Monique H.’s Posts

Monique H.
on 4/12/12 4:07 am
Topic: RE: Revision from RNY to DS, best and worst experiences?
Just a drop didn't work for me. The funny thing is that I usually don't care at work in the restroom. I just try to move really quick to where nobody knows it's me :)
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Monique H.
on 4/12/12 2:46 am
Topic: RE: Revision RNY to RNY
I would find another surgeon. I was told no at first too and ended up having the revision that they wanted me to have. I only lost 36 more pounds and ended up with hypoglycemic episodes. I then went back and fought for the DS which is what I should have done at first. I won :)
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Monique H.
on 4/12/12 2:36 am
Topic: RE: My doc said revision doesn't work!
I'm just copying part of what I posted to someone else on another thread. According to the Independent Medical Review that I had done when fighting for a revision to the DS they said that having a revision to something similiar to the original surgery should not be done and basically wouldn't work. That being said I revised to DS and it worked.  I had rny and stopped losing weight after 6 months. After working with my surgeon he decided to revise me to a distal rny. I only lost 36 more pounds but ended up with reactive hypoglycemia. Fought insurance and won in order to be revised to ds. It wasn't an easy thing and I actually thought my weight loss was over once I reached 173 pounds. I was ok with this because I figured once I had plastics I would be able to reach 165 which was my goal that I decided I would be okay with once I saw that I wasn't losing the way that I thought I would be. Well I had plastics and removed 6.5 pounds which took me to 166.5 but for some reason I started losing weight again. As of this morning I weigh 132 pounds and I'm 5'5.5!
Monique H.
on 4/12/12 2:21 am
Topic: RE: Revision to help re-active hypoglycemia?
I was revised to DS in October 2010, and have not had one single episode since then.
Monique H.
on 4/12/12 2:18 am
Topic: RE: Revision to help re-active hypoglycemia?
I just wanted to say that I didn't have to have all of the tests done that you said in here. I simply took pictures of all of my meter readings and submitted them with the paperwork that I submitted to the Department of Managed Healthcare when I was fighting the insurance so everyone is different. I'm really glad that I didn't have to go through all of that :)
Monique H.
on 4/12/12 2:03 am
Topic: RE: Revision from RNY to DS, best and worst experiences?
I'm not sure what all you want to know. I had rny and stopped losing weight after 6 months. After working with my surgeon he decided  to revise me to a distal rny. I only lost 36 more pounds but ended up with reactive hypoglycemia. Fought insurance and won in order to be revised to ds. It wasn't an easy thing and I actually thought my weight loss was over once I reached 173 pounds. I was ok with this because I figured once I had plastics I would be able to reach 165 which was my goal that I decided I would be okay with once I saw that I wasn't losing the way that I thought I would be. Well I had plastics and removed 6.5 pounds which took me to 166.5 but for some reason I started losing weight again. As of this morning I weigh 132 pounds and I'm 5'5.5! Do I absolutely hate the way my gas and bms smell? Definitely! Have I had a couple of accidents with diarrhea? Yep. Would I have the DS again in a heartbeat? You bet! Absolutely positively yes!
Monique H.
on 3/7/12 11:10 am
Topic: RE: Who is the top US surgeon for RNY to DS revision?

Since I'm two pounds below what I thought would have been my ideal weight of 145 I'm going to have to say Rabkin. I never thought that I would make it to 145 and had changed my goal to 165, but today I sit at 143. I would definitely look at the results that people have after having the revision to DS. Please know that it isn't an easy route so make the best possible choice for you.

Monique H.
on 9/14/11 7:23 am
Topic: RE: Revision needed from RNY to DS
Yep it's possible. I'm a rny to distal rny to ds patient. The ds by far has given me the best results.
Monique H.
on 9/14/11 7:17 am
Topic: RE: RNY Revision
I seem to be pasting this for a lot of people lately. Here is what was said in my decision from an independent medical review when fighting for a revision to the duodenal switch.

A 37-year-old female enrollee has requested bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) for treatment of her obesity.  Findings:  The physician reviewer found that the medical literature supports the opinion that the performance of a revisional procedure similar to the initial operation will fail in many instances, because the basic problem is metabolic and not mechanical. Rapid gastric emptying, as seen in this patient's case, leads to an enhanced insulin response resulting in either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemic episodes, and the most dramatic rises and falls have been associated with small pouches and wide anastomoses. Duodenal switch is a medically appropriate solution to the problem. If this procedure is not performed, the patient's comorbididites will likely worsen. Thus, bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) is medically indicated for this patient.

