HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A REVISION FROM VBG TO LAP BAND????

Elaine-SugarLand
on 4/13/06 4:47 am - Sugar Land, TX
Hi my name is Elaine Danfield, and I`m normally on the texas message board. I had a VBG September 2003 and lost 110 lbs. About a year ago I started having vomiting, on a daily basis, and reflux all night long. I went to a gastroenterologist about a month ago and he said I definently need a revision, because my VBG was done wrong or has gone wrong. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday, the insurance company has recomended, and my pcp has also recommended, but when I made the appointment, I was told he does lap band surgery, and made the appointment for me. Has anybody heard a revision to lap band? I don`t need to lose any weight, but I fear gaining weight, if I just get a reversal of the VBG, only. If anybody has any information, I would greatly appreciate any information, you could give me. Thanks in advance, Love, Elaine -110 222/112
RobinH
on 4/13/06 11:46 am - Mustang, OK
I am a revision from a VBG and I asked about the Lap Band but the doctor that I talked to would not do a lap band on a VBG. However, that is not to say that your doctor won't. The Lap band will restict intake and I also have severe GERD and I would think that the band would make it worse. Also, my staple line came apart and all I know is that I have gained back all my weight. Some people can keep it off once it is gone. I couldn't!!! I wish you the best of luck!!!
Ms Janet
on 4/14/06 1:08 am - Star City, NE
Not sure I can really answer your question, but I had VBG in 1992. Unfortunately, I did not have followup care nor support and I had problems. Due to a bleeding ulcer, my band was removed through numerous endoscopies as it worked through the pouch. I did lose some weight, but have gained most of it back through the years. I have an appointment with a surgeon in a couple of weeks. I would like the lap band - I like the idea that it is adjustable. I have a pouch - just no band, so I'm thinking putting in the adjustable band would be great. Of course, I haven't visited with the surgeon yet . . . Good luck! Janet
Tonia Loveslife
on 4/15/06 11:50 am - Port Neches, TX
I have the lap band and I started to have reflux about six months out. I've had the band for over two years and had to have it repaired due to slippage once already. I'm going to have a revison to a rny next month. I have friends that have the lap band and have reflux also. The reflux is really bad for me. It is not something I can live with. I can't sleep at night because it is so bad. You might want to talk to your doctor about this being a problem. I hope you can find a solution I know how bad the reflux is. Take Care, T
Jackie P.
on 5/2/06 11:36 pm - College Station, TX
Hello Elaine!!! Fancy seeing you here Sorry you're having troubles. I didn't have the VBG prior to my revision. I had a non-adjustable gastric band, but the symptoms between the two are very similar. Elaine, just be sure that whichever surgeon/surgery you choose... that you get a surgeon that is experienced in revisions. I'm not sure about Dr. Naaman in Houston, but I do know that Dr. Babineau in Tyler, Dr. Rodriguez (I think he's in the Dallas area) and the surgeons of New Dimensions WLS in San Antonio have lots of experience in revisions. You are such a blessing to all of us! Take care of yourself and keep me posted! Jackie
Most Active