Love Popeye's red beans and rice?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/22/09 11:42 am - Baltimore, MD
You'll love this recipe then! Tastes just like Popeye's! I don't have a pic but I'm going to be eating it for a few days so...maybe I'll take one tomorrow.

Nik's Red Beans & Rice

Ingredients:

Red Beans:

1 can red kidney beans (light or dark, doesn't matter)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 c. skim milk
1/4 c. 0% unflavored Greek yogurt
A coupla shakes onion powder
A coupla shakes ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp imitation bacon bits

Rice:
1 head cauliflower
2 tsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (I use Blue Bonnet Light)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions.

1. Drain beans and combine with garlic, milk, and yogurt in a blender or food processor and pulse until pureed

2. Pour into skillet sprayed with nonstick and put on a medium flame. Add spices and bacon bits and stir until mixture thickens. Be sure to pull the beans away from the skillet so they don't stick. A baking scraper works well for this job.

3. Transfer beans to a bowl and cover until ready to serve

4. For cauliflower rice, cut cauliflower head into florets and parboil. Drain and then mash into rice consistency with potato masher. Add "butter" and salt and pepper to taste.

5. Combine "rice" with beans and enjoy!

WARNING: this recipe may cause excessive and heinous farting, carb comas, and moments of sheer ecstasy.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

waitinggame
on 6/22/09 11:44 am - Bowie, MD
I was just talking about Popeye's red beans and rice with my niece. Thanks for sharing--I'll be giving it a go. And the heinous farting will just be nice ammo to battle hubby with!!

Thanks Nik!

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/22/09 11:51 am - Baltimore, MD
Biological warfare...riveting.

I forgot to mention that if you're in a hurry or don't feel like doing the Rachel Ray thing with the beans (meaning you don't feel like hauling out the blender/food processor), canned fat free refried beans will work although in my recipe the yogurt and imitation bacon bits add protein.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MaurieG
on 6/22/09 12:05 pm - Chula Vista, CA
This looks sooo good!  I've been meaning to ask you for the "Rice" recipe!

Thanks!

262     139      /       145       /      130
Start  Current  Doc's Goal   My Goal

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/09 1:14 pm - Falls Church, VA
Their 'beans' seem essentially like refried beans at Popeye's.  I made this for hubby the other night with brown rice...it was gooooooood.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/22/09 2:00 pm - Baltimore, MD
Yeah basically. I like real red beans and rice too but something about Popeye's fake ass version is so appealing to me. I eat them with cauliflower rice mainly because too much of any rice screws with the ol' pouch. I can eat infinite amounts of cauliflower rice.

Ckingslim
on 6/22/09 1:39 pm - Enterprise, OR
Sounds delish, thanks for sharing!

mcb12345
on 6/23/09 6:54 am
Wow. This sounds amazing! Def will be making this!
Check out my blog! Food, Fatness, and Life After RNY
And my YouTube Vlog - My Weight Loss Experience
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 255 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 239 views
Ajjj! It?s Monday!