I don't know how much they expect you to lose from a smaller stomach, but I would be looking into all of my revision options and not just making my pouch smaller.
Monique H.
on 9/7/11 8:23 am
Topic: RE: RNY to Distal Gastric Bypass (not as happy)

Suzanne I had a different experience and it wasn't good with the distal rny. My doctor told me the weight would just melt off of me. Umm NOT! I ate 800-1000 calories a day and exercised 1.5-2 hours a day 4-6 days a week and still only lost 36 pounds. I know I have a really messed up metabolism, but I should have had better results than that. I ended up going back and having to fight with insurance to get a revision to DS. The weight hasn't just melted off of me with this surgery either but it has at least gotten me almost to my first goal of 165. I'm shooting for 145 I think.  Anyway I had to have an Independent Medical Review (IMR) done when fighting the insurance and this is what they came back with.

A 37-year-old female enrollee has requested bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) for treatment of her obesity.  Findings:  The physician reviewer found that the medical literature supports the opinion that the performance of a revisional procedure similar to the initial operation will fail in many instances, because the basic problem is metabolic and not mechanical. Rapid gastric emptying, as seen in this patient's case, leads to an enhanced insulin response resulting in either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemic episodes, and the most dramatic rises and falls have been associated with small pouches and wide anastomoses. Duodenal switch is a medically appropriate solution to the problem. If this procedure is not performed, the patient's comorbididites will likely worsen. Thus, bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) is medically indicated for this patient.

PLEASE PLEASE FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU WANT!!!!!  If you don't you might end up like me, fighting for it anyway.

Monique H.
on 9/1/11 6:08 am
Topic: RE: Revision Approval
Please don't be mad at me for posting this. I just wanted to make sure you have looked into every option. I had a revision of my rny to a distal rny and only lost 36 pounds (and I was working out 1.5-2 hours a day  4-6 days a week) so I feel obligated at times to share what was written in my Independent Medical Review when I had to fight for my revision to DS. This may not be the case for you, but I just wanted to make sure you know what has happened to me.

Monique H.
on 3/18/11 6:47 am, edited 3/18/11 6:48 am
Topic: RE: HELP???
I must be honest with you and so I am posting the wording from my Independent Medical Review (IMR) which was done when I was fighting for my revision to the duodenal switch. I can't say that I'm not panicking about whether or not I'm going to lose the weight with the duodenal switch, but I do know that I've lost better than with my FIRST REVISION. Feel free to check out my profile. I'm also posting the link to my IMR below.

A 37-year-old female enrollee has requested bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) for treatment of her obesity. Findings: The physician reviewer found that the medical literature supports the opinion that the performance of a revisional procedure similar to the initial operation will fail in many instances, because the basic problem is metabolic and not mechanical. Rapid gastric emptying, as seen in this patient's case, leads to an enhanced insulin response resulting in either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemic episodes, and the most dramatic rises and falls have been associated with small pouches and wide anastomoses. Duodenal switch is a medically appropriate solution to the problem. If this procedure is not performed, the patient's comorbididites will likely worsen. Thus, bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) is medically indicated for this patient.

http://wp.dmhc.ca.gov/imr/detail.asp?id=11477&optFor mat=html&cboDetermination=Overturned+Decision+of+Health+ Plan&cboMC=0&cboTreatment2=0&cboDiagnosis2=0& ;cboDT=0&cboType=Medical+Necessity&txtDetails=duoden al+switch
Monique H.
on 3/18/11 6:03 am
Topic: RE: 3yrs later. . .145 (RNY to DS conversion)
Thanks Sharon for the encouragement and I do panic because BOTH surgeries that I had have in some way failed. I'm not the 395 pounds I used to be for which I am thankful, but I don't want to be fat (literally) all of my life (since birth). You truly give me hope that I can make it.  Thanks again.
Monique H.
on 3/16/11 7:16 am
Topic: RE: 3yrs later. . .145 (RNY to DS conversion)
Sharon I must say that I've been worried if this revision is really going to work for me.  I seem to be stuck at 202.  While it is the lowest I've been, having had a revision to a distal rny before, I'm still worried. Hopefully I will be as successful as you are. I worried so much that I changed my goal from 145 to 165 thinking if I can just lose that much... Anyway thanks for sharing.
Monique H.
on 1/11/11 1:34 pm
Topic: RE: I'm so embarrassed...
I'm on my second revision. I hope I got it right this time. Feel free to check out my info.
Monique H.
on 1/11/11 1:30 pm
Topic: RE: Which Revision will work the best for me
There is information you can read at dsfacts.com as well as the ds forum. Check out my profile too so you can see out my experiences with revisions. i was revised to ds Oct 15th and have lost 37 pounds. I do trip off of the scale and always feel like this isn't going to work for me, but so far the ds is proving me wrong.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide!
Monique H.
on 12/31/10 3:13 am
Topic: RE: Urg.....Decisions and Confusions
I just wanted to say that I settled for my first revision and where did that leave me? Fighting for another one less than two years later.
Monique H.
on 12/31/10 3:07 am
Topic: RE: Need advice on getting a DS revision to my RNY
Debbie you really are my hero and I hope to be just like you when I grow up:)
Monique H.
on 12/31/10 3:06 am
Topic: RE: Need advice on getting a DS revision to my RNY
I had my revision from rny to ds by Dr Rabkin in October. If you're looking for a surgeon in CA, as others have said Dr Keshishian and Dr Rabkin are the two that are skilled in doing it.
Monique H.
on 12/19/10 1:01 pm
Topic: RE: Is my surgeon afraid of the term ERNY?
It sounds like a distal rny and if you have a lot of weight to lose i would not go this route. If you read the indepedent medical review on my profile it says that for a failed weight loss surgery, doing something similar to the first usually doesn't work because the failure is usually because of metabollic problems and not compliance.

