Miralax and Gatoraid as pre op prep?

OHHappyDaise
on 3/21/10 12:01 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Did anyone drink Miralax mixed with gatoraid as a pre op prep?  My pre op sheet  has me drinking a magnesium cit drink then a fleets enema. (oh boy).  Never had to do am enema before surgery.  Anybody else?.  My surgery date is getting close and now I am beginning to get on my own nerves. Really curious. 

Cathleen S.
on 3/21/10 12:11 pm
My surgery day is 3/30/10 too! I onlyhave to follow a two week diet where I drink 4 SF CIB a day and two fruits, 4oz lean protein and a cup of veggies. Oh yeah don't forget the 64oz of water!.... I wondered about any bowel prep stuff because I kept reading others here but at my preop on Thursday they said no...no need... go figure. All surgeons do things their own way I guess. Good luck on the upcoming surgery. I am getting really excited ( sometimes anxious) and am def getting on everyones nerves with all of my perseverating on getting the house clean etc.....lol

~Any reality you can imagine~

poet_kelly
on 3/21/10 12:14 pm - OH
I didn't have to do any kind of bowel prep.

Kelly
Funin AZsun
on 3/21/10 12:18 pm - AZ
Ah yes, I remember it well.  I had to mix a full bottle of Miralax into 64 oz of gatorade and drink 8 oz every 30 minutes until it was gone!!!  I have never been able to drink Gatorade again!!!
My mom had to do a Barium enema and for her prep she did the Magnesium Citrate drink and a fleet enema.

Have fun!!!  LOL
Holly
Goal weight reached 12/7/09 ~ 155lbs 5'8"
267 / 155 / 145
SW / GW / CW

"Cat hair is considered a condiment in this house"

Sara H.
on 3/21/10 12:41 pm - Champaign, IL
 I haven't had surgery yet but had to do that sort of prep for another surgery.  I was horrified at the thought. It really wasn't as bad as I thought.  It was over pretty quickly...no pun intended. This might be TMI but make sure you lay down right after and wait for it to do it's thing. Good luck!!

KerryJean
on 3/21/10 12:53 pm - IN

My surgery is on the 30th too, ladies!

That pre-op prep sounds close to what I had to do for my colonoscopy. But we don't have to do it for the RNY. Not sure I see the need for it. I have to be on two days fo clear liquids, and that alone is going to clean out the bowels.

dasie
on 3/21/10 8:22 pm

I had surgery on a Tuesday morning.  On the Sunday night prior, I had to drink the mag. citrate.  On Monday at 10 am, I had to take 4 Dulcolax.  Beginning at 3 pm I had to start drinking the Miralax/Gatorade mixture.  My surgeon wanted us to use the clear Gatorade, but it  had been discontinued.  I drove all over town and finally found a generic brand, but it was exactly like the clear one he wanted us to use.  Then a few hours after finishing the Miralx mixture , I had to use a Fleet enema....which I was very, very knowledgeable with.  I had used them often to deal w/constipation.  No big deal.

brenda549
on 3/21/10 11:27 pm - Duluth, GA
Oh yeah!  The miralax and gatorade!  Woohoo!  No enema though.   I didn't need it anyway after the miralax and gatorade concoction. 
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

Bevangelista
on 3/22/10 1:44 am
Oh, the miralax and gatorade... BLECH!!  I was supposed to drink that between 10 AM and 2 PM the day before surgery but, due to sick kids/doctor visits, I didn't start until 1:30.  Drinking 64 oz of Gatorade in under an hour is not fun -- the thought still makes me nauseous.  So, give yourself plenty of time -- start early!

The aftermath (bathroom trips) really wasn't too bad at all.  No pain or cramps like I expected, just frequent visits.

Good luck!
Barbara

Doesn't include 8 lbs lost pre-surgery        
OHHappyDaise
on 3/22/10 6:59 am - Las Vegas, NV
Woooo Hooo to all of us March 30rs.  I guess our docs have different approaches to getting us prepared for our new healthy pathways so I guess I will just suck it up (hehehe) and do the darn enema.  Thank you so much OH family for your responses. I hope that all that have begun the journey are healing swiftly and painlessly.... 8 more days,,, Yeaaaaaa...

Healthy ways adds healthy days.                     
Most Active