Flavorless Protein Mix

Julia23
on 2/11/08 2:40 pm, edited 2/11/08 2:44 pm - UT
I saw this comerical on TV a couple weeks ago of this flavorless powder Protein stuff that you can mix in with anything.  Does anyone know what it is called. And if that is a good option?   I really don't think I want to go buy huge bags/cans or whatever of Protein mixes and turn out that I cant stand them.  I think it's a better option to buy one that is flavorless so you can mix it with water, fruit smoothie, whatever...... I plan on going to Costco to buy all my vitamins and protein stuff so I can be prepared.(Surgery date March 13th. YAY!!!!) Seems like a good idea to me considering I will be taking for the rest of my life, might as well buy in bulk. And the vitamins I will need are: Multi Vitamin, Vitamin B12, Iron, and Calcium, right?  Anywho, and suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!!!!! Julez
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 2:44 pm
Julia, you might want to reconsider buying your various supplements at Costco, unless they are CHEWABLE.   After RNY, you might not be permitted to swallow whole pills and tablets for 3-6 months (and maybe longer).  Crushing them is a PITA, and it might be easier to just buy what you need in liquid and chewable form. bariatricadvantage.com vitalady.com ... Your local pharmacy ... Others will come along with some suggestions! Charm
Julia23
on 2/11/08 3:12 pm - UT

OK, So I went to BariactricAdvantage.com and I put all the 4 vitamins I would need in the cart. I chose mostly the ones that had more than just 30.  Like the 3 month or more supply.  My total was $94.80.  I thought that viatmins would be really cheap?  Is there anywhere you can get them cheaper?

DEBI R.
on 2/11/08 2:58 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I BOUGHT SOME UNFLAVORED PROTEIN POWDER AND I DON'T CARE FOR IT BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO CLUMP IN EVERYTHING I PUT IT IN. I ADDED IT TO YOGURT AND IT  GAVE IT A DIFFERENT TASTE, IT'S NOT 100 % TASTELESS BUT IT DOES HELP GET PROTEIN IN.  I DRINK ISOPURE DRINKS FROM GNC, A 20oz BOTTLE HAS 40 GRAMS OF PROTEIN IN IT AND IT COMES IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT FLAVORS, I LIKE THE GRAPE FROST THE BEST. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY, GOD BLESS.

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

pammylou
on 2/11/08 7:39 pm - Tallmadge, OH
I used Beneprotein - supposed to be tasteless and odorless, but I couldn't handle it in any drinks, but it did do better in applesause and yogurt.  I use a brand called "Optimal Nutrition" which comes in lots of flavors.  I tired the chocolate and now use the banana cream.  Once I was able to use real bananas I added that to the mix, put it in my Magic Bullet with skim milk and had a great shake with about 30g protein in an 6-8oz glass.  I am not using the powered protein much now because my surgeon wants me to get my protein from food.  I still might add some  when it is hard to get all the protein in.  Unjury also has an unflavored protein as well, but like others will tell you, the smell is often a turnoff.  Good luck with your surgery!

Highest wt: 1/4/06   - 296
Met surgeon: 6/7/07 - 287
Surgery day: 12/12/07 - 277
Current: 9/28/08 - 196.5
Drs Goal 180   My Goal: 145
     "When a believing person prays, great things happen."  James 5:16

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 8:25 pm
Couple of things.  I use Unjury--it's a flavorless protein powder with 25 g of protein.  It's available at www.unjury.com.  It doesn't clump, and stirs in completely.  I put it in my morning oatmeal every morning. Vitamins--BariatricAdvantage is VERY expensive, IMHO.  I started out using the Walgreens version of Centrum chewables.  Twice a day.  Much less expensive.  Now I use a Tropical Oasis multi-vit from www.vitacost.com.  Their prices are very reasonable.  I also use their liquid calcium/magnesium citrate. Vits don't have to be expensive.  Shop around, and online--you'll find good deals.  Just make sure you get Calcium CITRATE--we don't absorb the calcium carbonate very well. BTW, congrats on your upcoming surgery!!
Karen The Papaya
Queen

on 2/11/08 8:52 pm - somewhere
First off, flavorless doesn't mean tasteless... all protein powders have some sort of after taste from the whey/soy protein itself... some have more than others.....  When adding protein powder to hot foods just remember not to add it to boiling hot anything and don't bring it back to a boil either as all protein will clump and become nasty if it gets too hot....  after dissolving the protein powder in a little cool water or milk it can slowly be added to hot food... Any Whey makes a flavorless that I have added to soup or broth successfully although even when adding it to my milk for cereal I can taste it.....

Life is tough, but my God is TOUGHER
"There is more to life than increasing its speed.? Gandhi
The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot  Do....

377/331/198/175 Highest/WLS/Current/Goal

nikkibeat
on 2/11/08 10:04 pm - Marrero , LA
I also use Unjury... Unflavored.  I just had some in my Dannon Light & Fit yogurt.  It did make my yogurt taste a bit more creamy than normal.  And of course Unjury also comes in many other flavors.   You may want to talk to your Dr before going out to purchase may vitamins.  I know my Dr will require certain brands and/dosages at least for the 1st few months... Be sure you don't waste your $ .   B-12 is very important to get the proper one... Congrats on the March 13 surgery date... I cannot wait until I can say that I have a date!  
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/12/08 12:26 am - OH
I find the Unjury flavorless to be truly flavorless (although it does have a slight smell) when mixed with almost anything.  I don't buy any other kinds of protein powders because most of the others I tried were pretty nasty (although the Optimal Nutrition (?) Double Chocolate wasn't bad).  The unjury website has 6-packet sample/travel packs available so you can try them first (although the individual packets are more expensive than the canisters). I also agree with one of the previous replies as far as the vitamins... the Bariatric Advantage vitamins are MUCH more expensive than buying the same things from the Vitamin Shoppe (online) or Walgreens or whatever.  (Some of their other products that are available elsewhere are also more pricey than the other sources.) Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chance
on 2/12/08 5:41 am
The only thing I've been happy with is GNC Pro Performance unflavored whey protein. It mixes clean and has little to no flavor and odor.
Pre Surgery Weight 272
Goal 150
Current Weight 135
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 217 views