Dr.Schlesinger’s Posts

Dr.Schlesinger
on 7/31/08 8:30 am
Topic: RE: The ABC's of Revision A to Z
Kim,
The delayed gastric emptying is not problematic. The achalasia may be of greater concern. Without further information, I cannot offer any real insights. Your's is not a simple problem. None the less, there are options.
Eric schlesinger, MD, FACS
Dr.Schlesinger
on 7/8/08 12:21 am
Kim, I would assume that your surgeon is planning a "classic" Rny, either proximal or distal, and not an ERny. In general, I think that a distal is a better option for most people. That however is a decision for you and your surgeon who knows you better and has all the information. If the polyps are benign and also not adenomatous, then I wouldn't worry about the distal remnant. Once again, this is decision best made by you and your surgeon who has a complete picture. I am delighted that you have made so much progress in your quest for a revision and that your surgeon is working with you to achieve your goals! GOOD LUCK! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Dr.Schlesinger
on 6/26/08 11:47 am
Kim,
Reversal is NOT your only option. I would need more information and more studies before I could venture any definite opinion.
What's going on in the rest of your stomach?
You need a gastric emptying study. In order to study the lower portion of your stomach, a tube, placed through your nose under X-Ray guidance, could be used to put the "tracer" in the lower part of the stomach.
You could possibly be a candidate for a DS or an ERny with a generous pouch and/or a large stoma. You owe it to yourself to have a thorough work-up before deciding how you want to proceed.

NEVER GIVE UP!

Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Dr.Schlesinger
on 6/26/08 11:32 am
Deanne,
The hypoglycemia that you and others experience is the result of an overactive pancreas. It is continuing to churn out large amounts of insulin. When you were larger, your body was unable to react to insulin in a normal fashion. You needed very high insulin levels for your body to respond to the insulin and drive the glucose into your cells. As you get smaller, your body responds to lower levels of insulin. Unfortunately, your pancreas is slow in recognizing this. Most individuals will eventually have their pancreas "slow down". A few unfortunate souls will continue to be plagued by this problem for extended periods of time.
So, what can you do about it. The single most important thing you can do to minimize these wild swings in your blood sugar is to avoid high glycemic index carbohydrates. These type of carbs stimulate your pancreas to release a "ton" of insulin, which results in your blood sugar "bottoming out." Remember your "Golden Ratio", three bites of a high quality protein to every bite of low glycemic index carbohydrate. When your sugar gets low, correct it with low glycemic carbs, like an apple or pear. It will take longer to get your blood sugar up than hard candy or fruit juice, but it will mute the rebound hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
The ERny may for a time accentuate the hypoglycemia. As you lose more weight and your body may become even more responsive to insulin. Just remember to eat some apple, pear, or other low glycemic index carbohydrate.
I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Schlesinger
on 6/23/08 11:52 pm
Alyssa,
Although band complications are not common, the problem that you experienced is not uncommon among "Banders" with problems. The cause of your inability to tolerate solid foods with no obvious problem with the band is not well understood. As we see more patients like you, it has become clear that replacing or repositioning the band is not the answer. All too often, replacing the band will either be ineffective in remedying the problem or prove to be ineffective as a weight loss tool.
For others who may read this, please read carefully. Band problems are uncommon. My comments are specifically directed to the situation in which no mechanical problem with the band can be easily and clearly identified. "Subtle slippage" should be considered a suspect diagnosis.
Finally, I have every reason to believe that you will succeed with a Rny. Given that your BMI is greater than 50, you owe it to yourself to consider an ERny.

GOOD LUCK!
RECLAIM THE SUCCESS YOU DESERVE!

Dr.Schlesinger
on 5/16/08 4:43 am
Dawn,
Although I do not have a comprehensive picture of your intestinal anatomy, it appears that you effectively have an ERny. Your inabilty to gain weight is NOT your fault. Based on the information available, it would appear that you need to have the malabsorptive component of your surgery reduced, i.e. your common channel requires lengthening. This should be done ASAP if your nutritional status will safely allow the operative procedure. The best way for you to address your nutritional status is with an elemental diet. This is a special type of liquid diet that is most easily absorbed by your body. It is not the most tasty or appealing of drinks but as a way to gain some weight, it's your best bet.
I believe that your current condition requires urgent treatment. In other words, you don't need to head to the Emergency Room, but definitive treatment should be initiated SOON.
GOOD LUCK!

AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 5/11/08 9:25 am
Topic: RE: Enlarged Stoma - Related to EGD?
Dawn,
I believe that I can help you claim the success that you deserve. I look forward to seeing you soon!
AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 5/11/08 3:58 am
Topic: RE: Enlarged Stoma - Related to EGD?
Kim,
In all likelihood, the polyps were an inflammatory reaction, possibly from healed marginal ulcers or perhaps from the suture material used to create your stoma. While biopsying them was medically necessary to exclude serious conditions, removing them (based on your symptoms thereafter) significantly enlarged your stoma thereby markedly reducing your restriction.
What next? This depends in no small way on your current anatomy and the details of your Rny. A thorough evaluation by a WLS with extensive experience in revisions will determine your options.
GOOD LUCK!
AZ Weight Loss Solutions

Dr.Schlesinger
on 5/1/08 12:53 am
Zurbib, I believe that your surgeon is talking about an ERny. It would be best to ask. If the explanation is inadequate or confusing, ask that your surgeon draw pictures of your current operation and the changes that will be made. Depending on the length of the common conduit, much more than a 30 lbs weight loss can be achieved. CLAIM THE SUCCESS YOU DESERVE! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/27/08 11:57 pm
Topic: RE: Dr SCHLESINGER .... WHERE ARE YOU ??
There are surgeons who would consider or attempt such a revision. I would advise against a laparoscopic revision. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/24/08 12:58 am
Topic: RE: Dr SCHLESINGER .... WHERE ARE YOU ??
A hernia repair with mesh does NOT disqualify you from having a revision or any other operation. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/22/08 11:19 am
Hanna, The most important objective is to get you healthy. Lengthening your common channel would clearly improve your absorption. The question is: How much is enough? Unfortunately this question is impossible to answer. Your case is very complex and I cannot provide a simple answer. Based on what you have shared, I would give strong consideration revision to some form of a Rny. It would alleviate the acid component of your reflux. An upper GI that carefully measured the transit time of the contrast through your small intestine might provide some insight as to what kind of Rny would give you the best result (balancing correction of your defeciencies against weight regain). If you wanted to "play it safe" a very proximal Rny would offer you the greatest correction of your malabsorption. In all likelihood you would still require vitamin B12 replacement. It has the potential to improve your other vitamin, iron and calcium absorption as well. It should reduce the diarrhea, gas, odor, and bloating. Do not overlook the fact that with a Rny you would be at risk to "dump." Fastidious monitoring and follow-up would obviously still be required. If your malabsorption is well corrected, but you gain too much weight, by-passing more intestine at a later date could be considered. Please discuss these options thoroughly with your surgeon. NEVER GIVE UP! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/22/08 2:54 am
Hanna, I am very disturbed by the severity of your reflux. Have you been hospitalized for respiratory problems? Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/21/08 10:29 am
Hanna, Are they planning to undo the switch portion of your DS? If your intestine is restored to its original state, you will likely have a significant weight regain. Giving you a small pouch will help off-set some of the regain, in part because there will still be some intestine by-passed. In order to make any kind of prediction, the exact nature of your revision is required. The planning of your revision is vital and something you must discuss thoroughly with your surgeon. How drastic a reversal you will have will depend on a number of factors. How severe are your vitamin and mineral deficiencies? Are you also suffering from protein malnutrition? Make certain that you understand precisely what operation is planned and why. It sounds like your surgeon has a lot of things to explain before you proceed. GOOD LUCK! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/21/08 4:32 am
Monique, Clearly your surgeon either isn't listening to you or does not perform highly malabsorptive procedures. Regardless, getting BCBS to pay for your revision at this time will be a difficult task. Before doing anything else, talk to a supervisor at BCBS and find out their criteria for revisions. Armed with this information, you can focus your efforts to gain prior authorization. NEVER GIVE UP! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/21/08 3:24 am
Hanna, In order to answer your questions in a public forum, I will make several assumptions. First, I will assume that you had an aggressive DS with a "common conduit" of approximately 50 cm. in length. Second assumption; you and your surgeon have been working together diligiently to correct your vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The two of you have at least discussed parenteral replacement (shots, IV's, etc.). Thirdly, that you have received extensive nutritional counseling and are stictly limiting your intake of carbs, avoiding fats, eating small meals so as not to "overwhelm" your system, etc. Lengthening your common channel will help improve your absorption of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. In so doing it will reduce your bloating, gas, and malodorous stools. It will NOT resolve these issues. You will still need to be vigorously compliant with your nutrtional program and fastidious about taking your supplements. The "sleeve" portion of your DS provides very little in the way of effective restriction. Just as pouches dilate, so too can sleeves. Any significant restriction requires a stomach component whose volume does not exceed 1 fluid ounce. It is impossible to predict how much of a weight regain you will experience. Much will depend on the exact nature of your revision. If your common channel is 100 cm or less in length, you will still have a highly malabsorptive tool. Your skin will adapt to the increase in weight. Appropriate skin care can diminish the risk of stretch marks. Let's think positively. If all goes well then no further WLS will be necessary. If you should require additional help, your DS can be revised to any ERny, thereby adding a significant restrictive component to your tool. GOOD LUCK! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/18/08 2:45 pm
Shiela, This is another procedure which I perform.Using techniques and technology similar to Stomaphyx, it creates a valve to stop GERD. To date, it has not been used to treat GERD in DS patients. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/18/08 9:10 am
Babs, Good luck with your revision! Clearly patients like yourself who suffered multiple problems with their Lap-Band would not be good candidates for another band. By my definition, regardless of how much weight was lost, someone with all of these medical problems is not successful. Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say "if you had done well with your band..." Thank you for helping to clarify this point.  Clearly there are people who are not well suited to undergo an adjustable gastric restrictive procedure. Those who suffer from esophageal dysmotility (the muscles of the food pipe do not function properly) are poor candidates for a Lap-Band. The incidence of esophageal motility problems is higher in individuals with Lower Esophageal Sphincter disorders. None the less, the vast majority of people being treated for GERD do not have an esophageal motility problem other than the weakened sphincter. It is an art to match each patient to the weight loss procedure that is best for him or her. This is just one more reason why selecting the "right" surgeon is so important.  Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions 
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/18/08 6:45 am
Poinciana, NOS is the acronym for Natural Oriface Surgery. In the case of Stomaphyx, ROSE, ReSTORE, & EROS, these are procedures to "tighten" the pouch/stoma with the use of a gastroscope and the appropriate instrument "over" the scope. ERny stands for Extended Roux-en Y, the highly malabsorptive variant of the by-pass operation. Like all NOS revisions, Stomaphyx is new. My experience has been that patients can achieve a 40 to 50 lbs weight loss.  Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZWeight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/17/08 7:52 am
Nanette, Congratulations on your weight loss with ReSTORE!  If, after the upper GI, your surgeon recommended the Stomaphyx procedure, this would lead me to believe that  your pouch, stoma, or both still appear dilated. No NOS (Stomaphyx, ReSTORE, ROSE, EROS) is as yet covered by insurance.  All things are possible, but a 120 lbs. weight loss from NOS is more than anyone has reported. As far as your other options are concerned, either a "Band Over" procedure or an ERny should be discussed with your surgeon. You have been given mixed messages regarding your new degree of restriction. Your weight loss says something must be working after ReSTORE. Your surgeon's recommendation of Stomaphyx says that more restriction could be beneficial. If your most recent malabsorptive panel is good, a highly malabsorptive procedure (ERny) deserves serious consideration. Don't rush into anything. Before having any further surgery, wait. Let's find out how successful you will be with the ReSTORE procedure. CLAIM THE SUCCESS YOU DESERVE! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/17/08 7:23 am
Erica, Based on the information that you have provided, I believe that you would potentially be an excellent candidate for a revision.  I am delighted that you have sought the follow up you need and deserve. It is vital. Before considering any revision, the results of your malabsorptive panel are required. Although, I would need more information, simply based on your size and previous surgery, an ERny, the highly malabsorptive one, deserves very serious consideration. NEVER GIVE UP! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/17/08 7:15 am

