Waist-to-Height Ratio...the new BMI

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/10 11:08 pm - OH
For the snotty person who sent me a private message implying that my opinion about this method was simply because "it works out bad" {sic} for me...  My BMI is currently right at 24 ("normal", but just barely)  and the waist/height calculation is 48 (at the top of the "healthy and attrractive" {grr...} category), so in MY case the BMI and height/waist ratio say essentially the same thing... I am on the top end of the norma/healthy range.

So please quit making ignorant assumptions about where my opinions come from (or at least have the courage to post your assumptions publicly). BTW, why is MY opinion on this so threatening to you (because obviously it is)...?  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

christine G.
on 5/15/10 11:53 pm

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/10 3:10 am - Falls Church, VA
 Lora, I have no idea who you are talking to and addressing, but I dont think that this whole waist-to-height thing is BS at all.  It makes a helluva lot more sense than a BMI category.  I am someone who has always been top heavy, and I know this puts me at much more health risks than those that are bottom heavy.  A thick waist is hard on the heart.  Please keep this drama-free.  Thank you.
Lady Lithia
on 5/16/10 4:14 am
The article referenced didn't have "attractive" on it... so I have no idea where that came from either. slapping a number on me is just a crock... I'm happy, I'm stable, I'm healthy... adding a number is not going to materially help me or change a darn thing (plus I don't know where my measuring tape is)... Since all the doctors I've seen since reaching goal agree that I have lost all the weight I need to lose... I'm not going to sweat public perceptions or funky measuring systems that don't take into account differences in body type, composition or shape.

From the linked article:

"WOMEN
• Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
• Ratio 35 to 42: Extremely Slim
• Ratio 42 to 46: Healthy
• Ratio 46 to 49: Healthy
• Ratio 49 to 54: Overweight
• Ratio 54 to 58: Seriously Overweight
• Ratio over 58: Highly Obese

MEN
• Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
• Ratio 35 to 43: Extremely slim
• Ratio 43 to 46: Healthy
• Ratio 46 to 53: Healthy, Normal Weight
• Ratio 53 to 58: Overweight
• Ratio 58 to 63: Extremely Overweight/Obese
• Ratio over 63: Highly Obese "

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active