How did you know you needed a revision?

Rachinnj
on 4/18/06 12:27 am - Brick, NJ
Hello What were the symptoms that you needed a revision? I am 2 1/2 years out and I can eat like i did before surgery. I get heart burn a lot and i could easily gain weight if i did no****ch..
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/06 2:46 am - Plano, TX
I knew something was wrong when I could eat more than four ounces without hurting. I went to my doctor and he confirmed it by doing an upper GI (I had to drink the barium while they x-rayed me). It was obvious that the stuff was going through the staple line. Even I could see it. I would go see your surgeon. Let him/her do some tests to confirm. FYI, my surgery was a SRVG (like the VBG, but they use a different type of ring).
mmercier
on 4/18/06 3:20 am - Waterfor, MI
Hi Rachel, Make an appointment with Dr. Schlacter in Neptune, NJ (he's a gastroenterologist). When I lived out there, I went to him to run tests and see what my issue was. He found that the anastomosis (opening between the pouch and small intestine) was wide open. He's a great doctor with wonderful bedside manner! (hard to find in that area!) Even harder to find though, is a doctor to fix the problem out there. I waited till I moved back to Michigan and found a great surgeon to do a revision. Best of luck to you!
Rachinnj
on 4/18/06 3:34 am - Brick, NJ
Hi Marsha HOw did you know something was wrong? What was your symptoms? I am going to see my surgeon but maybe i shouold be seeing Dr. Schlacter instead. Rachel
mmercier
on 4/18/06 4:16 am - Waterfor, MI
I had started to gain the weight back and was able to eat as much as I wanted, never feeling full and always hungry. The first few doctors I saw, told me that it was imposible. Dr. Schlacter listened to me, ran an upper GI series and an Endoscopy and found that I was right! The opening between the pouch and the small intestine, should be around 11 millimeters in size, mine was over 30 millimeters. So basically, when I ate, the food immediately fell out of the stomach into the small intestine. He tried a couple procedures called Scleratherapy to try and create scar tissue at the opening to close it down, but it didnt work for me. I've since had the revision, but still am able to eat more than I wish. I'm wondering if I just have a very elastic stomach If you go to him, you can mention me. I'm sure he would remember the case. I hope this helps. By the way, my original procedure was RNY Gastric Bypass. Good Luck!
Most Active