Had RYN 2003 need revsion-Doc wants to do a band and reducing instines to 3 feet

Dreddy
on 4/12/06 11:53 am - Holland, mi
I Had RYN 2003 need revsion due to having a baby 8 months ago-gained all back but 30 pounds and gaining. I did not have great follow up care since I moved out of state. I was suggested to do a band and reducing instines to 3 feet. Has anyone heard of this and does this work-the most important thing is reducing for instines to 3 feet dangerious? I
mmercier
on 4/18/06 5:07 am - Waterfor, MI
Never heard of reducing the intestines to 3 feet! sounds a bit dangerous to me. If I were you, I would really do some research before going that extreme! With a 8 month old baby, you want to be around long enough to see your grandchildren!! good luck to you
STACEYG
on 5/29/06 3:28 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Delaina, I also had the RNY but back in 1985. My new doc found that my stoma was huge(back in the 80's they tell you to eat lots of carbs,no restriction on carbonated beverages)....since that is how I ate I stretched the stoma..not the pouch. Since you already have a bypassed portion with the RNy..not sure why they would want to do addl. bypassing. My doc chose the lap band around the stoma..so far have lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks and feel great. There is so much more support and info out here now than when I had surgery. So many resources. Be sure to check all your options. One mistake I did make was using a doctor to do my endoscopy that was not familiar with WLS patients...he basically was not sure what he saw. Try and find a doc that also works closely with a gastroenterologist so they have a clear picture before they go in. The best part was my doc did everything laparoscopically. 6 tiny 1/2 inc incisions...great recovery time. Good luck
Dreddy
on 6/3/06 5:44 am - Holland, mi
Hi Stacey, Well....I had my revision May 30th-now 4 days out and feel great much better receover then the open RYN in 2003. Turns out my pouch was non functioning and everyhting was pouring through causing me to eat and never get full and kept eating to chase away the fainting and shakes from low blood sugar. I had a lapband done this time laparoscopically and it seems like I hold 2 ounces and I measure exactly. I have lost 14 pounds in 4 days (started out at 320 and now 306) but I know it will slow down soon. Do you know how far out we have to be to get on a treadmill? Good Luck to you and Congrats!!!!!!
Most Active