I ate chicken noodle soup 5 days after surgery

mel718
on 10/20/10 12:33 am - Alpharetta, GA
 I had surgery 5 days ago and on my airplane flight home, I ate a cup of chicken noodle soup, noodles and all. Then about 2 hours later, I had a little bit of Ramen. I did not get sick, I had no pain, I did not throw up. When they took my post op x-rays, they said that everything was perfect and that they were "textbook" images. The doctors said I was doing great and I feel great. I am not going to go out and eat a steak or anything, I just wanted to check to see if anyone else had this experience. So...did you????
Kelly S.
on 10/20/10 12:39 am
No, I did not as noodles and ramen were not on my docs plan.  My plan called for protein shakes and liquids only the first two weeks post op and noodles and ramen are still not in my plan as they are simple carbohydrates and I am to concentrate on protein first and then fill up the rest with complex carbs and/or veggies and fruits.

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

mel718
on 10/20/10 1:07 am - Alpharetta, GA
 I think what I was wondering is if you were able to not if you did or not. Thats great that you are following your plan exactly to the T. I guess I was just wondering if anyone out there experienced anything like this. I had my surgery done in Mexico and my options were a bit limited on the airplane ride home and I was not able to fine a protein shake readily available...

Thanks for your response 

Kelly S.
on 10/20/10 1:34 am
Oh, I see what you are asking. I don't follow it to the T anymore, but early out I was afraid of hurting my new stomach.  I was educated that your new stomach has had the nerves cut and that we should measure everything because we may not have any feeling to let us know that we could be hurting ourselves. So be careful! 

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

gsdguenter
on 10/20/10 12:43 am
yup, as pp said, protein first and simple carbs aren't anywhere in sight for me.

mel718
on 10/20/10 1:10 am - Alpharetta, GA
I am on the same post op diet as anyone else. I know I am supposed to have the protein first. I just wanted to know if anyone else was able to do this. I know it is against the rules but I had my surgery in Mexico and my options were limited on the plane ride home.

Thanks for your post 
Stacey2268
on 10/20/10 1:13 am
I am 7 days post op and i totally understand your question and have experimented with things other than protein. Yes i know we are suppose to be on protein and wat for two weeks but i am getting my water down (at least 1 liter per day ) and all my protein in. I experimented with homemade chicken soup but i only ate 1/2 thin sliced mushy carrot and 1/2 slice of mushy potato and all went fine. The reason they say nothing other than protein and water is because if you have a problem getting your water and protein in then they dont want you to use space in your new tummy and fill it with anything other than that. If you cant get those things down then there shouldn't be a problem.

You can email me if you like so we can compare notes!
Stacey        
mel718
on 10/20/10 1:41 am - Alpharetta, GA
 Amen! Somebody understands my concern!!! Okay, now I don't feel like a freak of nature! I am currently drinking a weigh****chers vanilla smoothie protein shake with hole milk and little but of strawberry jell-o powder with a little bit of banana added also. (My mother concocted this) It tastes really good and seems to be doing down okay!
Stacey2268
on 10/20/10 2:12 am

WOW! Sounds yummy! How are you doing with your water intake? At first i had the hardest time to get even 8 ounces down in 24 hours but now it is much easier becasue i sip all day. I am back at work already too. I feel fine and full of energy. My worse pain is the gas pain but each day it gets better. My gaxs pain actually was my worse pain even on the day of surgery. SMH  All my incision are healing great and go for my post op first dr appt on 11/2/10.  How is your energy level and pain?  Are you still taking pain meds?  What hurted the worse after sugery?

You are not a freak of nature! Some of us will test the water to an extent and that is just life. If any of my drs/pa's would have said tha ti would hurt myself then i wouldnt have done it but there main concern was getting dehydrated so as long as you get all your water an dprotein in you should be fine! :)

Stacey        
mel718
on 10/20/10 2:19 am - Alpharetta, GA
 The worst pain I had was the day after surgery. While I was under, the did some sort of spinal block so that I would not be in any pain when I woke up. That lasted about 24 hours. By the early evening of the next day, the pain started to get a little intense. Then they gave me some medication call supra-dol. It is a little pill that you put under your tongue and it melts away. I took one last night, mainly to sleep. I have not had much pain other than gas pain, (farting never felt so good lol) I have been taking a few GasX a day.  I am healing okay but the wound with the drain in it is leaking out like crazy. It seems like every hour I look down and there is a wet spot. I am on my 3rd shirt today!!!! The water intake has been okay. I have almost finished an entire 20 oz bottle of power aid zero so far today! 
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Recent Topics