Bolthouse Farms Mocha Cappuccino

Wendy S.
on 2/25/08 1:39 am - Ohio, OH

I have tried several protein drinks and all of them make gag.  The only thing so far that I can drink is  Bolthouse Farms Mocha Cappuccino.  It does have coffee in it.  Can we drink coffee post op? How about after surgery?

Baseball-Mom
on 2/25/08 1:49 am - Pittsburgh, PA

I looked at this the other day at the grocery store. We really are not suppose to have caffeine and this has caffeine.Also watch the sugars. I took this info from their website.

• Excellent source of 7 Vitamins and Minerals.
  • Good source of Potassium and Iron.
  • Packed with 10g of Whey Protein per 8oz serving.
  • Contains 18 Amino Acids.
  • Low fat ~ All Natural ~ No Added Sugars. It says NO added sugars but then look below at the nutritional information 28GR !
  • Contains 60mg of caffeine per 8oz serving.
    (One cup of brewed coffee ≈ 115mg)
  • No preservatives and nothing artificial. 
  • Serving size: 8 fl. Oz (240g)
    Amount per serving:
    Calories: 178Calories from fat 20

Total Fat 2.5g
       Saturated Fat 1.5g
       Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 13mg
    Sodium 106mg
    Potassium 675mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29g
       Dietary Fiber 0g
       Sugars 28g
    Protein 10g
    % Daily Value*
    4%
    7%

4%
    4%
    19%
    10%
    0%

Vitamin A 8%Vitamin C 150%
    Calcium 45%Iron 10%
    Vitamin D 20%Vitamin B6 150%
    Vitamin B12 150%Magnesium 20%
    Zinc 20%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

Calories:2,0002,500

Total Fat
    Saturated Fat
    Cholesterol
    Sodium
    Potassium
    Total Carbohydrates
    Dietary Fiber
    Less than
    Less than
    Less than
    Less than
    65g
    20g
    300mg
    2,400mg
    3,500mg
    300g
    25g
    80g
    25g
    300mg
    2,400mg
    3,500mg
    375g
    30g

Keep Refrigerated.
    Ingredients: Mocha Cappuccino (Low Fat Milk, 100% Arabica Coffee, Natural Flavors, Vanilla Extract (Madagascar),Cocoa), Milk Whey Protein, Potassium Diphosphate, Apple Juice, Pectin, Carrageenan, Calcium (Tricalcium Phosphate), Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Magnesium (Magnesium Oxide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Zinc (Zinc Sulfate), Iron (Ferrous Lactate), Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin).
  •  

Spring Text  

Karen The Papaya
    Queen

on 2/25/08 2:26 am - somewhere
    It says NO ADDED SUGAR, it doesn't say no NATURAL sugars look at the ingredients list.... milk contains LACTOSE and the apple juice contains FRUCTOSE....

Life is tough, but my God is TOUGHER
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed.? Gandhi
    The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot  Do....

377/331/198/175 Highest/WLS/Current/Goal

Wendy S.
    on 2/25/08 1:56 am - Ohio, OH

I'm pre-op so do you think this is ok to drink?