Kathi, Based on the information that you have provided, you would have all WLS options available to you. The decision as to which procedure would best enable you to meet your goals and desires is one that should be made by you and your surgeon. I do not have sufficient information to be able to give you a specific recommendation, but a highly malabsorptive priocedure deserves serious consideration.  All pouches should be constructed as "right sided". These pouches are less susceptible to dilitation (stretching) and are also more ammenable to NOS should "tightening" ever be indicated. GOOD LUCK! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions 

Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/15/08 7:36 am
Monique,         Based on the information that you have provided, I would consider you potentially a good candidate for a revision.          Should your insurance cover a revision? Absolutely! Will they? Quite possibly not. Much depends on the details of your policy. The best way to find out is to call your insurance company and ask. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/14/08 11:49 pm
Ms. Cin,
The basic principles of wound healing indicate that the pleats or flaps should be healed in 4 to 6 weeks. When I complete a Stomaphyx procedure, there is no space in between the pleats or the rows of pleats for food to "get caught." None of my patients has ever had a problem with food being retained in between the pleats.

AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Dr.Schlesinger
on 4/14/08 12:10 pm
Eileen,
The most important question is: "Are you prepared to make a total commitment this time?" If the answer is no, then do NOT have any revision WLS.
We all make mistakes. Have you learned from yours? If you have then all options are open to you. The past is only significant if you have not taken the steps to avoid repeating it.
VBG's fail for a variety of reasons including; staple line disruption, stretched pouch, esophageal dilatation from over eating the restriction, as well as poor dietary choices. If you were having trouble with "good foods" like steak or rice then you never received the counseling that you needed. In a purely restrictive procedure, these types of food should NOT be tolerated. As in the Lap-Band, things that "wad up" or cannot be chewed into small pieces (the size of the red eraser on a yellow pencil) will not pass through your stoma.
I tell all of my patients that we look forward. If you are truly committed to doing the right things and choose a program that will help you sustain this behavior, then I would consider you a good candidate for a revision.
Be honest with yourself. If you are considering a highly malabsorptive procedure and then plan to do as you please; you are asking for a world of trouble.
Follow the program and success will be yours. You will know when you are ready to proceed.

AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Most Active