VBG==>RNY on Jan 27th: Any advice?

sasmith
on 1/17/06 4:56 pm - Lemoore, CA
Well, the surgery date is getting closer and I am getting nervous. Dr. Higa does his revisions laprascopically and is a very good surgeon. Any of you revision veterans have any pre- or post-op advice they could share to make this whole thing a success?
FOGHORN
on 1/18/06 12:58 am - sweet home, OR
sean, if you carry most of your weight in the stomach i would recommend either a large bath sheet or a 10 foot rope with knots every 1 foot attached to the bedpost at the floor to help you rise up from bed just after you get home. my surgery was open not lap but these things were the only way i could comfortably get up and out of bed. some people sleep in a recliner at first. also have your liquids and protein already in the house before coming home. your family needs to know that you are unavailable to do most chores or handle their problems for the first few weeks. you get taken care of not vice versa. other than the above just keep walking when you can. this will feel good and help immeasurably. follow your doctors orders and find a support group near you to help reinforce your decision to get healthy. best to you. dave poto
sasmith
on 1/18/06 1:16 pm - Lemoore, CA
David, thanks once again for all your great advice. You reminded me of how painful it was the first time trying to lift myself out of bed! I'm hoping, though, that the pain in the midsection is more pronounced in the open procedure than the laprascopic one. But, like before, the things you've told me have been very helpful. Thanks again.
mandefarmer
on 1/18/06 9:39 am - decatur, IN
Hi Sean I just had my revision 12-21-05 and have lost 27 pounds already. I had my VBG in 98 and like you (I read your profile) I did nothing but puke for the last eight years. Since having the revision to a distal RNY I have not thrown up once. I in the last four weeks have felt better and healthier than I had since the VBG. Like you I went to "easy to eat" foods with the VBG and gained all but 50 pounds back of the 120 I origionally lost. I am so happy that I had the revision done and I am not finding that the weight loss is slower. Plus you being a guy and the "majic" men have when it comes to weight loss it will fall off of you. I also have found that my tastes for food have changed. I don't crave sugar I do crave peanut butter though and if I see something that I WANT but CANT have like ice cream or doughnuts I tell myself I don't need it and its over. Like they gave me willpower along with a new pouch. Before it would drive me crazy if I couldn't have something and then I would give in. Its so much easier to say no now. Splenda is a wonderful thing and its in just about anything. I haven't had any complications and the recovery was much easier than the last time. I really have no complaints. I have never really liked milk but found that protein shakes of every kind had me running not walking to the ladies room. However plain 1% milk gave me no problems. You have to drink a ton of it in the beginning but found that bean soup worked well also. Only thing that has given me trouble was crackers that I didn't have trouble with before. I highly recommend sleeping alot and keeping ahead of the pain. I recovered quicker when I wasn't uncomfortable. I wish you the best of luck. Micah
sasmith
on 1/18/06 1:34 pm - Lemoore, CA
Micah, you're words are like music to my ears. You have no idea how comforting they are. Right now the only thing that worries me is that I have to face Dr. Higa after gaining a few pounds (probably 7 to 10 since the last time I saw him about 2 1/2 months ago) after responding to his suggestion that I try and lose weight before the surgery with reassurances like "Oh, I will. I will, Dr.!" So it's going to be a little embarrassing. But there's not much I can do about it at this point. I can't wait to get through to the side that you're on and I hope my experience is similar to yours. I will definitely keep up with the updates and I'll be keeping tabs on your progress as well. Thanks so much. Sean
mandefarmer
on 1/19/06 8:14 am - decatur, IN
Hey Sean Don't beat yourself up anymore, people with weight issues are constantly treating themselves terribly. You are not alone I was sick of watching everything I ate, something I have done as long as I can remember. And gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted. Now I wouldn't recommend it but it was nice to finally let go of the struggle and guilt of eating. As a result I put on 20 pounds over 2 months. Which kills me now because I would be so much farther now. However, look at it this way if you could lose weight on your own you wouldn't need the surgery. Your doctor should realize that. For once give yourself permission to be you and like who that is. You are about ready to go on the most fantastic journey to find the real you. The person you always wanted to be but probably felt you couldn't. You will do great, and remember that your attitude will shape the outcome. If you would like you can e-mail me at [email protected] I would like to keep up with you too. Micah
CarmallaH
on 2/3/06 5:42 pm - '278/226/ Ellis, TX
Hello, I have the RNY 2004 from the VGB in 1984.. Make sure you talk to him about how much you will be able to eat.. Make sure you tell him your concerns.. like will i gain the weight back.. what if i can eat more that I should, what will we do about that if it happens.. Oh and you are lucky you found a dr who does the revision Lap.. If I have to have another I want it to be La*****n invasive. Good luck Carmalla
Most Active