Unsure if my weight loss is considered failure for RNY?

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/18 3:29 pm

Wow, I'm so sorry the radiologist was so nasty to you. That is so unprofessional and just completely rude!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Another commenter mentioned they were hungry all the time on plant based diet also, so while I enjoy how much energy I have now and my blood work is the best it's ever been, I'll think I will start swapping some higher carb foods for non dairy protein supplements before I see my surgeon. Thanks again!

Laura in Texas
on 12/8/18 9:33 am

Losing 50% of your excess weight is statistically a success by bariatric standards.

For someone 5'7" tall, a BMI under 25 is 159 pounds. 297-159 = 138 pounds of excess weight. 50% of that is 69 pounds. You have lost 77 pounds (56%) so statistically, you are considered a success.

Some studies I have seen show RNY patients lose on average 65% of their excess weight (that would be losing an additional 13 pounds for you).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/18 3:39 pm

Thank you for all the information and breaking it down, it is very helpful! Though I have been struggling for a while, I am happy to hear that my weight loss is still considered a success and that I'm not too far off from the average. It is very empowering to see that, thanks again!

Most Active