Band revision to RNY

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/10 4:44 am
I'm considering revision from lap band to either DS or RNY. I need to know if someone that had the lad band and had revision to RNY is doing better. Is the lap band rules and diet similar to RNY. This is my may concern since the band wasn't the right surgery for me.
Thanks, Chabela

"People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel "

Andrea U.
on 2/20/10 4:58 am - Wilson, NC
WHY wasn't the band right for you?

If you don't want to list it here, or in PM, that's fine.  But unless you do this profile very honestly, the it won't help you decide really which is better for you -- RNY or the DS.

So really, what was it about the band that made it unsuccessful for you?  And be as absolutely truthful and specific as possible, even to yourself -- cause it hurts absolutely no one BUT yourself.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/10 8:59 am, edited 2/20/10 8:59 am
Like to many other people, the band failed me. I did not fail the band. From these boards I have learned that if it all comes down to changing lifestyle and eating habits, why does one need the surgery in the first place?

Andrea U.
on 2/20/10 9:14 am - Wilson, NC
That alone tells me that RNY won't do it for you.

RNY requires that you change your eating habits.

Pam M.
on 2/21/10 4:07 pm - WA
You can read my profile, I revised from band to RNY, and it worked great for me. My doctor was also very clear that I did not fail the band, the band failed me. I never considered DS, so I can't speak to which is better. I personally find eating with RNY easier as I had a lot of foaming/PB'ing and chest pain with the band. I dump with RNY, so if I over do the sugar or fat, it is not fun! But I'm thrilled with my decision to revise to RNY.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

1bigqt
on 2/22/10 3:55 am
I too revised from band to RNY.  Best decision I ever made.  I did not have the DS option but needed to do something because my band caused esophogeal ulcers.  I would do the revision again in a heartbeat.  I have lost weight steadily and found the lifestyle change to be similar although eating with the bypass is easier than the band.  I also dump but for me that is a good thing.  What made your band not work - for some it is slippage, others, esophagitis and ulcers, others is failed weight loss...  although it doesn't matter - you will have to adopt the RNY eating lifestyle if you convert.  Good luck with your decision.
 Deb B
Banded 2006
Debanded and RNY 8/25/2009

"It's a brand new day"

Most Active
Recent Topics