Stool Softeners? How many do you take a day???

wendy_fou
on 12/23/08 12:13 am - AR
None.  I vowed never to take them or laxatives post-op and I haven't.

I didn't want to start relying on them to go.

I chew sugar free gum and that keeps me regular.  I also take Citracal Plus which has magnesium in it, which keeps me regular too.

If I ever have a time where I go a couple of days without going, (very rarely), I don't fret about it.  One of my surgeon's "rules" is that you don't HAVE to go every day.  (I usually DO, but I don't panic if I don't.) 

There are plenty of ways to add fiber to your diet which is usually why some WLS post-ops have trouble "going".  Flax seeds, benefit "crystal light" type drink mixes, etc can be added to your daily intake.  Also, making sure you have enough FAT in your diet is essential. 

Good luck!
JB1114
on 12/23/08 1:25 am - Grain Valley, MO
Big problem for me too.  I take Walmart's Equate brand of stool softener and laxative, 2 pills about every other night.  I also use Miralax mixed in applesauce.  The Miralax is expensive but very effective.  I don't think there is any problem taking it daily.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

ireneb
on 12/23/08 2:40 am - Eureka, CA
I'm six months out (today is my 6 months) and the only thing I found to work is a tea called "Smooth Move".  I drink it every other day and it cleans me out.  It's all natural herbs, etc.  I tried everything else and this is the one for me.

Irene
foobear
on 12/23/08 4:11 am - Medford, MA
This stuff contains senna.  That's why it works.  You can also buy generic senna laxative tablets in any drugstore.  "Smooth Move" also contains licorice root (why, I dunno) which can cause water retention and potassium loss, so if you find yourself retaining water excessively, you might want to ease off the stuff.

/Steve
Terry P.
on 12/23/08 6:02 am - Wappingers Falls, NY
I make muffins that have flax seeds and meal in them. No constipation issues at all. I also drink lots of herbal teas during the day.

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 286 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 265 views