"Hormone Dump" question

Pam T.
on 8/30/10 12:19 am - Saginaw, MI
Estrogen is produced in... and stored in ... fat cells. As we rapidly lose weight, that estrogen is displaced and begins roaming the neighborhood looking for trouble. It's like a little street gang of estrogen.

I noticed the hormone surge immediately -- during the pre-op diet phase when I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. And it continued through about the 6 month mark when the weight loss leveled off a bit and wasn't quite as rapid.

The Estrogen Gang showed up in mood swings at unpredictable times. Happy, sad, giggly, depressed, down in the dumps, impatience, angry.... you name it, I experienced it. Nothing needed to trigger it, it just happened all on it's own.

But we can't blame it ALL on the hormones. A lot of it is because we can no longer turn to food to cover up our emotions. Instead we're forced to live with those emotions and face them day to day. No more hiding behind the fat and food to keep us from dealing with our problems.

Some people find that a gentle antidepressant Rx helps them get over the hardest part of the moodiness.

Definitely make sure you warn your family that this is NORMAL and that it won't last forever. And remember that the moodiness is a direct result of the weight loss.... so if you're a total ***** it means your surgery is working. So celebrate your inner estrogen *****! 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

LoveLikeWinter
on 8/30/10 1:57 am
That's part of it for sure, Pam. You just can't eat your feelings anymore. And all of a sudden (well, for me it was pretty damn quickly) you go from SMO or close to it to a "normal" looking woman with no way to cope and no way to eat your feelings and for some it's really scary. Add to that changing personal relationships and external factors and it's a big giant hormonal soup. 
_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
TheButterflye
on 8/30/10 2:28 am - Prince Georges County, MD
Therein lies an NSV for me.  I didn't even WANT to eat when it hit.  I just wanted to go to sleep/lay down, and it was after 9pm.  Sleeping is perfectly acceptable after 9pm.

LoveLikeWinter
on 8/30/10 12:22 am
Did someone say hormone dump?! haha I'm the poster child for "rabid hormone dumping"! It's caused by the estrogen release into the system and is usually worse the more rapid the weight loss. I've had it horribly bad for about a year now and it is JUST NOW starting to get better.

The only things that ever seem to help any are B12, exercise (I think from the release), adequate water, and getting enough sleep. My "horrible" days are always tied into not getting enough sleep and/or water the night before. Also, stabilizing my blood sugar helps with the rapid cycling/mood swings.

On my worst days, it felt like a very very bad case of untreated bi-polar with cycling as often as every 15-20 min. Now that it's starting to abate, I don't have the rapid cycling and can even go a whole day without wanting to murder someone, cry, yell, cry some more, threaten bodily harm again, repeat. :)

And I will throw the caveat in of getting checked by your regular medical doctor and a mental health professional just to check. I did and was cleared that I'm not actually experiencing a mental condition, which eased my mind and helped me come up with a plan to get my body back on track. I do still feel like I have some depression, mostly because now I have to deal with the fallout from a year of crazy, excessively nutty behavior, and it saddens me to see the strain it put on my relationships with those I love. It's hard.

PM if you need any more help! :) If nothing else, I understand how you feel, trust me.
_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
TheButterflye
on 8/30/10 12:32 am - Prince Georges County, MD
I thought I would make it through with NO symptoms of this at all.  I am glad to be in such good company, and while I think/feel like my case is 'mild' I won't hesitate to get treatment of any sort.  I've taken soem B-12 and am about to sip my Chai Protein Latte. I feel more peaceful even as I type.

cabin111
on 8/30/10 2:43 am
For men it is even stranger...Men have estrogen stored in their fat cells too.  Some men who are steady all their lives find they are "falling apart" all of a sudden.  It can really throw them for a loop!
TheButterflye
on 8/30/10 4:03 am - Prince Georges County, MD
I can imagine!  I mean it is foreign for ME, but I am a girl so I can just use the "I'm a girl" or PMS excuse and no one would be the wiser!

Furp1953
on 8/30/10 2:55 am
Oh my this is so normal.  Had my innards pulled out years ago and thought all that hormone stuff was over.  The menopause, Lord the grankids did not want to come over at times. It was like going though it all over, Terrible! I finally went to my doc and got me some hormone pills and creams.  This place makes it up for me. The doc even had some liquid vitamins made.  I feel much better. Never thought I would have to deal with that mess again.
As far as what kicks off, the old man could fart and that would be enough. If he didnt turn off the t.v right, pretty much him breathing. So I really mean, nothing can set you off.
Remember , its normal.
Most Active
Recent Topics