LapBand to RNY-What's the difference when eating?

kbelton
on 2/20/06 8:20 am - Los Gatos, CA
I had the lap band procedure about 1 year ago and due to a lot of work (torture) on my part I was able to lose almost 40lbs until my dr realized that my esophagus above the band had stretched. My Dr immediately unfilled the band and within a month I had gained back most of my weight. My biggest grudge with the lap band is that it did not at all restrict my eating unless it was super tight. Because of this I often experienced heartburn and could only eat certain foods (bad foods). Also, the band makes me eat very slow and chew my food really well, but it does not restrict the amount of food I can eat. I am thinking about having a revision to RNY, but I am very scared that I will experience similar complications/issues with eating - i.e. not feeling full after a small amount of food and eating the wrong foods because they are the only things you can get down without pain. At this point I would love to hear from someone who has had a revision from the LapBand to RNY. I am wondering what the differences are between RNY and the Lap Band in terms of eating. Do you feel each bite go from the stomach into the intestines the same way you feel it slip past the band? When you fill up the stomach do you actually feel full and for how long? Are there certain foods that are easier to eat? Do you ever feel pain from eating? Thanks for your feedback! Kirsten
Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/23/06 1:13 pm - Tuvalu
Kirsten, I had a band-to-DS revision three months ago and couldn't be happier. Check out my guy http://dssurgery.com/ and also the Rabkins in San Francisco. Sue
spykitty
on 2/23/06 5:18 pm
I am wondering the same stuff! Because if the rny is like this I think I wont consider it. I dont like how the band makes you pb, might as well say vomit. I also dont feel full unless I eat pre op portions. If I get a fill then its all vomiting there never was a good fill level. I mean what does that teach? Bulimia? That doesnt seem right to trade one ed for another. I lost 65, now I am the same weight as before. Its been tough on me to have this band and it has slipped so I also wonder if rny is just like the restrictive portion on lapband. If so nevermind! I wouldnt be intrested in that.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/26/06 2:44 am - Tuvalu
Immediately post-op, the capacity of an RnY stomach is 1-2 ounces. (Two crumbled saltine crackers.) A DS stomach is 4-6 ounces, sometimes more. Sue
star .
on 2/27/06 11:58 pm - OK
If you are going to another wls; I would consider the dS first; before the RNY. The RNY can have stoma issues; and if that happens you can be in the same pickle you are now. The lapband and RNY are the same in the sense you can eat wrong things; like choclate (but most not all - and it can decrease as the years go dump ) so you can't guarantee that will happen if it does it will deter you at least at the beginning from eating those foods. Actually you shouldnt have been able toi feel your food slip thru the band - and no you cant tell when food goes from your pouch into the intestines You fill full only if your stoma is working; and that a risk you would take getting the RNY if your stoma doesnt work you'll be like the band without a fill with NO fix. You can feel some pain; espeically at the beginning if you eat something that doesnt agree with you like meats - kinda like the band that said I have both the rny and band; and I wouldnt recommend either of them. check out the DS
nursenanny
on 3/4/06 5:07 am - Tiffin, Oh
I had the lap band and had all the issues that you did.. it slipped, so sick for a year. I had it taken out and the RNY done. The difference is: RNY I dont feel hunger, I have to remind myself to eat, I can only eat small amounts, the pouch does not like when you eat to much. I dont not have the feeling of food going through the band, you cant feel anything unless you eat something too big and it gets stuck. I feel great with the RNY. Down 35 lbs in 7 week. Its a huge difference. email me if you have any other questions. [email protected]
Most Active