Revision from Sleeve to By-Pass

lrm1986
on 1/21/19 10:19 am

Hello, I had a sleeve done in 2014, I love it, to this day is works just like I had hoped. I'm about 3-4lbs to goal! Only problem is it did not correct my diabetes and I have GERD off the charts. Last year my surgeon did a PH test and I was off the charts, surgery was approved, and scheduled and I backed out!

Fast forward to this year, I just had my normal six month check up with my Endocrinologist and he says he wants me off the acid meds, as they cause kidney damage, and that is not the long term solution. So next Monday I go back to see the surgeon, and start the process all over.

I'm nervous because my sleeve works so well for my eating and of course I don't know what to expect with the ByPass. I also wonder if anyone who had/has diabetes had a version and their diabetes improved over what the sleeve did for you?

I still am taking two diabetes meds and I would love for them to go away! Also how long was your recovery with your revision? How long were you out of work? Any thing I should be on the look out for?

Thanks in advance!

drea29
on 1/27/19 1:50 pm

i am 3 months post op Sleeve to Bypass. I don't have diabetes so I can't speak to that. My revision was for the GERD. I put the surgery off for a year due to a family illness that needed my immediate attention. I was taking 4 PPI a day for the GERD. I am still taking 2 protonix. My surgeon is surprised as he anticipated me being off all PPI meds after 2 months. It has improved as I am no longer coughing and choking at night. I still have burning in the morning even with taking meds before bed. I am hoping thing improve. I am eating vey bland food. No caffeine.

My recovery was suppose to be 2 weeks. I was out of work for 2 months. I had some complications that I not common. I am also 63 and generally take longer to heal than most.

I was 6 1/2 years post op when I had the revision I had some regain and have lost 25 pounds. I wouldn't be concerned about losing too much weight. It is very different then an original bypass surgery. I lost 133 pounds with the VSG in 15 months.

The one thing that is different is I am developing food intolerances. Maybe not intolerance but changes in what I like to eat. I can't eat oatmeal, avocados or spinach, which were stables of my diet. This morning I made an egg with some broccoli and had to push away the broccoli. These I foods I loved before. I have a pretty limited diet due to another medical issue so this makes me a bit concerned.

I wish you all the best and hope the revision will resolve your diabetes issue.

1Scrambed_3gg
on 3/21/19 8:12 pm

Did you ever have surgery? I had my VSG in DEC. 2014 and I'm moving to a bypass April 17.

lrm1986
on 3/22/19 4:16 am, edited 3/21/19 9:20 pm

Hi there, I was scheduled for surgery next Thursday the 28th, I called yesterday and canceled it! I didn?t have peace about it, so I went and searched if there was any alternative. Someone on another forum told me that her surgeon doesn?t convert folks to bypass but instead performs the LINX procedure. I then reasearched that and yesterday I had my first consult with another surgeons RN in my area that does these! As my bariatric surgeon does not. Google it, it?s a tiny ring of magnets that is placed at the bottom of the esophagus that allows food to go down but keeps the flap closed and doesn't allow acid back up. It's one day in the hospital, you eat regular food immediately, only off work for two weeks, no rearranging anatomy and if for any reason it doesn?t work out it can be removed. I see the surgeon on the 9th of April. Good Luck!

1Scrambed_3gg
on 3/22/19 8:58 am

I wish you luck also! I had read something about that but was unsure about it because I didn't see many review their outcome but being able to remove it is great. Definitely update.

teddybear24910
on 4/2/19 10:24 am
VSG on 12/27/17

I was offered the Linx also, but there just isnt enough info for me. I wanted lap band when I first started this process and my doc told me there are complications with erosion and slippage but those are just coming to light after 10 years on the market The linx isnt that old yet, so i opted for the bypass revision from VSG...im only 15 months out from VSG and already scheduled for bypass on 4/22. Gerd is horrible, and im on meds 3 times a day at double recommended dosage. I havent slept lying down for over a year because if i do, i vomit up some God awful stuff in my sleep, IF i get to sleep that is.

borntobethin35
on 5/22/19 11:03 pm - VA

Hi, how are you doing from your surgery?

HW: 272   SW: 256  CW: 189 GW: 170

1st  Goal:    245:    
Achieved
2nd Goal:    220:    Achieved
3rd  Goal:    199:    Achieved
Final goal:   170

"I thank GOD for allowing me this opportunity to turn my life around"

1Scrambed_3gg
on 5/23/19 7:08 am

Apologies as I want to use this platform more but sometimes I lack understanding the in and outs of it. I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me but.. if you were. Yes, I had my revision on April 17th. The transition was easy but wow! So different from the sleeve.

jmk187
on 5/23/19 2:01 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Hello Just curious if you are a T1 or T2 diabetic and if you keep your carbs in check. I was a really bad T2 diabetic and made the decision before the sleeve that if nothing else I told myself I was going to get my A1C in check for good. I made the decision to completely cut out refined sugar and carbs. I brought my A1C down from 10.1 to 6.5 before surgery doing the Pre-Op diet. 1 month after surgery I had got my A1C down even lower to 5.9. My endocrinologist told me that as of right now I don't have diabetes. They call it cured by diet.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active