Wendy S.
    on 2/25/08 2:03 am - Ohio, OH
    I hate to sound like a baby...but I really do gag.  The only one I can stomach is the Bolthouse Farms Mocha Cappuccino.   Will the caffine make the surgery harder for them to do...... the RNY?
    (deactivated member)
    on 2/25/08 1:59 am, edited 2/25/08 2:00 am - Eagle River, AK
    Hi, I can completely relate to what you're saying. I'll bet I have tried around 50 different protein shakes and I don't have a single one that I can honestly say I really enjoy. I do have a small list of ones under the column header of "sucks less than others" though. After trying every expensive protein powder out there I have settled on Pure Whey by Body Fortress. I can get a big jar at Wally World for $12. As for premixed shakes they only ones I find palatable are the ERA shakes. The cafe caramel isn't half bad. But don't stock up on protein before your surgery. You will find that your tastes will change drastically after surgery. Something you found pleasant pre-op may gag you post-op. It's best to get as many different samples as you can and just experiment until you find something you can tolerate. As for caffeine, my surgeon said to give it up. I had been doing wonderfully with that up until about three months ago. I had one cup of regular coffee and it was like I opened up Pandora's box. Now I'm drinking full leaded again. I hope this helps. - Bob
    Carissima
    on 2/25/08 2:07 am - Greenville, SC
    RNY on 03/06/07 with
    Man o man I love these things.  But I agree with the previous poster... 28g of sugar.  If you don't dump, then you will be ABLE to tolerate it, but do you really want to?  I drink them RARELY as a treat.  As far as tolerating, I wouldn't worry too too much because your tastebuds change after surgery anyhow. 
    Official Prez of the 200 club.  The place to be when you are waiting to see a 1. 

Congrats to all of our Former Members.  We love you.

I am stealing this idea!  My weight on Jupiter: 508.2, Mars: 81, and the Sun: 5820.4

Wendy S.
    on 2/25/08 2:21 am - Ohio, OH
    I am pre-op....so I am trying to find my way thru all these protein drinks.  I must have tried 20 different one already... My surgery is March 5th
    Pam T.
    on 2/25/08 5:33 am - Saginaw, MI
    Like others have said... I'd stay clear of the Bolthouse ones.  Only 10g of protein and WAY too much sugar and a lot of calories.   The best thing you can do is experiment with a TON of different protein powders.  Don't buy the big jars, it's a waste of money.  Get samples and try as many as you can.  It'll save you a ton of money and will also allow you to try out some brands you never would have thought of.  I posted a list of resources for samples on my profile when I was just a month out...   I'll copy it below: ----------------------------  After surgery your tastes will change a bit so something you like now might not work for you after.  And since protein powder is so expensive, samples is the best way to try out a whole bunch of different kinds without breaking the bank.

www.enjoyhealth.com -- I ordered their 21-flavor pack which gave me a chance to try out the Nectar and Champion flavors.  I found a couple that I loved.

www.bariatriceating.com -- They also have samples at reasonable prices.  I ordered about a dozen different flavors from their ale-carte selection. 

www.vitalady.com -- I haven't ordered from her, but I hear that many have had great success with her samples as well.

GNC -- They have a few varieties for sale but also often have samples under the counter that they give away.  I was in my local GNC the other day and mentioned I was having problems finding a vanilla brand that I loved and the sales clerk gave me 5 packages of 2 different brands of powder to try.  For free.

Also, if you're a part of a support group locally, ask the members to all bring you a scoop of their favorite in a ziploc baggie.  This will let you try a variety without cost and they are always more than happy to help a fellow newbie out!

I am 4 weeks out and finally found 1 powder that I LOVE (Champion Cookies -n- Cream) so I've only bought 1 jar of powder (best price at www.allstarthealth.com).  Otherwise I've been living on samples.
    --------------------------- Since this post, I've also found that I love the Nectar Chocolate Truffle and the Nectar Cappuccino --- I fix them as hot drinks and have one in the morning to help settle my usual morning tummy grumbles.  (I cant' do solid food first thing in the morning, but a hot drink helps to clear out the mucus build up from overnight and set me up for a good pouch day.) Good luck! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
    Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Jandell
    on 2/25/08 5:38 am - Glendora, CA
    I wouldn't drink them, there is no where near enough protein. The carbs should be lees than half the protein.  Try www.unjury.com they have samples, and it was one of the only protein drinks I could tolerate.
    Jan
    I know I can, I know I can
    Most Active
    Recent Topics
    Tuesday Blues
    EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 6 views
    What's on your Tuesday Menu?
    Queen JB · 5 replies · 23 views
    Ajjj! It?s Monday!
    EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 43 views
    What's on your Monday Menu?
    Queen JB · 21 replies · 200 views