OT- Bra shopping (long)

Any of you who have lost a significant amount of weight know that a result is that our clothes don’t fit anymore. Not a big deal, right? If you once wore a size 24 jeans and you’ve lost a lot of weight you might try a, say, size 20 and go from there. And your shape changes a bit, so you might have to grab a few different styles of jeans to find one that matches your new shape, right?

Well, let me tell you about my bra shopping ordeal, and I do mean ordeal! First mistake, I take my DH with me. . . the first time, at least. I had some coupons for Kohl’s so we went there. I told DH to look around the store, or even go next door to Lowe’s if he wanted.

After saying this, I then turned and was faced with a sea-o-bras!! Racks and racks of over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders! Zebra prints, hot pinks, even hounds-tooth print (I’m not making this up. . . Chaps makes a hounds-tooth bra). Bras with no straps, bras with two straps, bras with racing straps, bras with sticky tape (why anyone would put double faced tape on their boobs is beyond me. . . hey, maybe DH could pick me up some carpet tape over at Lowe’s).

Now, I must’ve been "lucky" that day, because each of the racks were fully stocked, over stocked, and each bra was on its own little, flimsy hanger, you know, the clear plastic ones that have those little hooks that are supposed to hold the straps of the bras? Yeah, the ones that break off the minute you try to take the bra off the hanger.

Before WLS, I wore a straight 42D. Always. Now, after losing over a hundred pounds I had no friggin’ clue. So I tried a 38C. Big time boob spillage, but the band was dead on. Cool. So I go to 38D. Nope. Spillage. 38DD?? Nope, boob swimmage. CRAP!

I took 10 different 38Ds into the dressing room. None of them fit right. Finally, I find one that works. Whew!! I was pretty sure DH was wondering if I’d died in the dressing room. So I go back out, buy two of the same style that fit and head off home, feeling very happy with myself.

Oh, but wait, my sweet! My happiness was short lived. You know, we’ve all done it. We buy a bra, take it home and the first time we wear it, we find something that’s just not right. Well, I find that when I bend over, I get boob spillage out the top of the cups, and when I stand up, the boobs don’t settle. . . I end up with muffin top boobs, so to speak. CRAP! And double CRAP! Luckily, I saved the tags and my receipt.

So, today I toodle back to Kohl’s and again, I’m faced with sea-o-bras, and I start the process all over again. Do you realize that if you’re one of the lucky ones with itty-bitty titties, you are much more likely to find your size and style than if you have 38Ds? Yes, yes, I know. . . even larger sizes are even more troublesome, but we’re talking about me, here.

Again, I head off to the dressing room with 10 bras. Only this time, I see a sign “Please limit your selection to 5 items of less". Yeah, no. I am NOT going to waste my time having to make multiple trips to the dressing room because of their arbitrary number, thankyouverymuch.

I tried on so many bras (yes, I even tried on the hounds-tooth one), if I never see another bra again, it will be too soon. I actually made three trips to the dressing room today. Yep, you math wizard you, that means 30 bras. Number 28 was the winner!! 

I need two bras, so I go back out and don’t you know I can’t friggin’ find where the winner bra is? I have to go back through all the racks till I find where it was, and finally, finally find two of the same size, same style, different colors, and they aren’t whacko colors. We’re good to go, and I head off to the cashier, where she brightly says, “Will that be all today?"

Yep, me and the girls are good, thanks.  

BraFriends.jpg Bra Friends image by rivermikerat

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

barbccrn
on 7/15/09 6:38 am - Las Vegas, NV
Yea...I used to ***** when I was a 48 DD and now I'm *****ing at being a 36C...the extra skin out the side of bras...IS KILLING ME!!!!! Glad that Michael's GF works @VS and I can get her 30% discount.
Note to self...tell Michael if he thinks of breaking up with Brittany(small chance...dating for 2 1/2 years) I'll KILL HIM!!!!!!  

And DON'T ever take the DH bra shopping!!!!! I'd rather chew glass than listen to Ron's whining!!!!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Forevrtaja
on 7/15/09 6:41 am
LOL!!!  Your story made me smile.  

