Nighttime Eating

Krisanc19
on 9/4/18 8:28 am - Santa Maria, CA

I was trying to find the best place to post, but some boards haven't been used recently, so I thought I'd try here. In a nutshell, I had my sleeve done in 2015 - had some complications and ended up having it converted to a bypass in November 2017. I used to be a sound sleeper, but a few months after my sleeve, my best friend committed suicide. So, I gradually started eating at night, because I couldn't sleep and found it comforting. Since then, it's been a struggle. I'm working with my psychiatrist, Bariatric surgeon, nutritionist, I go to support group meetings, but I'd love to hear from others who are experiencing this, or have found a way to conquer the beast. I exercise, do my best to eat protein if I wake up (but at 1 am who truly wants protein?), I track my food every day, I've researched tips and tricks, but my nighttime eating causes me to have a lot of anxiety. I also had a hysterectomy in May, and the shift in hormones isn't helping either. I was seeing a therapist as well, but she just judged me and made me feel worse.

I hope someone out there can relate to what I'm going through.

Zaniiaim
on 9/4/18 11:32 am - CA

I can completely relate! And my best friend also committed suicide. It's been such a struggle the past two years, I had RNY March 2012. Nighttime eating is when I don't feel judged or watched and it comforts me like nothing else can. I was also given abilify for my Bipolar disorder a little over a year ago. It caused me to graze nonstop, I made mistakes, but compulsive eating is linked to this med. I am trying to get an appt with a bariatric surgeon in the new state I live in. I really want the switch, this weight gain of 70lbs is Killibg me. I also had a full hysterectomy 3 years ago and we can't seem to get my hormones right. I'm desperate for something

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Krisanc19
on 9/4/18 1:46 pm - Santa Maria, CA

Thank you so much for responding to my post; it is so helpful to know we aren't alone in this! Please accept my condolences on the passing of your friend. If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me.

It sounds like we both have similar things to work through. I used to take Abilify, but gained a lot of weight. I was on Parnate until May, but it caused me to develop Orthostatic Hypotension (basically, I'd stand up, get dizzy, and pass out). I'm currently on Vyvanse and it does give me a boost in the morning; it hasn't really helped with nighttime eating. I also take Klonopin as needed for anxiety.

My original surgeon for for my sleeve, was a jerk. At a follow up he told me I was a failure and wrote me off. Fast forward two years and my gynecologist asked me to meet with another Bariatric surgeon. Reluctantly I agreed. However, the doctor who did my revision is fabulous. She understood my needs and continues to do what she can to make me successful. Getting the revision was the best decision ever. I don't regret it one bit. If I can curb my eating at night, things would be great.

I hope you meet a surgeon that will listen and help you achieve your goals. You've got this!

ironhead
on 9/5/18 8:15 am

I don't want to sound like an alarmist or throw a negative at you, however, when I saw that you take Klonopin which is a Benzodiazepine, I freaked out. My experience with it left me pretty screwed up. It is powerful. It is a monster to withdraw from. From what I've read about it, it can be dangerous and has a whole host of unhealthy side-effects.

Krisanc19
on 9/5/18 4:20 pm - Santa Maria, CA

I've taken klonopin before and am aware of the side effects, but thank you for mentioning your concerns. I have never suffered any ill effects. It's been a lifesaver for me. However, I know everyone has different reactions to their meds.

Zaniiaim
on 9/5/18 3:15 pm - CA

You were also on Abilify?? I was in the pills then the shot for about 9months and I could not stop eating, grazing all day and night. I haven't had a scope yet but I can't get full anymore so I'm assuming my stoma is stretched out. Very angry at my psychiatrist who should have known better than to give me a pill with compulsive eating as a side affect.

what kind of revision did you have? I had my surgery in California and now I live across the country so I never had any follow up with my original surgeon. I was doing great til this past year. I do yoga and cardio religiously, follow my rules take my supplements, and I have to starve myself to lose a pound. It's so frustrating to basically be back where I started. The bariatric surgeon here has yet to call me back so I can make an appt, they want my original records which no one can seem to find as the hospital was bought out. I just want to do something ASAP before my self esteem goes further down.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Krisanc19
on 9/5/18 4:27 pm - Santa Maria, CA

I took Abilify before my gastric surgeries. I grazed quite a bit and gained some weight while taking it. (I haven't taken it for a few years.) I had my sleeve converted to a bypass. I had horrible GERD and was choking on bile a few times a night. My prescription meds for GERD were of no use. My new surgeon had me do a barium swallow and said the revision would take away the GERD (which it did). I had to lose 12 pounds before surgery and work with a nutritionist for six months, but it was worth it! I lost 29 pounds prior to my revision and have had no GERD. I know finding a good doctor is tough, but don't settle with someone who isn't a good fit. It's very frustrating to seek help and have doctors who aren't receptive.

