Waist-to-Height Ratio...the new BMI

shellymor
on 5/11/10 4:57 am - TX
I've heard of this, but hadn't read any specifics. I do think this a more accurate way to gauge what we are. I'm 44 on this- slender and healthy. I wonder how much it will change after I have ps in a few weeks.
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/10 4:57 am - Falls Church, VA
 This post wasnt meant to get anyone bent out of shape or feeling bad about themselves.  In fact, there are a lot of OH'ers here that fall a little overweight on the BMI category, but would be in an average category with this scale.  

Also for those that are early out's (under a year) and still losing, you should probably not do any sort of comparison here at all.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/11/10 5:08 am - Baltimore, MD
I think you did a good thing. BMI is highly flawed and folks need to know there are other ways of measuring.

As for me? Like I said. I'm not going to get to skinny. I could be all "woe is me" about it but you know what. I look GOOD dammit! Not skinny but good. I get hit on all the time. Nessa has seen the proof of that! Men stop their cars in mid-traffic to get my number! Not that that in and of itself makes me a success but I'm just sayin. I'm not the ONLY one obviously who finds me appealing :) And when I don't get all hung up on the skinny factor or the RNY "shoulda coulda woulda's" I am pretty happy with my results.

So you keep on rockin' sister girlfriend! I miss your *****y ass!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

ladybugnessa
on 5/11/10 6:02 am - Owings Mills, MD
Crystal,  I don't feel bad about myself

i just find terms like

slender and attractive   inappropriate terms used to define health.
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

paranoidmother21
on 5/12/10 12:10 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Or to define anything except a given person's biases about attractiveness.

Rebecca, giving a mental finger to the person who added "attractive" to the category
ladybugnessa
on 5/12/10 12:18 am - Owings Mills, MD
on a message board I own this information has create such a stir. 

I have women in tears about this... who in the world thinks they have the right to define someone as attractive for someone else.

personally men that are of a normal body weight do not appeal to me.  I like bigger guys. I find them attractive. I find "slender" and "fit" men tolerable at best....
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Not the Same Dawn
on 5/11/10 5:02 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
0.43 here...seriously! I thought my waist was 30 but it turns out that (after whipping out with the handy dandy measuring tape) it's a 28. How the heck did that happen when I feel like such a COW!?

Thanks for opening my blind ass eyes..
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
LoveLikeWinter
on 5/11/10 5:53 am
yeah mine is 28.
_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
jillbhappy
on 5/11/10 7:36 am - Oceanside, CA
Well ****I'm still seriously overweight.
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
Melody L.
on 5/11/10 5:58 pm - Keizer, OR
Sigh, still seriously overweight (just barely at 54.5 but still there).  Waist is 36 and height is 5'6".  Maybe someday I'll hit the normal category somewhere. 
~Melody~  5'6" Tall, 42 years old

Most Active