It isn't in those exact words but if you go and read it you'll see what I'm talking about. I know your revision is soon, but if you do have a lot to lose I would definitely postpone it and do some more research before having a revision. You don't want to end up like me and have to have a revision to your revision.
Monique H.
on 12/15/10 1:45 pm
Topic: RE: does anyone know how long their revision surgery was?

Keep in mind that I've had so many abdominal surgeries in my life that I no longer have a belly button. I also had lots of scar tissue and adhesions.
Rny revised to distal rny - 8 hours (Dr Upahdyay, forgot how to spell it)
distal rny revised to ds and gallbladder removal - 11 hours (Dr Rabkin)

Monique H.
on 12/14/10 5:55 am
Topic: RE: RNY to DS!!
I'm curious if you've stopped losing weight? If so when did you stop? Were you compliant with postop diet and exercise? Is your pouch or stoma stretched? Are you having any type of complications? I ask all of this because this is things that are looked at before you're able to get a revision. When I first had rny no matter what I did I stopped losing after 6 months. My surgeon followed me and what I was doing and was willing to do revision in 18 months. Hope this helps.
Monique H.
on 12/14/10 5:45 am
Topic: RE: ru-n-y to a distal ru-n-y
Randy you are so welcome. Sometimes I wonder if that is the reason I went through two revisions, so that I could help someone else. I do know that it is a real struggle as far as the head games that I deal with. After having two procedures not work for me and I'm still not sure the DS is going to work for me. I worry everyday, but I do know that with the documented results that if it doesn't work for me nothing will. I'm just destined to be fat. 
Good luck to you though.
Monique H.
on 12/13/10 5:46 am
Topic: RE: ru-n-y to a distal ru-n-y
Whenever I see someone going from RNY to Distal RNY I post the Idependent Medical Review decision that was made in my case. Please keep in mind that I'm referring to Distal RNY and not Extended Rny. Extended Rny seems to be a bit more drastic and people have been having a lot of issues with it. Distal RNY which is what I had is really close to RNY. It is what they are referring to in their decision below:

A 37-year-old female enrollee has requested bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) for treatment of her obesity. Findings: The physician reviewer found that the medical literature supports the opinion that the performance of a revisional procedure similar to the initial operation will fail in many instances, because the basic problem is metabolic and not mechanical. Rapid gastric emptying, as seen in this patient’s case, leads to an enhanced insulin response resulting in either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemic episodes, and the most dramatic rises and falls have been associated with small pouches and wide anastomoses. Duodenal switch is a medically appropriate solution to the problem. If this procedure is not performed, the patient’s comorbidities will likely worsen. Thus, bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) is medically indicated for this patient.

I had my surgery revised to distal rny. I went from 272 to 218 (for a couple of days) then back up to 236. I worked out a lot and ate the same things everyday to make sure I wasn't eating what I wasn't supposed to. In the end the surgeon basically said that I have not metabolism and if he could keep me at the weight I was he considered me a success. That sure is funny because I felt like a complete failure. Since I didn't have the revision I originally wanted and just accepted what my surgeon wanted to do I basically lost out on time. I should have just fought for revision to ds in the beginning and I would probably be at goal right now. That is not saying that the ds will definitely work for me, because I won't know that until it HAS  worked for me. I'm just saying that the ds has the best documented results for people. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Monique H.
on 12/13/10 5:33 am
Topic: RE: Revision to my WLS
If I were you I'd talk to JRinAZ (I think that is how she has it) and seekinghealthy (may be two words) If I'm not mistaken they both had to be revised to DS after having an ERNY due to serious issues. Until I actually see the results of my DS I won't recommend anything to anyone, but I do try to make sure that the people I come across know that they have more options. I do know that my stoma was wide too and that is a big reason I revised to the ds. Because it was wide my food was going into my intestines which caused my blood sugar levels to shoot up and then they would drop really low really fast. All I can say is hypoglycemia is no joke. Since my revision I haven't had an episode yet which is great AND the weight is slowly but surely coming off. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Monique
Most Active