Donna L.
on 9/8/18 10:08 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Fire the judgey therapist. We aren't all judgey I promise.

Eating at night is a big sign of emotion regulation or what we call low distress tolerance. That isn't necessarily your fault, actually, but, well, goodness look at what's been going on. That is awful...I am so sorry for your loss.

My rule is we don't take things away without replacing them. Instead of eating, could you do something else? Don't laugh, but there are weighted blankets great for anxiety and PTSD that are very comforting. some people will hug them or wrap themselves in them. Have hobbies or things to keep your hands busy...things you enjoy which are not eating. I have had PTSD and nightmares so I get it...they suck, and they don't really care that I don't want to scarf donuts. If you absolutely have to eat, and yeah I feel you on the protein, have alternatives and ditch the rest. I had to be ruthless because I literally would eat anything when I had similar issues. Now I don't keep any at home because I can't. I have to get a hysterectomy within the next year or so myself.

There is nothing I can say to make things better, because they are awful, but I can say that you have made it through a lot. It may not seem like you can ever have relief from anxiety, however that doesn't mean tomorrow you won't.

The one thing I will say: be kind to yourself above all else. you deserve kindness and compassion, esp. from yourself.

You are not a bad person who is choosing to shoot themselves in the butt. You are not an eff-up. You are not terrible. You are suffering, and frankly anyone who doesn't get the power of comfort when we are suffering, especially a therapist, should hush up.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

MarinaGirl
on 9/9/18 8:15 am
On September 8, 2018 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

Eating at night is a big sign of emotion regulation or what we call low distress tolerance. That isn't necessarily your fault, actually, but, well, goodness look at what's been going on. That is awful...I am so sorry for your loss.

My rule is we don't take things away without replacing them. Instead of eating, could you do something else? Don't laugh, but there are weighted blankets great for anxiety and PTSD that are very comforting. some people will hug them or wrap themselves in them. Have hobbies or things to keep your hands busy...things you enjoy which are not eating. I have had PTSD and nightmares so I get it...they suck, and they don't really care that I don't want to scarf donuts. If you absolutely have to eat, and yeah I feel you on the protein, have alternatives and ditch the rest. I had to be ruthless because I literally would eat anything when I had similar issues. Now I don't keep any at home because I can't. I have to get a hysterectomy within the next year or so myself.

There is nothing I can say to make things better, because they are awful, but I can say that you have made it through a lot. It may not seem like you can ever have relief from anxiety, however that doesn't mean tomorrow you won't.

The one thing I will say: be kind to yourself above all else. you deserve kindness and compassion, esp. from yourself.

You are not a bad person who is choosing to shoot themselves in the butt. You are not an eff-up. You are not terrible. You are suffering, and frankly anyone who doesn't get the power of comfort when we are suffering, especially a therapist, should hush up.

What a great post Donna!!! I have a sister that really struggles with nighttime eating and wI'm going to share what you've written to see if it helps her. Big hug.

jeaneallenn
on 4/21/19 10:37 am
On September 8, 2018 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

My sister had the same issues regarding sleep. We read some articles about the weighted and magic blankets. We also checked some videos. I didn't trust a piece of blanket can recover you from insomnia. But dramatically it helped my 24 years old sister. She was suffering since last 2-3 years. I won't say a weighted blanket will fully recover you from insomnia or sleep-related issues. But it will help you in another way. Take my words.

Sources I read,

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/qve9kb/the-blanket-that s-heavy-with-promises-of-perfect-sleep

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20180402/seeking- better-sleep-under-a-weighted-blanket

https://pushtofitness.com/weighted-blanket-for-adults-guide/

https://www.mosaicweightedblankets.com/insomnia/

Most Active