I'm in the begining of my RNY life so I am rapidly losing.  Try finding one of those "boulder holders in a 54H, now thank goodness I am comfy in a 50 DDD (bought it 5 weeks ago) but I can see it too will be too big and I will be on the hunt again, At least I know I'm not alone.
I am not saying good-bye to food, but just setting new boundaries in our relationship 

HW/SW/CW/GW
404/387/212/199
Fleur de Lis TT with Hernia repair 8/20/2010.  13 lbs of skin removed!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/15/09 6:42 am - OH
I had a similar ordeal a few months ago... I ended up going to Victoria's Secret (just intending to buy one sexy bra), but I *finally* found one that fit properly (even though it has more "padding" to provide support and fill out the proper shape than any 36DD needs!), so I bought three.  One of the few I was able to find that helped pull things forward AND keep them up.

Glad you were finally successful!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/15/09 6:51 am - Baltimore, MD
Ok, this may seem vampy (yes vampy...not that other word) but I like the bras that don't quite fit enough now. I find my cleavage looks normal in them. As opposed to the wrinkly paper bag hot mess it is when I wear a regular bra.

I vow before the summer is over to go to Victoria's Secret and have a run of the place. Just because I can. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Kaitlin N.
on 7/15/09 6:59 am - Dallas, TX
I feel your pain, but I'm also just jealous that you could find 30 different bras all in your size in a single store! I was a 42H before surgery and am now a 36G, so I'm relegated to the the specialty store where I'm lucky if they have five styles to choose from.

Bra shopping sucks.
--Kaitlin                       Start - 285 / Surgery - 267 / Current - 177 / Goal - 170
photo
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/09 7:03 am
i know what you mean... After I lost my weight - I spent 3 hrs in Kohl's - and I found 2 styles that worked for me - cost ~$40 for both. That was great. 

then I had Breast lift with reduction and..... went to Ross and spent $40  and got ---- 10 different bras, that fit me - different sizes, cheap cheap... nice ... (OK i am bragging - but that was the best money spend on PS) By girls are not perfect - and probably I will need a revision - but - they are great even as they are now.... with scars and all...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The good news after this whole ordeal?

Between coupons, sales and deals for Kohl's card users I got two $30 bras (total $60) for $11.63!!! 

homer-woohoo.gif picture by squids_mom    

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/09 7:14 am

I am usually very frugal and I am great with deals, but I  to you...

You shopped ... wisely...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hIpPoLICIOuS ..
on 7/15/09 7:18 am - CHICAGO, IL
Firstly, I peed again! you're ******g cracking me up *****!  oh ****!

You are SO right.... I HATE shopping for bras, so many different kinds, and they all serve a different purpose, one support or lift or enhancement or reduction, or how about the ones that do everything! oh yay! well, I don't want them to do everything, sometimes I need one that serves maybe two of the purposes mentioned above hello!

I also have gone with DH sometimes, he sits outside and holds the bras that I'm not allowed to take inside the fitting room, btw.... why is that about not taking more than 5 items or 10 or whatever? if someone is going to steal them, would it matter if they take 5 or 10? as long as they count it before you go in, that should be sufficient I think.... but whatever.... I use DH to hold them, and I holler when I'm done with the first 5 or 10....

You're right again about boob spillage, so damn hard to get it right! which reminds me how hard it is to buy feminine products... have you seen how many different tampons and pads are out there? it's ******g overwhelming! I just stand there and stare at the whole isle.....over and over... and still come out of there with the wrong ****!

Anywho.... next time take some alcohol in your purse so you can sip it and alleviate the stress of bra shopping... and maybe it's better if you don't take DH.... unless you'll be trying more than 5 bras....

Even hippos need love sometimes... arent we human after all ?heart
PhotobucketBelly_dancer.gif belly dancer image by cadu379

06/30/10

Recent Topics
Happy Friday!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 48 views
What's on your (photo) Friday menu?
Ymaliz · 45 replies · 350 views
What's on your Thursday menu?
Ymaliz · 42 replies · 347 views
Another Tuff Day!
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 63 views