Waist-to-Height Ratio...the new BMI

Andrea U.
on 5/11/10 10:15 pm - Wilson, NC
Nah.  Normies are boring.

Be *special* like the rest of us freaks ;-)
Melody L.
on 5/12/10 8:16 am - Keizer, OR
Lol, yeah well I probably won't ever reach that "normal" category but at least I am a lot better off now than I was a year and a half ago.  I was going to tell you that I went to Sweden two years ago, we stayed in Stockholm for 9 nights, it was a wonderful trip, loved it!  Although I will say I am not a fan of herring in any form or beef carpaccio (blech), but the reindeer we had there was really good.  I'd love to go again someday.
~Melody~  5'6" Tall, 42 years old

Andrea U.
on 5/12/10 8:33 am - Wilson, NC
No Sil for you?  How about some lutefisk? ;-)
paranoidmother21
on 5/11/10 9:27 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Major change - 76 pre-op, down to 51 now. Yeah, it's still too large, but I can pick up the empty skin to my boobs and drop 2 pants sizes so I'm probably actually significantly lower on the ratio if only it were time for plastic surgery to get rid of the empty skin.

I can live with this - literally.

Rebecca
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/10 12:23 pm - NJ
Interesting - I got a 41 (25 divided by 60).

Extremely slim....two words I thought would never be used to describe me at the same time.

WOW - that's all I can say!
MSW will not settle
on 5/12/10 12:51 pm
Its the new "in" thing for measuring fat.  There will be many others.  There always are. 

According to this I am slender and healthy.  I am far from slender.  I can't see how "attractive" enters into a health assesment formula. 

I'm going to stick with the YMCA and military formulas for calculating body fat percentage.  Fat percentage is far more meaningful to me. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

christine G.
on 5/14/10 11:47 pm
oh boy! Nothing like losing 145 lbs in a year to fit into the 'seriously overweight' category at 56! just when I was looking in the mirror thinking maybe im not quite so fat afterall. jeez.

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/10 1:40 am - OH
Sorry, but I think this way is just as much bull**** as the BMI.  Even if put aside the issue of excess skin at the waist after WLS,  women (and men, for that matter)  who have an overall more muscular build will have a thicker waist than a non-muscular woman and some women who are at a perfectly healthy weight just have a body shape that includes a thick waist ("rectangle" shapes).  So you are being categorized/judged based on your SHAPE not your SIZE. 

And what the hell is the "healthy and ATTRACTIVE" all about (especially as opposed to "slender and healthy")?!?  So the "slender and healthy" people are NOT attractive!?!?  WTF? I see people on the street every day who are thin but are NOT attractive in the least!

I still think the body fat percentage, although not perfect, is the best indicator out there.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/10 3:11 am - Falls Church, VA
 Actually most muscular people tend to be very thin-waisted.  My husband is one of them.
Laura in Texas
on 5/15/10 10:53 pm
I LOVE this measurement.  It puts me in the "extremely slim" category!! 

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active