awesome,love to chat

Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday menu?
Ymaliz · 0 replies · 10 views
What's on your Tuesday menu?
Ymaliz · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Monday menu?
Ymaliz · 31 replies · 351 views
Monday Monday
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 48 views