When do you take your Colace??

AliSarah
on 12/7/10 6:27 am
So, I'm adding in a new thing to my schedule, which I had no need of before but definitely do now- It's Colace or Stool Softener... I don't know when to take it or how much of it to take... I've slowed way down on the iron until I get this collateral problem under control, because I am feeling better in one way and worse in the other and there has to be some kind of balance point, lol...

So, here's what I'm doing so far:

8 am Wake Up- allergy pill, seasonique (BC), Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and B12 sublingual
9 am Breakfast- chewable multi
Iron with first allowed drink after breakfast
12 noon 1st Lunch- chewable multi
Iron with first allowed drink after 1st lunch
3 pm 2nd lunch- calcium
6 pm 1st dinner- calcium
9 pm 2nd dinner- calcium
midnight bedtime

So, I  have to take the iron with first drink after food, or it upsets my stomach with a burning gas like pain and makes me miserable for about half an hour to 45 minutes, and it's easier for me to remember it at breakfast and lunch.  This way, I can space my calciums out over the afternoon, 2 BA Calcium Chews every 2 hours or with the last 3 meals. I generally get 64 ounces of water and between 80-100 grams of protein every day.

When is the time I should stick the colace into the schedule?? :D Is there a preferred time??

Thanks for the help!!
Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Kris H.
on 12/7/10 6:28 am - Columbia, MD
Believe it or not, I take 6 per day and still have problems (just got back from the store with Benefiber).  Anyway, I take 2 at a time... 2 at 10, 2 at 2, and 2 at 6.

HTH.
AliSarah
on 12/7/10 6:38 am
Oh Wow!! That has to get expensive...

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
Carebearny1999
on 12/7/10 6:40 am, edited 12/7/10 6:41 am - Rochester, NY
I take 3 a day, at bedtime. I buy the BJ's brand big bottle of them. So far it's working for me!

edit: It says on the bottle to take at bedtime, that's why I take them at bedtime--usually with 8-10oz of water....
Kris H.
on 12/7/10 6:41 am - Columbia, MD
I get a giant bottle from Costco.  But, you gotta poop!
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/10 6:50 am
I take mine in the evening... sometimes just after dinner, other times just before bed.  I generally take 4 at a time, one time per day and that seems to be helping me quite well.  I don't have a BJs or Costco membership, so I've just been buying the generic version from Walmart... but even going that route, it's not very expensive.  There's 140 capsules in the bottle I get, and it costs $3.00 per bottle.  So, it's definitely worth the price as it has kept me feeling good for the most part....

Good luck!

tori
siberiancat
on 12/7/10 6:54 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I take 3 at bedtime and 1 or 2 when I first get up.  I also put Benefiber in my breakfast protein latte.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

azreggie
on 12/7/10 7:26 am - Tucson, AZ
I take 4 before bedtime so I can get some water in with them.  And 2 heaping teaspooons of Benefiber in my morning coffee.

Reggie

Dave Chambers
on 12/7/10 7:28 am - Mira Loma, CA
I take 5-6 daily, usually morning, mid day and bedtime. I take the generic to save a few bucks.  Take a dry D3 as the D in your multivitamin is probably NOT going to give you the D levels you should have.  The amount of D3 each patient needs will vary, depending on your lab results.  I'll guess your D3 levels are already low or deficient.  But most post ops, or even the general public, has issues with D. Get a dry D3 capsule, not the softgels, with oil in them. I used 3 of the 5K IU dry D3 daily for 6 months. Then I upped it to 4 of the 50K IU per week. Then I had labs 2 months ago. My D3 levels were a 65.  Best levels are 80 or more, so I've upped it to 5 of the 50K iu weekly. BUT, there are some post ops that can have D3 levels at 90 or so on 10K iu daily.  If D is low, I'd take the 50K IU dry D3 daily for a month, then one every other day for a while and have labs rechecked. There really isn't any preferred time for your D. But I take mine with one of my calcium. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

AliSarah
on 12/7/10 8:26 am
Does the D level affect constipation as well?? I am taking the tender D3 50,000IU every day right now to get my d levels up... I have an appointment with my pcp on Dec 13 and I'm going to have him redraw everything I was deficient on to see if I am making any progress, lol... I'm taking the "big boys" on all the ones I'm taking in hopes of getting better numbers! The only thing I'm taking that I wasn't low on is B12, but I think that's because I've been taking it in a good amount since before the surgery...

This constipation thing is a nightmare!! I've never had this reaction to ANYTHING before, and that includes all kinds of iron pre-surgery!! I used to take  3 FeSO4 every day and never got constipated at all... but I switched to tender irons and whammo! I'm miserable!!  I'm hoping this is some kind of sign that the iron is at least getting digested in some way!! :D

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 277 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 264 views