getting a tattoo after surgery

emmastormy
on 2/13/09 2:06 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I am 6 1/2 weeks out from surgery; have lost almost 50 pounds with about the same left to lose. 

I am wanting to get a new tattoo on the upper part of my back...but wondered if anyone knew if it was too soon or if it would be ok?   Has anyone gotten a tattoo after surgery?  How long did you wait?

Thanks!
Emma
Emma Stormy
FastFingers ~*~
on 2/13/09 3:05 am, edited 2/13/09 3:05 am
It's waaaaaaaaay too early in my opinion.  You want to wait until you know what going to droop, sag, deflate, wrinkle, or be covered by a fold of skin or otherwise look awful - and some of that doesn't happen until the very last few pounds come off. 

I waited more than two years to get my latest tattoo because I wanted it to be pretty forever.    Knowing which areas still had nice, smooth skin is important.  You don't want your new tattoo to look like it's on a 90 year old woman NEXT YEAR, do you???

This one is on the small of my back.  But if I had put it on my belly (which used to be smooth), it would be on skin that looks like THIS now:

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Shauna E.
on 2/13/09 4:16 am - Wendell, ID

Nice tattoo!  You say that is on the small of your back?  I was looking at my tattoos on my back--shoulders, and they still look good.  Though that particular area is not a place where one would expect sag, although I was concerned about the appearance of stretch marks, and I can't really see any.  But I definately want to get my next one on the small of my back as well.  Everywhere else is, well, as you put it kinda droopy and saggy! 

FastFingers ~*~
on 2/13/09 4:38 am
Thanks!  The sun is for my late father, a true sun worshipper.  The stone in the center is my dear daughter's birthstone, and the rays represent the birthstones of my father, mother, brother, husband, daughter, and stepfather.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

ramona214
on 2/14/09 10:54 am
I love the meaning of your tattoo!  You must be a very creative person.

Ramona
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/09 3:06 am - Quincy, CA
Ya ever stick silly putty on newspaper before and transfer the ink onto the putty and then stretch and move the putty around to morph the transfered image?
Don 1962
on 2/13/09 3:24 am
Good analogy.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

melatuck
on 2/13/09 4:57 am - Saline, MI
Get it on the top of your foot. It hurts like hell, but your foot shouldn't "sag". I have a tattoo on my foot and it is my favorite...I have a total of 8. Make sure and do it during a season when you dont need to wear a shoe though because it swells like crazy and wearing a shoe can hurt. Good luck!

Highest-264/Surgery-257/Current-178/Goal-125
Shauna E.
on 2/13/09 5:21 am - Wendell, ID
That's a cool tattoo!  But I don't know if I could handle that, pain-wise.  On your ankle or calf probly wouldn't be too bad.  Thanks!  You definately gave me some ideas.
JerssyQueen
on 2/13/09 11:20 am - Lancaster, PA
Hi there
I actually got 2 since surgery.  They were both on my back and were done around 5 months and 7 months out.  I knew the risks of skin sagging and as usuall I couldn't wait and got them anyway.  As you can see in the pic there was no sagging skin so I lucked out.  I've lost more weight since the pic and still it looks great to me so thank god 

311     /     286    /      150    /   160
Highest /   Surgery  /  Current  /  
  Goal

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 240 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 337 views